ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: LOTS OF MICRO BUBBLES is that ok?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Christian Pollich

Default LOTS OF MICRO BUBBLES is that ok?

Silver Member

Default Re: LOTS OF MICRO BUBBLES is that ok?

Microbubbles are an irritant to discus skin. prolong contact can cause damage. if you are doing w/cs from the tap, put some kind of sock or filter pad in the filler line to reduce the bubbles. most people here age their water for 24 hours using a heater to bring the water to tank temp and air stone to aerate the water. this method will remove the microbubbles.

Real Name
    Filip

Christian, those on the photo , aren't microbubbles. They are Macrobubbles . They are harmless and always welcomed in a discus tank .

Microbubbles that can get into gills and bloodstream of the fish forming edemas and interfere their breathing are invisible to our eyes .
    You can see them once they start to come out of the water as miniature bubbles sticked on the glass and equipment.

Registered Member

So I have a question on Microbubles.

I have been using water straight from my tap and haven't had any issues with the tetras, rasboras or Dwarf Gourami as yet. Does that mean that my tap water doesn't have microbubles or are only discus affected while tetras aren't? I live in an apartment, where the water is first pumped into a underground tank and then pumped into a tank on the roof of the building from where it is supplied to the apartments. Does that process help age the water in any way?

I am trying to understand as I used to keep monster fish and honestly they were so low maintenance I never had to worry about anything but a weekly water change.

Real Name
    Jeff

The side of the tank looks like it could have some microbubbles on it. Monitor it closely on your next water change and take some clearer close up pictures if you suspect microbubbles.