AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What is the different between penang eruption and leopard snake skin ?

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Default What is the different between penang eruption and leopard snake skin ?

Penang eruption ? leopard snake skin ? ring eruption ? super eruption ? What are the differences ? They looks very similar to me.

Which strain is the best grade ?

Default Re: What is the different between penang eruption and leopard snake skin ?

Difference - more money.

~AKA~

Registered Member

Default Re: What is the different between penang eruption and leopard snake skin ?

I can say that I have penang eruptions and ring eruptions and the difference there is obvious, the ring eruptions have rings bred into the pattern where penangs do not.
    I may be wrong, but I think super eruptions have more and smaller spots.
    Leopard snake skin depends on what you are talking about, red, blue or whatever.
    The eruption title is based on the color going from red/orange at the center and becoming blue towards the fins if I am not mistaken.
    Money is always a factor, and lots of breeders call the same thing a different name, I would look at Kenny's pics from feb, he has everything you mentioned pictured.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68867

Leopard snake skin is the general name for all 14 bar red spotted discus, and under this category there are quite a lot lines created by different breeders in the world. At the first glance they may look quite similar to each other, but they do have some difference in the coverage, independency, and distribution of the red spots, as well as body shape and size, because different breeders cross their LSS with different LSS or RSG to improve different aspects.

Penang Eruptions IMO is one of the best lines nowadays, having fine spots all over the body (outstanding individuals may also have spots on their gill plates and chins) and sharp red/blue contrast b/w spots and the base color, and having the potential of growing to the size of 6+ inches with decent shape.

No matter how great-looking the parents are, the fries of a pair of Penang Eruptions also have some outstanding ones and worse-looking ones. IMO breeders sell those good ones as Penang eruptions, and those worse ones which does not meet the standard of a Penang eruptions were sold as "leopard snake skin". I guess this usually confuses people.

-Xiaofei

Leopard SS is that fine pattern with small tight swirls in the fish's face and larger spots than Pen. Er. PE are a 14 bar small spotted fish.Also there is Eruption leopard 9 bar.. Mine have face pattern and from gill plates to base of tail have larger spots all over their bodies. .. Outstanding look if you like the larger spots which I love more than the little spots. PE=14 bar / ER. Leo. =9 bar You can see all the varieties on Kenny's postings..

Xiaofei is correct. LSS is the generic term for all the red spots on blue body snake skins. A PE is always a LSS, but a LSS isn't always a PE. Spotted Eruption, Super Eruption, Fireworks etc are all LSS's bred by differnt breeders.
    An Eruption Leopard, as I know the term, is a leopard from LSS parents. At least that's how I saw it explained on an asian forum, but I'm less sure of that.

Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Xiaofei is correct. LSS is the generic term for all the red spots on blue body snake skins. A PE is always a LSS, but a LSS isn't always a PE. Spotted Eruption, Super Eruption, Fireworks etc are all LSS's bred by differnt breeders.
    An Eruption Leopard, as I know the term, is a leopard from LSS parents. At least that's how I saw it explained on an asian forum, but I'm less sure of that.

Kacey

I agree with Kacey regarding the eruption leopard. Snakeskin gene is not stable, so that even if both parents are 14 bar fish, they will always throw a % of 9-bar fries. Those 9-bar ones are sold as the eruption leopards. That's what I learned from an Asian breeder. Personally I like the eruption leopards as much as PE's

-Xiaofei

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Xiaofei is correct. LSS is the generic term for all the red spots on blue body snake skins. A PE is always a LSS, but a LSS isn't always a PE.
    Kacey

This reads like a question from an IQ test LOL!

But seriously, this clears up a question I had about the fish that were sold to me as LSS. They don't have the patterns that I was expecting. Tell me what you would classify these as.

Steve

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Steve,

Need to know the size of the discus when you first bought it.....it's hard to tell when the discus is small due to lack of pattern & color.....just my 2 cents.....to me just a Leopard Spotted....lol my wild guess.

Cheers
    Francis

I got them 8 months ago and they were about 2"

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    I got them 8 months ago and they were about 2"
    IMO it's a nice leopard. As mentioned, the LSS parents will always throw both 9-bar and 14 bar fries in the same batch. At the size of 2'' it's hard to tell whether it's a 9-bar or 14-bar fish.

-Xiaofei

I'd say Leopard also. It doesn't have the tell-tale SS markings on the gill covers and forhead.

Kacey