ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Gardening with Hydroponics vs Aeroponics vs Aquaponics, Are there any enthusiasts?

Default Gardening with Hydroponics vs Aeroponics vs Aquaponics, Are there any enthusiasts?

I've been fascinated by hydroponics lately and decided to do a small scale test run with a ebb flow hydroponic system. Anyone else out there using one of these systems?

Default Re: Gardening with Hydroponics vs Aeroponics vs Aquaponics, Are there any enthusiasts

There are lots of good videos on youtube on hydroponics. It's a neat way of farming.

Default Re: Gardening with Hydroponics vs Aeroponics vs Aquaponics, Are there any enthusiasts

Thanks... I've been checking out YouTube and you're right! Lot's of DIY from small to commercial size systems. I'm doing table top size this year, but may try something larger for my four season room for later on this or next year.

Hey david its great to see someone else on here into hydroponics. It's pretty strange how similar the two hobbies are. Yes, I love hydroponics and I would say my favorite system of hydroponics would be deep water culture. I have experience with drip systems, deep water, and a little in aeroponics. with DWC I didn't use the best nutrient source so I had HUGE volume yield over quality of product.. but hey I loved it. What type of systems are you into? Pictures too?

ps. Also bubbleponics is super sweet too. Essentially its just putting a bubbler (air stone or bubble wand) in your source of water.
    Last edited by Cameronv; 04-06-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Registered Member

Check out our Aquaponic systems!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AquaticEcoTV

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
    Hey david its great to see someone else on here into hydroponics. It's pretty strange how similar the two hobbies are. Yes, I love hydroponics and I would say my favorite system of hydroponics would be deep water culture. I have experience with drip systems, deep water, and a little in aeroponics. with DWC I didn't use the best nutrient source so I had HUGE volume yield over quality of product.. but hey I loved it. What type of systems are you into? Pictures too?

ps. Also bubbleponics is super sweet too. Essentially its just putting a bubbler (air stone or bubble wand) in your source of water.
    I'm starting off small and bought a HydroFarm MegaGarden Ebb and Flow system that has (15) 5 1/2 sq pots with a 7 1/2G reservoir. Overall 2ft sq and 10" tall. I also found a used AeroGarden on Craigslist for cheap to play with for this first year. I'm working on researching lighting for fall/winter for both growth and flowering.

41mVRzfXgYL._SS500_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Check out our Aquaponic systems!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AquaticEcoTV

-Ryan
    I really enjoyed the videos Ryan... looks like a great place to work!

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I'm starting off small and bought a HydroFarm MegaGarden Ebb and Flow system that has (15) 5 1/2 sq pots with a 7 1/2G reservoir. Overall 2ft sq and 10" tall. I also found a used AeroGarden on Craigslist for cheap to play with for this first year. I'm working on researching lighting for fall/winter for both growth and flowering.

41mVRzfXgYL._SS500_.jpg
    Nice set up, I'm sure your going to have a blast with that. For veg and flowing I use a 400 watt HPS, it can be used for both(it has blue spectrum for growing veg and red for flowering). With hood and ballast it costed me about 260 all together which wasn't too bad. Looking back I would've got an interchangeable ballast to use metal halide and HPS. If you wanted you could use it for a planted or reef tank too

Ryan those videos are sweet! The aquaponic system looks like so much fun.

After some reading, I've been thinking about getting the Hydrofarm SBC400 400-Watt HPS/MH Sunburst Convertible Unit along and use their 400W Agrosun Gold Halide Horizontal bulb. From what I see this bulb has a good combination of the light spectrum for growing out vegetables, fruits and flowers indoors.

Registered Member

There are many hydroponics lights available in market .
    Any body helps me to find best hydroponics lights ???

Registered Member

I use 2 hydro farm blockbuster 400 watts on a light mover in a sunhut xxl grow tent

Registered Member

I'm doing experiments with LED based systems....low heat means you can put the light close to the plant! Also check out the Kratky method, I've gone to it for all my lettuce growing...much easier and no power required...

Registered Member

Thanks for sharing nice information for indoor Gardening with Hydroponics.