AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: There are parasites in my Daphnia tank.

Registered Member

Default There are parasites in my Daphnia tank.

Hey guys, looking for some thoughts and advice on an interesting situation.

i recently traded some old reef equipment i acquired for free for three discus. two of which look like blue snakeskin and one "albino".

The albino(male) and the big blue snakeskin (female) laid some eggs. (around 180). i removed the eggs that where laid onto a 3" clay pot and put them into a plastic tupperware with freshwater, methylene blue and an airstone on full blast. i then floated that container in a 30 gallon that is cycling with a sponge filter and heater set to 84*f (has been cycling for weeks and all sort of small copepods and critters are visible on the glass with a magnifying loop). To my surprise the were fertilized and hatched with only about 1 dozen eggs not hatched. i brought the bubbles down to just the airline and a couple bubbles a sec. and removed the unhatched eggs and have been changing out bits of water here and there. tank is now 86*f

there are lots... more than ive ever seen come from just 1 clutch of eggs.

today is day 5.

im getting all my foods in order and while checking out my 10 gallon daphnia(also has scud) tank i noticed this snail i got from a creek along has worms all over him. i know i can just remove him but im wondering if any of the food critters in the tan besides the snail clean up crew harbor these parasites. im new to the whole fish de-worming thing but i am certainly not apposed to treating the fish.

okay fish friends.. tell me things... also my pics are being rejected from the site (says failed to upload but tries everytime)

-D

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: There are parasites in my Daphnia tank.

Congratulations on your babies. I know snails can carry parasites. I’m not a discus breeder but I don’t think it’s safe to treat discus this young. I could be wrong, so maybe others will chime in.
    As far as pictures, sometimes if you crop them a little they will up load. hth
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Congratulations on your babies. I know snails can carry parasites. I’m not a discus breeder but I don’t think it’s safe to treat discus this young. I could be wrong, so maybe others will chime in.
    As far as pictures, sometimes if you crop them a little they will up load. hth
    Patty
    yeah im not trying to treat them this young im just worrie about thier well being from eating the foods i have raised.

You'd have better luck raising fry by letting their parents raising them. Why did you remove the eggs in the first place. Raising Discus artificially is quite a challenge.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You'd have better luck raising fry by letting their parents raising them. Why did you remove the eggs in the first place. Raising Discus artificially is quite a challenge.
    this is by no means helpful to my post. the situation i am referring to implies that this is whats happening now and why i removed them or not is of no relevance to my inquiries. I am quite capable of rearing fry artificially.

if you really must know they have been laying in a community tank and will eat them if i dont remove them.

please stay on task rather than asking questions to my questions. it is of no help. thanks.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

No need to be rude Dalton, Liz is trying to be helpful. I see in 2015 you were pretty new at this. Were you successful in feeding all those critters to the fry? I could see the fry picking at them. Experience in this forum however indicates that freshly hatched BBS are the best and cleanest food for discus fry.

Regarding your question, snails are known parasite and disease carriers and discus fry are very susceptible for both. As for treating fish. Always clean the parents so the fry are worm and parasite free. Best of luck
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening