AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: having trouble with anubias deficiencies

Registered Member

Default Re: having trouble with anubias deficiencies

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Adam it seems from the pics that the plants in the lower water column are the ones turning yellow, rather than the ones closer to the light source. IME in indoor farming under LED lighting (basil, tomatoes, bib lettuce & micro-greens for those wondering ), the yellowing usually started on the leaf tips/edges and progressed back towards the stem because the available nitrogen was all used up by the time the sap reached the leaf tip/edge. That may not be the case with aquatic plants of course. When I had anubias what you described was for sure the case in my tank with the older whole leaves dying off 1st. My issue though was with pH and subsequent nutrient lock out cause in my african tank with aragonite substrate the water was 8-8.2...it would be interesting to discover what Matt's pH is in Michigan, and his aging routine, cause where we were in NW Ohio at the time the pH of the tap water was close to 8 anyway, much like SE Mi...
    ph is 8 i the way i age water is just an air pump with an air stone and heater age for 24hrs but seems like the high ph is going to be a challenge with keeping plants healthy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    If you are doing 5 x 50% WC/week how much of the PPS are you dosing? For the entire tank or 1.5 - 2 x of the tank volume?
    i dose 12.5 ml of macros and 6.5 ml of micros of my 125 gallon tank daily do i need to dose more?

Real Name
    Mervin

Most plants thrive between PH 5.5- 7.If ph is too high or too low plants cannot absorb nutrients properly.There are far less plants in the rift lakes of African due to high ph and hardness,but not void of some tough plants along the shores.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    ph is 8 i the way i age water is just an air pump with an air stone and heater age for 24hrs but seems like the high ph is going to be a challenge with keeping plants healthy
    Yea Matt, pH of 8 will make it almost impossible unfortunately. I had the same issue in Toledo with some beautiful anubias I had that came out of a fully planted tank from a friend who moved out of town. His pH was low 7's, but my tank had aragonite which buffers water to 8-8.2 for my tropheus. Over a period of 6-8 my anubias did exactly what you're describing and i eventually pulled it out and gave it to someone else cause it looked awful. Vallisneria (val) does better in higher pH's but is a substrate rooting plant. If your discus are happy at pH 8 I wouldn't try to lower it if it were me as they're the center piece of you display, which looks awesome by the way. All the best mate

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Yea Matt, pH of 8 will make it almost impossible unfortunately. I had the same issue in Toledo with some beautiful anubias I had that came out of a fully planted tank from a friend who moved out of town. His pH was low 7's, but my tank had aragonite which buffers water to 8-8.2 for my tropheus. Over a period of 6-8 my anubias did exactly what you're describing and i eventually pulled it out and gave it to someone else cause it looked awful. Vallisneria (val) does better in higher pH's but is a substrate rooting plant. If your discus are happy at pH 8 I wouldn't try to lower it if it were me as they're the center piece of you display, which looks awesome by the way. All the best mate
    ya my discus are doing great so i really don't want to mess with the levels but thanks for the help looks like i may have to pull them at some point i liked the look of the planted discus tank it still looked good without the plants but i think the plants topped the tank off oh well

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I would not give up all hope yet, I have Anubia in 5 of my (non discus) tanks. Although my KH is low (about 3) pH is 7.5 and although not as much as the discus tank I do change a fair bit of water and only dose micros. By using a moderate ammount of light and giving the plants kind of time to adapt like find their balance in the tank eventually the plants have turned out looking half decent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 10-06-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Most plants thrive between PH 5.5- 7.If ph is too high or too low plants cannot absorb nutrients properly.There are far less plants in the rift lakes of African due to high ph and hardness,but not void of some tough plants along the shores.
    ok thanks it seems like the anubias coffeefolia and the anubias bateri get hit the hardest as far as yellowing and leaves dying off the nanas don't seem like they get too much yellowing for whatever reason all the plants grow at a pretty steady rate but doesn't seem like they will flourish like they should with that high ph but thanks again for the reply

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I would not give up all hope yet, I have Anubia in 5 of my (non discus) tanks. Although my KH is low (about 3) pH is 7.5 and although not as much as the discus tank I do change a fair bit of water and only dose micros. By using a moderate ammount of light and giving the plants kind of time to adapt like find their balance in the tank eventually the plants have turned out looking half decent
    ya i want to get this figured out i really like the look of the planted tank its seems like the nanas do the best for whatever reason but some of the anubias strains are having alot worse deficiencys i may try to up the nitrate next time i make a batch of dry ferts i may add a little more nitrates to the bottle see if that may do anything
    Last edited by matt2426; 10-06-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

As you can see from the photo, plants including coffeifolia grow just fine but bear in mind the light in that tank is usually much more subdued, added a stronger one just to take the photo, as mentioned no CO2. Counterintuitively CO2 may be magnifying the lack of other nutrients. In a nutshell you have plenty of light and plenty of carbon, so you have plenty of fuel and spark for the plant's engine (the Calvin cycle) that because of this is revving pretty high. On the other hand other necessary things (like oil or coolant) may not be equally abundant so you have a problem

Registered Member

As you can see from the photo, plants including coffeifolia grow just fine but bear in mind the light in that tank is usually much more subdued, added a stronger one just to take the photo, as mentioned no CO2. Counterintuitively CO2 may be magnifying the lack of other nutrients. In a nutshell you have plenty of light and plenty of carbon, so you have plenty of fuel and spark for the plant's engine (the Calvin cycle) that because of this is revving pretty high. On the other hand other necessary things (like oil or coolant) may not be equally abundant so you have a problem
    nice looking tank wonder if i have to strong of lights that throwing everything off maybe thats why some of the plants are doing ok and the others not so much have to do trial and error i guess thanks Paul

Real Name
    Filip

ok thanks for the reply i was thinking these anubias were going to be easy but with discus and all the water changes its a challenge keeping them healthy
    Matt, from my experience , i have found that anubias are not the easiest plants to keep them thriving , especially in a sterile discus tank . They always slowly die off or are struggling to survive in my planted discus tank.
    On the other hand they always thrived In my overcrowded and not well maintained non discus tanks.
    So don't beat your self up too much about not having success with them in your discus tank because it is not at all an easy task .

Raise the fertilizer graddualy in a course of 2 weeks to a double , or maybe even triple dose of your recommended PPS dosing regime and they should do better.
    Meanwhile check your lights and their strength . For Anubias you should aim at 0.3-0.5 watts per liter of water or 25 -40 Lumens per liter of water .

Don't take them out if you really like their looks and don't loose hope .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Matt, from my experience , i have found that anubias are not the easiest plants to keep them thriving , especially in a sterile discus tank . They always slowly die off or are struggling to survive in my planted discus tank.
    On the other hand they always thrived In my overcrowded and not well maintained non discus tanks.
    So don't beat your self up too much about not having success with them in your discus tank because it is not at all an easy task .

Raise the fertilizer graddualy in a course of 2 weeks to a double , or maybe even triple dose of your recommended PPS dosing regime and they should do better.
    Meanwhile check your lights and their strength . For Anubias you should aim at 0.3-0.5 watts per liter of water or 25 -40 Lumens per liter of water .

Don't take them out if you really like their looks and don't loose hope .
    Ok thanks Filip ill give that a try im going to start slowing upping the dose to see if that helps. the plants don't look horrible theres just a few plants that look bad but it seems like the plants that don't get alot of shade are the ones dying off the rest seem to be doing ok but thanks for the encouragment i'm going to keep trying is there an easier plant that might work better in discus tanks that may be worth trying thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Ok thanks Filip ill give that a try im going to start slowing upping the dose to see if that helps. the plants don't look horrible theres just a few plants that look bad but it seems like the plants that don't get alot of shade are the ones dying off the rest seem to be doing ok but thanks for the encouragment i'm going to keep trying is there an easier plant that might work better in discus tanks that may be worth trying thanks
    I do fairly well in my tank with :

Hygrophila corymbosa or hygrophila polysperma ,
    Nymphoides Hydrophilla - Taiwan ,
    Ceratopteris Thalicroides or Ceratopteris cornuta ,
    Echinodorus amazonicus or Echinodorus Ozelot ,
    Sagitaria sibulata ,
    Cryptocoryna usteriana or cryptocoryna wendtii,
    Rotalla rotundofolia etc...

My water has Malawi lake hardness of 330 TDS , GH/ KH of 20 Dgh , pH 8.2 with 86 F temp. and I do not dose anything for this plants . I do have a fairly strong light source though - 162 Watts of T5 HO tubes with reflectors above only 65 gallons tank .

HTH Matt .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12