ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discus with red inflamed fins

Registered Member

Default discus with red inflamed fins

Hi i was hoping i could get some feedback last week i had a ammonia spike in my tank after cleaning one of my filters. and through out the week ive lost a lot of tetras and other community fish. i didn't lose any discus as of yet I got the ammonia under control seems like my levels are back to normal anyway i woke up this morning and noticed one of my discus fins are red and inflamed on the side the one fin is discolored what would you guys suggest i do im sure its due to the ammonia should i add furan 2 or just keep doing large daily water changes ? will this heal. water levels are ph 8.0 nitrate 15ppm nitrite 0 ammonia 0 here are a few pictures id really appreciate some feedback i know i asked alot of question im sure its a ammonia burn or stress is there things i can do to help this guy out thanks alot44542929_423586651379670_8760001093464752128_n.jpg44678918_185996752290642_7636926459059109888_n (1).jpg44678918_185996752290642_7636926459059109888_n (1).jpg44475381_329861344459268_8232991147203493888_n.jpg
    Last edited by matt2426; 10-21-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: discus with red inflamed fins

Here is my own thread about the same problem I had couple of years ago.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ase-of-one-fin

In the second post Al points that it can be a reaction from ammonia spike , like the one you just have recently .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Here is my own thread about the same problem I had couple of years ago.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ase-of-one-fin

In the second post Al points that it can be a reaction from ammonia spike , like the one you just have recently .
    thanks filip ya thats exactly what im dealing with did it heal after a while thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    thanks filip ya thats exactly what im dealing with did it heal after a while thanks
    Not in my case . But your experience may differ.
    I would just stick with the optimistic scenario that it's just an ammonia burn for now IIWY.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Not in my case . But your experience may differ.
    I would just stick with the optimistic scenario that it's just an ammonia burn for now IIWY.
    ok thanks filip did that fish evenually die did you give furan 2 a shot but ill just keep up on the water changes and see if it improves

Real Name
    Filip

I can't remember if it healed on it's own or I just started ignoring it because it didnt interfere with fish behaviour in any way.
    That fish developed and eye infection problem later and I killed it during treatments with Furan for eye infection because I underestimated the bioload and filtration in my QT tank .

Matt
    As with the Cardinals I don't believe it to be an infection, but probably an Ammonia burn.
    I would try stress coat and possibly Melafix as a prophylactic against developing an infection.
    If this is developing now, I still believe the cleaned filter is not fully cycled and compounding the problem.
    You can take some of the media from the HOB filter, preferably sponge if available and squeeze it into the Fx6, and leave a few pieces in there as well. This is my method for starting a new tank quickly and I have had good results.
    Good luck

Real Name
    Mervin

Some times it's guessing game.From what I see from the pics,it "could be" septicemia.If it is,Furan 2 and other broad spectrum antibiotics will get rid of it.Some fish in the tank may not look/get infected but it can be contagious.If it gets worse and starts to look like blood stained fins and may even have some fin rot,I don't think WC's will help once it gets that bad.If that the cause,I would medicate the whole tank.

Registered Member

Ok ill try the furan 2 i think but it can cause to lose my bio load how many i prevent that

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Matt
    As with the Cardinals I don't believe it to be an infection, but probably an Ammonia burn.
    I would try stress coat and possibly Melafix as a prophylactic against developing an infection.
    If this is developing now, I still believe the cleaned filter is not fully cycled and compounding the problem.
    You can take some of the media from the HOB filter, preferably sponge if available and squeeze it into the Fx6, and leave a few pieces in there as well. This is my method for starting a new tank quickly and I have had good results.
    Good luck
    Ok thanks will furan 2 do the same thing

Matt if you're filter isn't cycled you may want to avoid antibiotics.
    I've never used furan 2 so I can not speak about it...and honestly I haven't had a need to use an antibiotic in years.
    Melafix though containing some antibiotic properties is not a medicine but more of a natural home remedy. But I can say that I've seen it help with healing wounds, torn fins and acclimating new fish.
    Your going to get a lot of different opinions and all with good intention and backed by personal experience... But the fact is that we are mostly guessing. What I have learned is less is more and keep it simple when it comes to treating fish.
    That said, your original posts start with an aggressive filter cleaning and following ammonia spike and I believe that's where your problem remains and what needs to be addressed.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Registered Member

Real Name
    Filip

Agree on this .
    Nitrofurazone is very harsh on benificial bacteria and your filter is still going through a mini cycle .

Registered Member

I've never used furan 2 so I can not speak about it...and honestly I haven't had a need to use an antibiotic in years.
    Melafix though containing some antibiotic properties is not a medicine but more of a natural home remedy. But I can say that I've seen it help with healing wounds, torn fins and acclimating new fish.
    Your going to get a lot of different opinions and all with good intention and backed by personal experience... But the fact is that we are mostly guessing. What I have learned is less is more and keep it simple when it comes to treating fish.
    That said, your original posts start with an aggressive filter cleaning and following ammonia spike and I believe that's where your problem remains and what needs to be addressed.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    ok thanks for the response ill just focus on getting my water back to normal but every time i test atleast in the last 3 or 4 days all my levels say that there where there suppose to be 0 ammonio around 10 to 15 ppm of nitrate and 0 nitrite i use the api master kit for testing. but ill just doing a bunch of big water changes for now i think your right ill forget about the furan for a while see if the ammonio burn heals on its own

Matt
    One observation I've had with Cardinals is that they don't want to be involved at all in the cycling of a filter and though your readings may be good the filter may still be going through the process.
    Try not to stress about it. . believe me we've all been there and have suffered self inflicted wounds.
    Maybe one day I'll tell you how I out_smarted myself and poisoned my tank with copper pipe :P

Good luck and let us know how they're doing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast