ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's F1 Growouts from Wild Parents - A Pleasant Surprise!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: A Pleasant Surprise!

Hi Pat. I have especially been watching for color in the eyes since the female had red eyes, the male did not (just a touch). There are a good number with some red in the eyes. A few of them have either a black or deep blue tip to the dorsal fin. Maybe that will turn reddish? We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hey Frank, they look great . Are you seeing any color forming in the eyes?
    Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It's a strange thing but I have a thing about bars as well. A lot of folks don't even notice broken bars.
    You or Willie will know. Are straight up and down even bars a show fish issue? Frank has a batch of very healthy looking fish. And Frank is doing the forum a great and wonderful service with his factitious documentation of his fish. I would recommend this for sticky status in the breeding section.

Never, at least not one that might win an award. But remember, these are not show fish. They are Franks fish, and Frank can't even bring himself to cull a short gill plate. Not everyone is as hard hearted as I am.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-24-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Norm, Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. If they did give it sticky status, I would recommend changing the title of the thread to more accurately describe the contents.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    You or Willie will know. Are straight up and down even bars a show fish issue? Frank has a batch of very healthy looking fish. And Frank is doing the forum a great and wonderful service with his factitious documentation of his fish. I would recommend this for sticky status in the breeding section.
    Last edited by fljones3; 07-25-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Real Name
    Frank

Well, I don’t know about my not being able to cull discus. I was going to cull the one with the short gill plate several times. I was advised to consider holding off by two on the forum unless it got sick. One, to maintain a larger group of discus. I only had 21 fry. If I had 100 fry; then yes, the short gill plate would have already been culled. Secondly, that I could use that one as a hero fish, if necessary, down the road.

Concerning the bars, I would assume that this tendency would be passed on to F2’s if they were bred. If I were working on a more pure (show?) F2 line then I would cull them. I don’t know if I would consider culling as hard-heartedness, as much as purpose. What is my aim with the fry line? I would assume that there would be many hobbyists that would be very happy with F1 Wilds even if the bars are not perfect.

Never, at least not one that might win an award. But remember, these are not show fish. They are Franks fish, and Frank can't even bring himself to cull a short gill plate. Not everyone is as hard hearted as I am.

Registered Member

The question of bars occurred to me because it was a question that applied to my preference yet I do too have discus, bot Heckel as it turned out, that no not have parallel bars. It matters not to most people and that is a good thing. I had a fish time ago that whose bars formed an X. Of all my fish over time that is the one that I recall to this day. I have two Heckel that both have a Y on the right side center bar.

This from our vast library it discusses eye color. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tics-Eye-Color

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would not cull wild F1s for crooked bars but I will admit that I prefer straight bars on my wild fish. In my little bit of experience breeding wild discus, wild blues seem to have more crooked bars then wild greens. This is reflected in the F1s as well.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Frank

I think I have 3-4 with non-straight bars.

Real Name
    Frank

I have the same strong preference. I enjoy the hobby and have no intention for show, so I would not cull just because the bars are not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    The question of bars occurred to me because it was a question that applied to my preference yet I do too have discus, bot Heckel as it turned out, that no not have parallel bars. It matters not to most people and that is a good thing. I had a fish time ago that whose bars formed an X. Of all my fish over time that is the one that I recall to this day. I have two Heckel that both have a Y on the right side center bar.

This from our vast library it discusses eye color. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tics-Eye-Color

Real Name
    Frank

10 week birthday! I think we are around 2.3-2.5 inches at this point.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Registered Member

Awesome, all look uniform in size and shape.

Cliff

A compliment from Cliff is like winning a prize. One day I hope to get one myself.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Growing fast Frank and boy they look good. I think I am seeing a hint of color in some eyes. You may see some blue start to show up in the fins near the tail.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I think you should be very proud on how they're turning out Frank. I would love any of these guys in my tank to raise as beautiful adults. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us on here.
    Enjoy the spoils of your labor.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You've done a magnificent job Frank. Very well done sir!

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast