AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup help

Default Setup help

So I just got an early Christmas present and need some help. I picked up a 125 gal with corner overflows that was originally set up for a reef. I will be using it for discus. I have no idea how to set up the refugium or plumb the tank. This refugium has a lot of chambers. Also, the lights are T5 and set up on separate ballasts with LED moon lights. Can I use this for the tank? Believe it or not but I got all this for $500. I will not be setting this up until the spring at a minimum so I've got time to figure it out. HELP!

Tank setup.jpgRefugium1.jpgRefugium lights.jpgCanopy Lights.jpgBallast.jpgPump.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Setup help

Hi karpomatic and welcome to Simply.

My first suggestion is to visit one of your LFS which have stand alone marine tanks (with sumps) and look at how it is plumped. Seeing it in person will help remove some of the mystery and allow you to ask questions. I would also suggest replacing the lighting system with an dimable LED light.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi karpomatic and welcome to Simply.

My first suggestion is to visit one of your LFS which have stand alone marine tanks (with sumps) and look at how it is plumped. Seeing it in person will help remove some of the mystery and allow you to ask questions. I would also suggest replacing the lighting system with an dimable LED light.

Pat
    The LFS is a good idea. I don't know if they have anything open for me to see but I will check it out.

I was thinking the same thing for the lights. I know those T5 lights throw a lot of heat and am not sure how good they would be for a fresh water system. The previous owned built 3 axial fans into the top. I'd like to use them if I can, or get natural light spectrum bulbs, to same money but have thought about replacing them with inexpensive LED strips.

That sump is partitioned for a protein skimmer area, and a very small refugium area. You could put an inch of top soil in it, then another inch of small gravel to cap it, then put some fast growing Water Sprite, Hygrophillia, and light it 24hrs a day. I'd only use one ballast and light half the bulbs. The heat is a good thing when keeping discus, but the excess light will cause algae problems.

-Leland

Leland, thanks for the advice. I was looking into Miracle mud for the refugium with the plants you listed. As far as the lights, i was looking into LED lights that work in the florescent fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by Leland F. View Post
    That sump is partitioned for a protein skimmer area, and a very small refugium area. You could put an inch of top soil in it, then another inch of small gravel to cap it, then put some fast growing Water Sprite, Hygrophillia, and light it 24hrs a day. I'd only use one ballast and light half the bulbs. The heat is a good thing when keeping discus, but the excess light will cause algae problems.

-Leland
    Looks to me like the largest section is for the refugium (black baffles) with a small protein skimmer section (hole in side)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Looks to me like the largest section is for the refugium (black baffles) with a small protein skimmer section (hole in side)
    Yes, it originally had a protein skimmer hooked up there. I am either going to put in a bulkhead and cap that off or add some kind of reactor. I have not decided. I was also thinking I may need to raise the height of the 1st low baffle to get more water volume in the middle for the plants. I'm not sure how that would effect the rest of the refugium though.

Quote Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
    Yes, it originally had a protein skimmer hooked up there. I am either going to put in a bulkhead and cap that off or add some kind of reactor. I have not decided. I was also thinking I may need to raise the height of the 1st low baffle to get more water volume in the middle for the plants. I'm not sure how that would effect the rest of the refugium though.
    Doesn't the water fill to the holes towards the top of the second black baffle? That would seem to be plenty.

Doesn't the water fill to the holes towards the top of the second black baffle? That would seem to be plenty.
    Right you are, Ryan. I missed that. Here is my idea of what will be in each chamber. My 1st concern is the box all the way on the left. It's an overflow to cut down on bubbles for the reef system. I don't think I need it. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

Refugium setup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
    Right you are, Ryan. I missed that. Here is my idea of what will be in each chamber. My 1st concern is the box all the way on the left. It's an overflow to cut down on bubbles for the reef system. I don't think I need it. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

Refugium setup.jpg
    Your first chamber is for mechanic filtration. Are there filter sock holders? That is where socks or foam/floass will go. You want to have good mechanical filtration before your bio media. This will cut down on cleaning or the bio media. If that first compartment uses filter socks then you can probably put bags of bio media in that compartment. If it doesn't use socks then that compartment will probably be packed with foam.
    You would prob be better off with matrix, ceramic rings, substrat pro or something like that for bio. My understanding of bio balls is that they are much more effective as an emersed media like in a wet/dry

The over/under baffles to the far right is your bubble trap.

I am in no way a sump expert but I have been doing a ton of research lately as I am in the planning stages of building one

I'd recommend checking out pics and YouTube vids or various sumps. That will give you good ideas. That's what I did and am combining ideas from different sumps into one

Your first chamber is for mechanic filtration. Are there filter sock holders? That is where socks or foam/floass will go. You want to have good mechanical filtration before your bio media. This will cut down on cleaning or the bio media. If that first compartment uses filter socks then you can probably put bags of bio media in that compartment. If it doesn't use socks then that compartment will probably be packed with foam.
    You would prob be better off with matrix, ceramic rings, substrat pro or something like that for bio. My understanding of bio balls is that they are much more effective as an emersed media like in a wet/dry

The over/under baffles to the far right is your bubble trap.

I am in no way a sump expert but I have been doing a ton of research lately as I am in the planning stages of building one

I'd recommend checking out pics and YouTube vids or various sumps. That will give you good ideas. That's what I did and am combining ideas from different sumps into one
    There are no holes for socks. That first box is closed on the bottom with no holes. It was so water would fill up and flow over rather then directly into the 1st chamber, preventing foam. I'm not sure how to adapt this section yet.

The link below is a great video that explains how the filter works. I can see adapting this to the refugium I have but that box is a sticking point. I may have to remove it if I can't figure out how to use it effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMp5tbsgkk

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Careful on adapting the far left box. That is the inlet side of your sump and it is good to have something solid for the plumbing to adhere too. Also do not place the heater beside your pump especially if it is glass. Too easy to get broken.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Careful on adapting the far left box. That is the inlet side of your sump and it is good to have something solid for the plumbing to adhere too. Also do not place the heater beside your pump especially if it is glass. Too easy to get broken.
    Pat
    That part with the 2 gaskets in it is a lid that comes off. Only the box inside it is fixed. Thanks for the heads up though. The last thing I want to do is damage this expensive thing. Here is a photo the original owner sent me when he purchased the refugium. It shows everything much better. The others are of when it was in use for his reef. As you can see, one heater is in the refugium area with the plants and the other is in the pump area at the end.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG
    Last edited by karpomatic; 11-08-2016 at 03:50 PM.

The tube led's apparently don't last very long, due to the heat inside the bulb, and not being cooled. Many people are saying they burn out in the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Leland F. View Post
    The tube led's apparently don't last very long, due to the heat inside the bulb, and not being cooled. Many people are saying they burn out in the first year.
    Hmm... I'll have to do some research on that. There are 4 axial fans in the top of the lid to pull out the heat so I think I'm okay as far as that goes. I'm gonna look into the life span of those LED tubes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast