AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

If my thinking is correct, and knowing myself if I buy a new skimmer now it can come in handy when I do upgrade as I can just run it on the current tank as I intend to still have it running with a softie/RBTA type tank lol. Guess it can all work out. I suppose I can always look at the externals too and just plumb it in.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    If my thinking is correct, and knowing myself if I buy a new skimmer now it can come in handy when I do upgrade as I can just run it on the current tank as I intend to still have it running with a softie/RBTA type tank lol. Guess it can all work out. I suppose I can always look at the externals too and just plumb it in.
    No space what-so-ever to put a sump under your current tank?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I can make space, but how badly do I want to go through it? Then we start talking about drilling a tank again, housing livestock while that happens, etc. Ugh it'd be nice but not sure I want to go through the trouble on an established system. Much easier doing it on a fresh system.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

I can make space, but how badly do I want to go through it? Then we start talking about drilling a tank again, housing livestock while that happens, etc. Ugh it'd be nice but not sure I want to go through the trouble on an established system. Much easier doing it on a fresh system.
    I mean you already have a HOB skimmer, you can have a HOB U bend to get water down to your sump temporarily without drilling your tank. It isn't ideal, but it is an option.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Ever looked into a Mame overflow? No drilling required

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/01/20/...erflow-review/

I have a hang on back overflow on my 29g reef tank going to a 15g sump with no problems. Skimmer, heater are in the sump.
    Eric M

Real Name
    Matt

Now y'all are seriously making me think about drilling this tank. I can bear breaking this more than a 100gal if it comes to that. I just need to research and see if I can actually drill this tank, business went under not to long ago. Wheels are turning. Have a lot to decide.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Now y'all are seriously making me think about drilling this tank. I can bear breaking this more than a 100gal if it comes to that. I just need to research and see if I can actually drill this tank, business went under not to long ago. Wheels are turning. Have a lot to decide.
    Sunglass and LED torch to find out if it is tempered. Hardly any manufacturer uses it for sides though.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Is Starphire/low iron glass tempered? Can it be either or? It's a starphire cube so I'm basically trusting the manufactuer/builder as to what the front/sides are by where he placed his sticker. That doesn't mean it's correct though. Basically the pane I'm using as my front now may not actually be the designed front of the tank being a cube.

I'm also adding up full upgrade costs. If I'm putting money into a sump, new skimmer, overflow, etc then how much of that would be in an entire new build. Might be worth it to spend a bit more and get a new tank at the same time. Back to the calculator.

Speaking of new tank, if you plan a 20" wide tank, then use a 18" ghost overflow, would you just run your returns locline over the top? Any other ideas since there won't be any room beside the overflow to run returns? Putting them any lower would risk suction correct?
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Is Starphire/low iron glass tempered? Can it be either or? It's a starphire cube so I'm basically trusting the manufactuer/builder as to what the front/sides are by where he placed his sticker. That doesn't mean it's correct though. Basically the pane I'm using as my front now may not actually be the designed front of the tank being a cube.

I'm also adding up full upgrade costs. If I'm putting money into a sump, new skimmer, overflow, etc then how much of that would be in an entire new build. Might be worth it to spend a bit more and get a new tank at the same time. Back to the calculator.

Speaking of new tank, if you plan a 20" wide tank, then use a 18" ghost overflow, would you just run your returns locline over the top? Any other ideas since there won't be any room beside the overflow to run returns? Putting them any lower would risk suction correct?
    Correct. If you are set on drilling the tank, then don't get an internal overflow. Simply silicone one in to place on your own. If you will have a black back, simply go get some black acrylic and silicone it to place. Then, you can do a return that goes through the back wall via BH's and then through the inner overflow. Had I more room than my 11.5" glass pane that is the approach I would have done on mine. To be honest, I only resort to loc line because I had to. However, in your situation, I would do as I said above, but when you are at the inner overflow, simply drill out a 3/4" bulkhead and use a low profile strainer. This would GREATLY reduce the intrusive look that I so desperately love in my tank designs. YMMV of course.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

New FTS from today. Need to top it up but won't have RO water on hand until tomorrow. Still not dosing, simple WCs. Keep it simple right? More out of laziness currently I'd say though....still doing quite well though! Kind of a quick dirty shot, have my HOB on the tank on the left just to clear it up after a WC and stiring things up and still have the screen net on top...not very photogenic but it's about whats in the tank right?? Sometimes I still surprise myself how well a 15gal full of SPS is doing. So many people said it couldn't be done or would be incredibly tough.

-Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

SPS is looking really great in there. I'm surprised you are not dosing considering you have an Apex! I plan on getting a Bubble Magus T11 and probably make some custom acrylic dosing containers since they will need to be special dims for me to fit them in the stand.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Well like I said, its more so out of pure laziness than anything lol. Meant to get back on it but just haven't. Found a sort of groove with WCs and haven't really cared to change it, though I'm sure I could push more growth out by dosing.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Well like I said, its more so out of pure laziness than anything lol. Meant to get back on it but just haven't. Found a sort of groove with WCs and haven't really cared to change it, though I'm sure I could push more growth out by dosing.
    What would you dose prior? I am thinking of keeping it simple and go two-part and mag

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I was doing two part and MG, then I did a little Kalk to keep my pH up a bit to hinder algae growth. Didn't do it long enough to really get a preference for either but kalk is so much cheaper.
    -Matt

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast