AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Suddenly Sick

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Very Suddenly Sick

Jeff, Dan only has the 1 kg @ $149. Any other sources. I did look a little.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hello Pat,

helps to explain one of the two behaviors I have seen. One is the hard, strong darting I have seen. The other is the discus is rigid, curled in a C with its body and appears to be having a seizer.
    I thought I have explained both? 1) Whirling and darting and 2) Stiffness of the body which means seizer?

I am confused as to metric and lbs....so just do the dose I recommended and convert it yourself....with whatever brandname metro...... I am sure Jeff can help and recommend.

Yes, you can continue with salt treatment @ 150gms to 200gms per 100 liters of water. That should be sufficient to replenish and prevent dehydration if there is wound and is leaching of salt and the body is depleting salt.. Salt @ above 300gms per 100 liters of water is not good for the discus in long term and may damage their liver.....while 1kg per 100 liters of water, could permanently damage organs or kill young discus in days.

This is because discus spleen carries less than 1.5ppt of salt. That's why they are not brackish water creature. Guppy spleen salinity is 4ppt and that why they are adapted to brackish water and can thrive in salinity of 8 to 10 ppt of salt.
    All the best!

Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Soh; 06-06-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    [B]'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1909364&id=751354834&comments=#/home.php?ref=home

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Andrew for all the help. You are teaching me a lot and appreciate that. Your books will be a good investment for me. No worries on metric/lbs conversion. Just ensuring I get the doses right...sort of thinking out loud.

Yikes - hate to steer business away from sponsor - my other source in FL is Jehmco it is best to call them. They will have smaller lots http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html

Real Name
    Francis

Ken Mendard(Simply Discus Sponsor) also has ARG Metro for sale too....I got mine there.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jpdevol View Post
    Yikes - hate to steer business away from sponsor - my other source in FL is Jehmco it is best to call them. They will have smaller lots http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Ken Mendard(Simply Discus Sponsor) also has ARG Metro for sale too....I got mine there.
    No worries, I just ordered 500 mg from Ken so all good...sorry Dan.

You are most welcome.......Pat.

Andrew
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1909364&id=751354834&comments=#/home.php?ref=home

Pat,

Just a final reminder, metronidazole may not work as effectively as Gabbrocol. That's is the result from my experimentation with both drugs.

As for metronidazole, you may need repeated treatments......over a period of 2 months while for Gabbrocol, also in water and in feed, one treatment is sufficient as it is easily ingested and absorbed by the discus epidermis/organs.

Take care,
    Andrew

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Andrew,

How many days between treatments and same treatment regiment as outlined above? Also thanks for checking back in. The metronidazole should be here Wednesday or Thrusday.

Pat

No Pat,

Thetreatment regime and dosage for Gabbrocol is totally different from Metro. Once you get your hands on it, let me know and I will recommend.

Goodnight
    Andrew

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Soh View Post
    No Pat,

Thetreatment regime and dosage for Gabbrocol is totally different from Metro. Once you get your hands on it, let me know and I will recommend.

Goodnight
    Andrew
    Goodnight Andrew,

Sorry, I meant the repeat treatment on the metronidazole. In the meantime I will check on the Gabbrocol.

Pat

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Andrew......cannot find Gabbrocol(dewormer) in Cattle/Swine/Horses/Pigeon stores.....need yr help lah

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Soh View Post
    No Pat,

Goodnight
    Andrew
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hi Andrew......cannot find Gabbrocol(dewormer) in Cattle/Swine/Horses/Pigeon stores.....need yr help lah
    Francis - try Paromycin search http://www.drugs.com/international/gabbrocol.html

I have not yet found online sales, it may be a Vet only drug.

Real Name
    Pat

Jeff and Francis, my large animal vet may be able to get it. Would be interesting if having horses helps the fish.

Real Name
    Francis

Thanks Jeff.....for the link......Paromycin is also a dewormer.

Gabbrocol

Use: Whit, slimy feces.

Spectrum of action: Intestinal flaggellates and cillates.

Gabbrocol has proven itself against flagellates and cilates. It can be used as a long bath or in the feed make by method B5.

A Gabbrocal bath is problematical because the vehicle that carries the active ingredient is glucose. Treatment must take place only in an empty glass tank with vigorous aeration and filtration over clean absorbent cotton or foam filter material. Glucose causes heavy turbidity in the water because of bacterial reproduction. After about 18 hours an oxygen deficiency often occurs, causing the fish to have difficulty breathing and then suffocating. For that reason even robust fish should not, as a rule, remain longer that 18 hours in the solution.

The fish must be transferred to clean water, at the latest when the bath water becomes turbid. This amount of time is adequate for the treatment. If you want to be extra certain, then transfer the fish after 12 hours to another aquarium containing freshly added Gabbrocol solution. Bacterial proliferation and thus water turbidity can be delayed by using distilled water or boiled tap water. The treatment tanks must be thoroughly washed out with hot water.

Dosage: Dissolve 5 g Gabbrocol (one bag) in 30 liters of water. Let the fish bathe in this for 18 hours. In severe cases, the bath can be repeated in another tank containing freshly added solution.

Gabbrocol

Dosage in feed: Mix 2 g Gabbrocol into 100 g feed (see method B5) at 40 degrees C and feed for three days. In severe cases, feed the mix until the white feces disappear, at which point continue the treatment for another three days.

http://www.versaquatics.com/treatmentandmethodology.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jpdevol View Post
    Francis - try Paromycin search http://www.drugs.com/international/gabbrocol.html

I have not yet found online sales, it may be a Vet only drug.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast