ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 225 Gallon Planted Tank

Registered Member

Default 225 Gallon Planted Tank

Thought I would share some pictures of my tank, still currently building it, has only been running for about a month now (Media used from 2 shutdown tanks I previously had).

Was initially not going the Discus route but changed my mind after seeing them at a local store.
    Tank is still a bit bare as I am awaiting shipment, will hopefully be filled with many more tetras and corydoras.

Currently:

50 Cardinals
    20 RummyNose
    10 Ottos
    2 Catfish

and of course 6 Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Default Re: 225 Gallon Planted Tank

What a impressive creation you have there! I like how you've adhered to aquascaping principles of placing the rocks on either side of the tank as to create a two sided tank. It must've been a lot of work carrying that amount of stone into the tank by the way. And I like the contrast between the dark background and the light sand. The sum is greater than the parts. And that bonsai tree in the "valley," is the first one I've ever seen. I can tell that a lot of planning has been put in this tank. It will only get better with time as the plants grow out. I'm gonna copy that bonsai tree.

Real Name
    Mervin

The tank is beautiful; nicely done. Unfortunitly, probably won't look that nice for long, not with discus in there. The substrate will need cleaning on a regular basis. My rational is based on anaerobic pathogens that discus fish are prone to catching, one is hexmitia.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

How are you guys seeing the pictures? I don't see any on this thread.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice scape mate. From a purely aesthetic perspective it is a stunning display!
    Do you have a plan to efficiently remove the detritus that will get trapped in the dense rock piles? Like Merv said, elevated bacterial counts that are difficult or impossible to mitigate can make life tough with discus keeping.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    How are you guys seeing the pictures? I don't see any on this thread.
    They are hosted off site. Do you see any links?

Real Name
    Mervin

Try a different browser.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Odd, no links at all. Could it be because I'm using google chrome?

I had to view it from my phone. What a beautiful tank! I want something like this but with only rainbows and corys.
    Last edited by Mando; 09-11-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

I'm using google chrome and have no problem...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    And that bonsai tree in the "valley," is the first one I've ever seen. I can tell that a lot of planning has been put in this tank. It will only get better with time as the plants grow out. I'm gonna copy that bonsai tree.
    I was actually intially going with the Bonsai Tree but was going to be way too much. So what I ended up doing was buying from a local seller, he sells "Korean Roots" I think they are literally roots of a tree. Then I placed 2 different mosses in the roots and it has grown out. The Other wood piece on the left side is another piece of Korean Root. Literally $10 each. The plecos love shedding them apart though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    The tank is beautiful; nicely done. Unfortunitly, probably won't look that nice for long, not with discus in there. The substrate will need cleaning on a regular basis. My rational is based on anaerobic pathogens that discus fish are prone to catching, one is hexmitia.
    Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Nice scape mate. From a purely aesthetic perspective it is a stunning display!
    Do you have a plan to efficiently remove the detritus that will get trapped in the dense rock piles? Like Merv said, elevated bacterial counts that are difficult or impossible to mitigate can make life tough with discus keeping.
    So what I'm currently doing is vacuuming the tank once a week and I have the Gyres on the side timed to come on a total of 3 times every day, for 3 mins each time and they do a pretty good job and blowing everything stuck in between the rocks up and into the overflow. Initially, the plan was to have them on low 12 hours a day but even on low they produce a bit too much push for the fish. I'm also hoping once the Corys come in, they'll go through the plants and push whatever may be stuck up into the overflow.

Real Name
    Mervin

I would think it's best practise to deep clean the substrate, where all the nastys hide. The deeper the substrate the more cleaning will be needed, I see many folks needing to change a set after their young fish start coming down with some kind of illness, caused by an over population of the nastys. When I see a beauiful planted tank like yours, I know you know what you doing as far as planted tanks are concerned. Adult discus seem to do better in planted tanks. A lot more of maintenance for younger discus due to high protein fed more often.