AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus in New York

Registered Member

Default Discus in New York

Hello simply members... Can anybody tell me if there´s any discus breeder or recomend me a good LFS in NYC?

Thanks!

Default Re: Discus in New York

Quote Originally Posted by mordiscos View Post
    Hello simply members... Can anybody tell me if there´s any discus breeder or recomend me a good LFS in NYC?

Thanks!
    Hi morediscos,

Welcome to Simply Discus!

I haven't bought from all our sponsors, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them if you don't mind having fish shipped. I've found I can't find good quality locally, so shipping is the way to go and more often than not I think you'll find you have less issues and better quality for your money.

Hope it helps!
    David

38 Aquarium
    371 Broome Street
    New York, NY 10013-3736
    Very nice discus, priced above most stores but again very nice discus. The whole place basically is flowerhorn, arrowana, expensive stuff. The only reason I go here is to check out the discus.
    (212) 966-0397

Pacific Aquarium & Plant
    46 Delancey Street
    New York, NY 10002-2936
    so so but good selection of salt water fish.
    (212) 995-5895

Aqua Star
    not sure the address but he is on Mullberry. The old man's name is Sam. Very nice guy. I got 2 turk blue 5.5 inches from him. He lets me know each time if he has bigger sizes.
    212-431-4311

I know an importer, however, it is hit or miss. I have gotten 4 Super Red, 6.5-7inches from this guy. Most places price these around 150-200. He sells them way cheaper. These fish were all very fat and round and very rich color but 2 fish have white poo...So it is hit or miss. I don't think he holds his fish for 2 weeks to check for illness. He probably sell them off the very next day he gets them. So hit or miss. If you are interested in this place. Let me know.

Registered Member

derunren, could you please pm me the contact info for the importer you were refering too. He is in new York, correct?

Thanks

Blue Gold Aquarium
    8612 Whitney Avenue Flushing, NY 11373-3658
    (718) 565-8583

He operates a small store Elmhurst. He have to ask him about discus then he will show you his basement, some 20+ tanks. Summer is slower he doesn't import as many. Do not put your new fish into your community tank right away. It is a always a risk putting fish together in a community thats why people who owns expensive Flowerhorn have 1 fish per tank.

I have bought a pair of his discus from his partner in NYC and was supposely said held for 2 weeks already before selling. I bought them home and put into my spare tank for holding for 1 week then into my community tank. These two fish wiped out half of my discus and they themselves died 1 week later.

Anyway not every fish is sick but you most likely will find much better fish for your buck.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Are these strickly wilds that he imports?

I am not sure if he imports any wilds. I never have gotten both any wilds ones. I prefer farm raised strains which are usually far more colorful.

I have seen wilds there but they were very sick and infested with worms growing out of the body. Some shipments are very infected, some have nice fish, you take your chances and discus keepers, good ones, never take chances.
    Mark

Registered Member

Well, I just got back from Blue Gold aquariums and I must say that even though they did not have much, I was very impressed. They had some strains that I had not seen before and their prices were awesome. Thier fish all looked very healthy. With that said thanks for the referal.

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Good luck.

now take my advice and buy from a sponsor here (please don't buy from me, that's not what I'm trying to do, to sell some Discus)

With Discus, even if they LOOK healthy it's NOT ALWAYS what it is.

Again, I'm not trying to sell Discus here, buy from Kenny, Mike, Dan, Kraig, who ever, just try to save you some troubles,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Agreed< I will never buy from anyone other than a reputable sponsor here! I learned that the hard way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Good luck.

now take my advice and buy from a sponsor/breeder here (please don't buy from me, that's not what I'm trying to do, to sell some Discus)

With Discus, even if they LOOK healthy it's NOT ALWAYS what it is.

Again, I'm not trying to sell Discus here, buy from Kenny, Mike, Dan, Kraig, who ever, just try to save you some troubles,

Hans
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten