AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible bloat?

Registered Member

Default Possible bloat?

I just noticed this last night, I treated him/her for bloat in the tank with other Discus with Epsom salt @ 1 tablespoon per gallon and then again four hours later without results, however with other fish getting the same treatment its hard to tell where the poop came from.
    So I just moved him to a ten gallon tank for easier observation. I also treated again with Epsom salt and Metro and now its just a waiting game I guess.
    The bloating is mostly on one side and I'm not sure this is even bloat so I thought I would post here for any suggestions.
    The fish acts normal, no weird behavior.

20180113_131000.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Possible bloat?

Doesn't look like bloat to me. More like an intra- abdominal mass. How old is this fish?

Registered Member

2 years old.
    What ever it is, it came fast

Real Name
    Steve

I was thinking maybe a tumor if it was an older fish. Probably not in just a 2 year old. Maybe an abscess?
    I still don't think it's bloat or it would be swollen on both sides equally. Plus it probably would have improved with Epsom salts.
    About the only other thing you could try is an antibiotic like Furan or Kanamycin.

Registered Member

I have never had a fish with bloat so I was not sure what to expect, I thought the swelling should be equal on both sides also.
    I have kanamycin coming but I expect to loose this fish in the end. Metro and paragard have no noticeable effect.
    Here is a picture of the other side.
    BTW; This fish is not dark like these pictures show, it must be the lighting because the tank light is not on. This is a beautiful fish.
    20180113_130951.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

The discus I've treated for bloat have always responded to Epsom salts within 1-2 days. That's why it's probably not bloat.
    I'm actually a veterinarian, and if it were my fish I'd probably try sticking that area with a small needle and syringe to see if I could aspirate anything out like pus or fluid. That's probably the only way you could get a diagnosis.
    If it does happen to eventually die, dissect it and see what it is and let us know here.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 01-14-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Registered Member

I wonder if this could be some sort of injury? I wonder this because it appeared so suddenly...

Real Name
    Steve

I have no idea what kind of injury would cause something like that.

Registered Member

It's a bare bottom tank with a single piece of driftwood that has no sharp points or edges.
    Well I will see how it goes and I will post back as things progress.
    Thanks for your input...

Registered Member

Now it has a clear bubble right on the end of it? It looks like a giant zip except it is clear where it would normally be yellow on us?

20180114_223938.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

I had a very similar case where my discus had a lump on the same spot ,i treated with Epsom salt which emptied his inside but the lump was still there ,i very nearly was about to pierce the lump with a very narrow syringe 0.4 mm but at the last minute decided to opt out for an antibiotic , in the mean time discus started head standing and a severe case of fin rot , i started administering a 5 day course of minocycline in a 20 g BB tank , 2 weeks later head standing ,the lump and the fin rot are finished but he still not eating so i am changing water with 1 TBS of salt per 10 liter of water and patience.
    I hope this helps

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    I had a very similar case where my discus had a lump on the same spot ,i treated with Epsom salt which emptied his inside but the lump was still there ,i very nearly was about to pierce the lump with a very narrow syringe 0.4 mm but at the last minute decided to opt out for an antibiotic , in the mean time discus started head standing and a severe case of fin rot , i started administering a 5 day course of minocycline in a 20 g BB tank , 2 weeks later head standing ,the lump and the fin rot are finished but he still not eating so i am changing water with 1 TBS of salt per 10 liter of water and patience.
    I hope this helps
    It does help knowing someone else has had something similar. This fish shows no signs of anything being wrong with the exception of not eating since I moved him which is normal for a Discus not to eat when you change their environment, so i have not considered that a problem yet.
    Yeah I would like to make a small incision in the head of that thing but so far I have refrained from doing so. I have an antibiotic coming but have never needed one until now, I suppose it will be good to have on hand.
    Thanks for your comment...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

You have done every thing right so far ,the lump might be the result of either worms or internal bacterial infection, you are using metro so worms are taken care of but my guess is internal infection,the drug of choice is furan 2 but my preference goes to minocycline ( maracyn 2 ) which can be absorbed through the skin since your fish does not eat but furan 2 is good as well.
    I would leave the incision as the last resort ( you have to know where you put the needle without puncturing an unrelated organ ) and 80% of the time you get a secondary infection , may i also suggest to reduce your temp to about 80 f and add 1 TBS salt per g to reduce bacterial activity to minimum.
    Good luck.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    You have done every thing right so far ,the lump might be the result of either worms or internal bacterial infection, you are using metro so worms are taken care of but my guess is internal infection,the drug of choice is furan 2 but my preference goes to minocycline ( maracyn 2 ) which can be absorbed through the skin since your fish does not eat but furan 2 is good as well.
    I would leave the incision as the last resort ( you have to know where you put the needle without puncturing an unrelated organ ) and 80% of the time you get a secondary infection , may i also suggest to reduce your temp to about 80 f and add 1 TBS salt per g to reduce bacterial activity to minimum.
    Good luck.
    I don't plan on trying to cut-stick-stab or anything like that and I'm using salt (but not at that dose) however the temp is elevated but I can reduce it to 80 and add more salt.
    I understand for some reason Maracyn 2 has been out of production for a while but I found some and bought it off eBay (just now).
    Thanks for the help...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

If it is an infection Kanamycin is a good choice for this, since it is well absorbed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16502697

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...tic_use7.shtml

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast