AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it better to get a long tank or a high tank for discus breeding?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Is it better to get a long tank or a high tank for discus breeding?

Recently I sold all of my cardinal tetras and red cherry shrimp so it will make the discus less distracted and focus on breeding. However, I still have 12 panda corydora left(surprisingly i dont know how they survived in 84-85 degree temperature and the discus doesnt really do anything to them. Anyway, if they won't breed because of the corys then I might have to get another tank. I was wondering if it is better to get a long tank or a high tank? I see at petsmart there is i believe a 20 gallon hexagon tank for 80 bucks and it might be good for the height but any opinions?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Is it better to get a long tank or a high tank for discus breeding?

My first discus source was a guy named Herman at Fairy Lake's in San Francisco and he always said higher tanks are best for discus and I believe this to be true. I use regular 20g tanks for pairs as opposed to longs. Have you noticed that discus always seem swim up an down as opposed to side to side?

Either a 20 high or a 29.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

My discus has been swimming up and down lately and it seem like they are trying to find a spot but dont know for sure. I also see them shimmering their fins as well towards each other. I think i might not feed them while this breeding process is occuring.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    My first discus source was a guy named Herman at Fairy Lake's in San Francisco and he always said higher tanks are best for discus and I believe this to be true. I use regular 20g tanks for pairs as opposed to longs. Have you noticed that discus always seem swim up an down as opposed to side to side?
    What type of equipment do you use for your breeding tank? People told me to only use a sponge filter and heater but i dont know if the tank needs a filter.

Real Name
    Filip

What do you think Brian , does this counts for all discus tanks ,or just breeder tanks ?
    Most of the oppinions I've come across here on SD prefers lenght over hight but I also know pretty experienced discus keepers that swears in 30inch hight tanks for discus .

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GqyForPay View Post
    What type of equipment do you use for your breeding tank? People told me to only use a sponge filter and heater but i dont know if the tank needs a filter.
    Yes, I use sponge filter and heater only. Your tank definitely needs a filter, even with water changes. Even trace amounts of ammonia can kill the fry.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    What do you think Brian , does this counts for all discus tanks ,or just breeder tanks ?
    Most of the oppinions I've come across here on SD prefers lenght over hight but I also know pretty experienced discus keepers that swears in 30inch hight tanks for discus .
    Well, on smaller tanks I would always prefer height over length. But on larger tanks, most are already pretty high no matter how long. I'd think it's personal preference or footprint.

Herman used 29 high's for his breeder tanks.

Registered Member

Well, on smaller tanks I would always prefer height over length. But on larger tanks, most are already pretty high no matter how long. I'd think it's personal preference or footprint.

Herman used 29 high's for his breeder tanks.
    My first Discus came from Herman as well. I had 4 breeding tanks running with his fish all high 20 gallons bare tank with flower pot and the plastic in tank filter loaded with peat moss. I was recently given a 30 gallon high from a long time angle and discus breeder along with a heater and an Aqua Clear 70 filter. I added an Aqua Clear "mini" filter and an 8 inch aerator to compensate for the 6 Discus. Five per gallon but what I am looking for is pairings. Once found then I will move them to the 20 gallon. Also I agree that that the high tanks take up less room from the foot print perspective.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    My first Discus came from Herman as well.
    Small world, lol...

Registered Member

Small world, lol...
    I drove from Seattle to San Francisco to get those fish from Herman. They made the 2 day drive back to Seattle without incident, grew out in those 20 gallon tanks and spawned both often and always. Using few water changes, home made beef heart, peat moss in the filter, and the only information available, a 1970 book about Discus by somebody Alexrod. Forget who he was. Now that I know about water changes and all of this other medical stuff I feel sorry for those poor fish.

Real Name
    Bill

Just a random thought or two before you buy the hexagon tank... there's no reason short term you wouldn't be fine I wouldn't think but longer term those tanks have more seams and at least back in the day they were always more likely to leak than others. (I worked part-time in an LFS almost 30 years ago and I remember my boss resealing one in the back and saying as much.) If you really like the look and you have space (i.e., not trying to fit it into a rack or the like), then it might be worth it, esp. if on sale. But if it's more expensive and you're not in love with it, I think any of the traditional sized rectangles are probably more versatile as well as more reliable long term.

Real Name
    Willie

I've moved to larger, but taller tanks for breeding pairs - mostly because I remove the parents and keep the fry in the breeding tank. I'm using 30 gal or 37 gal cubes, which are 18" deep. They're really easy to clean and have the height.

As for Herman, I found this picture in my archives. Have no idea when it was taken, but likely 15 years ago. My daughter lives about six blocks from the old Fairy Lake Discus Palace and I still walk by there. It's shuttered, but I do see a few fish in the tanks through the window. Oh the good old days...

Berkeley-20140516-00470 (2).jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Brian

Awesome photo Willie! He looks the same except 40 years older, lol.. He would never remember me, but he always welcomed that little 9 year old kid who stopped by his shop on his way home from school... I even got to clean a tank from time to time, lol...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I've moved to larger, but taller tanks for breeding pairs - mostly because I remove the parents and keep the fry in the breeding tank. I'm using 30 gal or 37 gal cubes, which are 18" deep. They're really easy to clean and have the height.

As for Herman, I found this picture in my archives. Have no idea when it was taken, but likely 15 years ago. My daughter lives about six blocks from the old Fairy Lake Discus Palace and I still walk by there. It's shuttered, but I do see a few fish in the tanks through the window. Oh the good old days...

Berkeley-20140516-00470 (2).jpg
    Willie,
    Was that picture taken after we had dim sum
    at Flower Lounge back around July 2007,
    during the ACA Convention at Sacramento?

Cliff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast