ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

At least with the wal-mart cat litter, the slightest disturbance and you would have a milky white tank.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sphynx View Post
    Doh! Thank you!

I've been poring over his videos for days now, and totally missed this one.

In the meantime, I was able to snatch up 4 boxes of what seems to be the very last of it in the Tampa Bay area Petsmarts, lol.
    Big score on this one!!

Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

My AFS (the main first one I put in) is now 58 days in. I have no more biomedia in the system. The other 5 BCB's are playing catch up but here's the latest results. After 5 days without w/c and still 3 feedings a day and pretty heavy, my Nitrates are 3 to 5ppm. Phosphates are at absolute ZERO. The plant growth is getting serious now too. The discus are incredibly lively and active like i've never seen them. Even my littel stunt amongst the 6 is now taking on a whole new attitude, they are simply better for it. The water is clearer and cleaner even more so without purigen in the sump.

From here I guess is that I will still continue to w/c every 5th day until I see further No3 reduction. This will be when the remaining BCB's have fully matured. I shall keep you posted.
    I have also just installed the first BCB into my 220g system Oscar tank. This tank has some cyano and other algaes and I have deliberately left if the so I can document the changes and show its demise once the BCB starts working. As with what I did with the sump on the Discus tank, about half of the biomedia has been removed to this date. I am planning on another video about this tank shortly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

I asked that very same question of Dr Novak in the comment section of one of his videos; no response as of yet. With that said, I have seen others' videos where some have successfully used it and others who just complained of the tank being too dusty and cloudy (am pretty sure that would be due to not rinsing it extremely thoroughly).

Couple of issues as I see it: 1. Of course the all natural, baked clay litter would be the only viable option, as clumping, scented etc would NOT work. and 2. Since Novak's and Shaun's BCBs all have a mesh lining and topping, then covered with a bag of rocks/pebbles to prevent the litter from roaming and clouding, I'm thinking it's probably not the best idea for substrate.

But, I would love to hear if anyone is using it and recommends it.

I personally want to use PFS, over a plenum, but am hearing conflicting advice in doing so. My substrate choice is an ongoing conundrum, lol, but I have a couple of weeks left to figure it out before I am at the aquascaping stage.
    Thanks for the input. That is something worth thinking about.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cesar A. Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    My AFS (the main first one I put in) is now 58 days in. I have no more biomedia in the system. The other 5 BCB's are playing catch up but here's the latest results. After 5 days without w/c and still 3 feedings a day and pretty heavy, my Nitrates are 3 to 5ppm. Phosphates are at absolute ZERO. The plant growth is getting serious now too. The discus are incredibly lively and active like i've never seen them. Even my littel stunt amongst the 6 is now taking on a whole new attitude, they are simply better for it. The water is clearer and cleaner even more so without purigen in the sump.

From here I guess is that I will still continue to w/c every 5th day until I see further No3 reduction. This will be when the remaining BCB's have fully matured. I shall keep you posted.
    I have also just installed the first BCB into my 220g system Oscar tank. This tank has some cyano and other algaes and I have deliberately left if the so I can document the changes and show its demise once the BCB starts working. As with what I did with the sump on the Discus tank, about half of the biomedia has been removed to this date. I am planning on another video about this tank shortly.
    Great news with that update. Thanks!

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Hey Shau's Discus thanks a million for your updates with your tanks. I follow you on U-tube and getting my BCB's to settle in. So far all is good, just wish I've done this way earlier with my tank. Like you said I too have seen a difference the way the discus are reacting.

Now I'm thinking the brand new sump that is collecting dust needs to be reworked to accommodate this method
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Now I'm thinking the brand new sump that is collecting dust needs to be reworked to accommodate this method
    Ha ha!!! Ryan... been wondering where that project landed....I’m thinking of trying this in the empty refugium compartment if I can find the right materials. Why the heck not?

Real Name
    Heather

Big score on this one!!
    I can't tell you the level of anxiety and then subsequent relief felt with this whole laterite situation! I know folks say the fluorite red is acceptable substitute, but I haven't seen much anecdotal long-term success stories associated with it (unlike the laterite).

Which begs the question(s): Why is laterite so darn hard to find now (even globally)? Why have all the manufacturers discontinued it?

You don't even want to know all the conspiracy theories my mind can concoct with this one.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Laterite is plain soil. Nothing to manufacture. Demand maybe? Lack of I mean.

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Hello all!

Was so happy to stumble across this thread, that I had to register on the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=so9VTERXrkI

Welcome Salty Sphynx! Looking forward to seeing your updates. I'm building this anoxic filter in a special way that I believe everybody will be able to implement even if they don't have a sump. I'll post a build soon.

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    Welcome Salty Sphynx! Looking forward to seeing your updates. I'm building this anoxic filter in a special way that I believe everybody will be able to implement even if they don't have a sump. I'll post a build soon.
    Thank you!

I can't wait to see what you're designing.
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    Laterite is plain soil. Nothing to manufacture. Demand maybe? Lack of I mean.
    Hmmm. I thought it was the iron oxide and aluminum content that distinguished it? Can those levels be measured and replicated in standard soil or clay?
    Every Day is a Bonus!

Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

I can't tell you the level of anxiety and then subsequent relief felt with this whole laterite situation! I know folks say the fluorite red is acceptable substitute, but I haven't seen much anecdotal long-term success stories associated with it (unlike the laterite).

Which begs the question(s): Why is laterite so darn hard to find now (even globally)? Why have all the manufacturers discontinued it?

You don't even want to know all the conspiracy theories my mind can concoct with this one.
    The term itself "conspiracy theory" is the conspiracy theory. The term's origins date back to 1967 and was invented by ,,,,,, yes the CIA. In an effort to silence anyone who questioned an "official story" or the like, you were labeled one of these. It's purely an attempt to distract from the truth.

Laterite is in abundance everywhere in nature and because of this I guess it wasn't really profitable for companies to dig it up, package and sell it. It's easier for them to make up a name like ADA Aquasoil, advertise that it can do this and that and its got this and that and our stuff is the best etc etc etc And in reality its all BS. Just imagine if everyone could learn how to make their own fuel for their cars !!

The anoxic filtration system can't be marketed and sold by the Big companies because if you have half a brain, anyone can build it and implement it, and the awesome part is that it's better than anything else out there in the mainstream aquatic scene being sold. Once my last tank is converted over to a sump system I WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER STINKING MUCKY CANISTER FILTER AGAIN.

Rant finished!!

Real Name
    Zac

Latterite is simply a clay based material with a high level of iron and other elements, flourite red is essentialy clay with latterite added to it. Basically, flourite red is just a little less concentrated version of laterite. There will be 0 difference in performance between the 2, only difference is because flourite red has less iron/ gram of it you will need to use more flourite red as opposed to how much laterite you would need. You could, as an arbitrary example use 1/2 cup laterite, or 2 cups flourite red. As long as you use the appropriate ammount, there will be no difference in performance.

Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast