AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Our Discus Timeline

Registered Member

Default Our Discus Timeline

Okay so we don't have that big of a timeline for owning discus, but a lot has been learned. Also let me start by saying that none of our discus are "show quality" and most of them were purchased at the LFS and a couple of them from a local hobbyist off of craigslist. I know that a lot of members here won't be too happy to hear that, but we love our fish all the same and we think we've done a pretty good job of selecting some healthy specimens.

So about 9 months ago when we moved into our condo, my fiance got the idea of getting a fish tank. She wanted to see some "prrreetty fishies" and after a little bit of research on the internet and some books she decided on Discus. I had never kept Discus in my years of fishkeeping, but I was up to the challenge. I researched a bit online and read some books before picking up a nice budget tank on craigslist. A 55 gallon acrylic tank. We started off with 5 Discus to start: 2 Red Melons, 1 Wild Brown, 1 High Body Blue Diamond, 1 Snakeskin? Please correct me if I am not ID'ng these fish correctly.

Thought these fish were going to die by the end of the week. They were dark, constantly hiding, and did not eat.

After about a week and a half I finally got all of them feeding on frozen bloodworms. Here they are emerging from their shell.

This guy did not make it. He ended up with a cloudy eye so I quarantined and treated him in a separate tank. Eventually stopped feeding and died. Too bad because I think he could grown into a nice fish.

Later added this guy to the tank. One of our "nicer" discus.

Finally acclimated! The gang out in full force waiting to be fed.

One night during dinner my fiance noticed the melons huddled in the corner. Upon closer inspection we noticed eggs!. Woo hoo! We have a pair! They've bred about 10 times since then and the eggs always get eaten.

I was originally going for a low tech plant setup, but that didn't work out too well with the fish growing out and all the water changes. Plants started dying off, so I did away with a few things to create more space.

On my birthday I made an impulse buy.

More fish, more tank space! Picked up another craigslist bargain buy. Traded in my 55 and 50 bucks for this 90gal. Needed a lot of work though.

I need WOOD!

Picked up a few pieces in the hills. Glad I know where this stuff grows.

Some steel wool did an excellent job of cleaning the pieces.

Another addition and our biggest discus in the tank. He's a gentle giant.

Fully furnished and enjoying their new home.

The lone loach. Don't know what kind he is.

Up until last week, we thought our melons were lemons lol, until I woke up one morning to see this. Eggs with dark centers, and i do believe I see one wiggler emerging. But the eggs ended up disappearing somehow. Not sure if they got eaten or fell off. Hoping to move these guys into their own tank soon so they can do their thing without any interruptions. Our next chapter in fishkeeping.

Feeding Video

Well that's our voyage so far. I'll try to keep SD updated with any changes or additons. Hope you've all enjoyed. Comments and feedback are welcome.

Jason

Default Re: Our Discus Timeline

Nice job!
    Bill

You seem to be doing very well debuting your discus addiction. And your tank looks great. Keep up the good work.

Looking good guys. Glad you're happy with what you have! That's the most important thing in this hobby.
    - Dan

Thank you for the great pictures! I especially enjoyed the video!! I'm new to Discus and really like their great personalities. Congrats on the beautiful fish and tank and good luck with future spawns.
    Sincerely,
    Sharon

Pretty darn good for starting out my friend, a few stunted guys in there which is to be expected from most LFS, but your care looks to be very good and as such you will be amazed at the stock if you choose to check out some of the sponsors here and their fish. That checkerboard pigeon looks pretty good though, idk where he came from but he has pretty good shape and eyes and such.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You seem to be doing very well debuting your discus addiction. And your tank looks great. Keep up the good work.
    +1 Your tank is looking good, and your coping with your addiction very well!! That is much more then I could say at the beginning of my discus adventures.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wjmulder View Post
    Nice job!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    Looking good guys. Glad you're happy with what you have! That's the most important thing in this hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by baeya View Post
    Thank you for the great pictures! I especially enjoyed the video!! I'm new to Discus and really like their great personalities. Congrats on the beautiful fish and tank and good luck with future spawns.
    Thanks for the kind words guys! I've learned a lot on this site using the advanced search and reading all the stickies. I really wanted to do my homework and make sure I was going to be serious about the hobby before putting up a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDrew View Post
    Pretty darn good for starting out my friend, a few stunted guys in there which is to be expected from most LFS, but your care looks to be very good and as such you will be amazed at the stock if you choose to check out some of the sponsors here and their fish. That checkerboard pigeon looks pretty good though, idk where he came from but he has pretty good shape and eyes and such.
    Thanks DiscusDrew. The white faced melon and the high body blue diamond are surely stunted. They haven't grown ever since I got them. The yellow faced melon and the checkerboard pigeon are still growing strong. Those two also have the biggest appetites. All of the others have peaked off in growth. And yes the pigeon is also from the LFS and is the king of the tank. I think I know what to look for now; small eyes, round body, thick head and an aggressive appetite.

I'm glad you didn't take that as mean because I did not intend it that way, I was completely serious when I said it looks better than just about every beginner tank i've ever seen. I just always hope that people continue to grow and learn in this hobby, and as a few basic points you hit it head on. Foreheads should be thick and full, round symmetrical body shape, the eye should fit at least 7 or 8 times if you Drew a line vertically through the center of the eye. Also continuity of pattern, but at the end of the day what maters is that you like them. After all, I still have my first two discus, stunted yes, but they also represent a time of learning and education, before the madness of this hobby caught me by storm... Somehow two tanks became 12, Idk what happened its all a blur haha.
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

Registered Member

I'm glad you didn't take that as mean because I did not intend it that way, I was completely serious when I said it looks better than just about every beginner tank i've ever seen. I just always hope that people continue to grow and learn in this hobby, and as a few basic points you hit it head on. Foreheads should be thick and full, round symmetrical body shape, the eye should fit at least 7 or 8 times if you Drew a line vertically through the center of the eye. Also continuity of pattern, but at the end of the day what maters is that you like them. After all, I still have my first two discus, stunted yes, but they also represent a time of learning and education, before the madness of this hobby caught me by storm... Somehow two tanks became 12, Idk what happened its all a blur haha.
    Drew, I didn't take your comments mean at all. I was prepared for some criticism when I first started the thread. Like you said, as long as I'm happy with them, that's all that matters. Stunted discus need love too. LOL Thanks for the compliments. They mean a lot.

12 Tanks!? I barely have the space/time to maintain 2 tanks. I wanna say I'll get there someday, but I don't think I will. LOL The most tanks I've ever owned was 4.

Very nice,just starting myself and already addicted.
    Keep up the good work.

I was completely serious when I said it looks better than just about every beginner tank i've ever seen.
    That's what I was thinking. When I started I had never heard of Simply, and had tons of disease issues. Looks to me like you've got the most important part of discus keeping down ~ water changes and maintenance. Looks great!

Wow!!
    Looks real nice..