AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Registered Member

Default Suggestions?

Hi,

I have 10 Stendker Discus that I’m currently growing out. I e had them almost a month now and things have been going great. They were about 2.5” when I received them and have been growing fine. I have one one that doesn’t seem to want to eat like she was before. Yesterday she would only eat a little locally made beef heart and the same with today. Prior to this she would eat various pellets, flakes and Han’s beef heart.

I going to try to attach a video some you can see the fish and see if there’s anything apparent to you. I did see her rub against the plant once, but that was last week. Do they appear to be breathing rapidly? I thought maybe ick or gill flukes, it was suggested that I treat with Prazipro because of internal parasites.

pH is 7.9, no traces of ammonia or nitrites, around 5-10ppm nitrates. I change around 85% of the water every other day, daily when I can.

Registered Member

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Suggestions?

Nice fish. I don't think they're breathing too rapidly. Can we assume you're cleaning that sand well with your water changes? If everyone else is eating fine, it's hard to point the finger at internal parasites, especially if you haven't seen white poop or some other indication. I'll let others chime in.

Real Name
    Tom

Funny one of my Hans did the same. If it’s the blue you centered on mine also was a blue. It would eat and spit out. After 2 weeks of this I added nutridiet discus flakes. It eat them and was back to normal a day or 2 later. Though it never grew as big as the others.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Registered Member

I do make sure that I clean the sand. Strange that you had a fish from Han’s do the same thing. She seems interested in the food, what I mean by that is she comes to the top of the tank and gets right up to it but won’t eat it. Last night she ate a little of the hometown made beefheart.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

My rule of thumb is that if a Discus picks up food and doesn't want to eat it it's hex. Metronidazole 500 mg per 10 gallons daily for 12 days with huge WC before re dosing. I've said these words so many times that I feel like a broken record.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Keep up the water changes. Those fish have really nice shape and should grow out into great specimens.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    My rule of thumb is that if a Discus picks up food and doesn't want to eat it it's hex. Metronidazole 500 mg per 10 gallons daily for 12 days with huge WC before re dosing. I've said these words so many times that I feel like a broken record.
    So how many redoses and how many WCs during that 12-day span?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Daily water changes before each daily dose of 500mg per 10 gals. Also bump your temp up to 92 if you can as the hex parasite cannot tolerate higher temps. The higher temp will also increase metabolism and stimulate appetite

Registered Member

I plan to order some metronidazole from Jehmco. Think I should treat right away? Is there really any way to mow for sure what it is? Does this normally spread to the other Discus?

Thanks again everyone.

It will take a few days to arrive. You can wait to see if things straighten out with WC alone as Willie thinks. You can tell what it is for sure if you have a microscope. Yes it is contagious. I like to treat the entire tank to be sure. Metro is a very gentle med. It will be easy on your fish, just a pain for you to treat for 12 days straight with huge WC before every treatment. Let us know how things go.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I’ve been watching these guys closely, is this an issue? Think I might have something else going on?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Ok what other fish are in the tank? How long hav3 you owned the other fish. The fish above is a different fish than the non-eating fish? Being you’ve only had them a month I can’t believe there sick. How could they get hex? Hans fish shouldn’t be sick fish. Mine have been fine without incident for a year. Only thing was the one didn’t eat for a bit. This happens it’s stress.
    I would wait before medicating. Has the above fish been eating?

Registered Member

The fish above has been eating fine, I just the the poop looked a little strange and figured I’d post a picture. The fish given me trouble has been eating very little. I haven’t medicated yet and am holding of for a little while. I just ordered the meds to have on had.

Only other fish in the tank are three corys and two plecos all of which were in the tank prior to my delivery from Han’s. I very happy with my fish from Han’s, they all have great shape and color and he was extremely helpful with my purchase.

I did raise my temp to 90 degrees, thought this may help as suggested.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast