ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Heater problems!

Registered Member

Default Heater problems!

I have used marineland and the Ehiem Jager for my first 5 heaters. I am tired of them breaking or getting stuck on. Do you guys know of a brand that does not have this problem?

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Heater problems!

I've read good reviews about Aqueon heaters here and on other forums on the net if you are looking for reliable and shutter proof heater.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I was fed up of having the same problem, in my opinion the solution is to use titanium heaters with a separate temperature controller. Here in Europe we get good titanium heaters from Schego in Germany but I do not think they make 110v models so if you live stateside you will have to look for something similar over there, maybe the titanium Pro-Heat by Won Brothers paired with a suitable temperature controller, quite a few people here use inkbird-306 or 308
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I've read good reviews about Aqueon heaters here and on other forums on the net if you are looking for reliable and shutter proof heater.
    +1 Aqueon pro

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Again no direct experience with Aqueon as not sold in Europe but the reviews on Amazon.com and what I have read on many forums seem to confirm they are no more reliable than Eheim, plenty of people reporting they either "stick", stop working or split open. No appliance will ever be 100% fail-proof but I think that traditional all in one tank-heaters are inherently prone to failing because the delicate temperature regulator sits right in top of the powerful heating elements. I feel that a separate digital temperature controller with the probe that can be positioned anywhere in the tank and away from the heating element is a better option. Also the titanium heater is not only shatter-proof but can also be positioned horizontally close to the bottom of the tank so you don't have to remember to switch it off and then on again during water changes
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

I have 2 - 250 W Aqueon Pro adjustable heaters on my 75g for last year plus. So far they have been running fine keeping my tank at a stable temperature.

Real Name
    TONY

My solution to heaters is 2(250w) Eheim-Jagers / ETCI-1R Jehmco Controller. It has been accurate for over 5 years. Titanium & a controller is another way to go.

I feel that a separate digital temperature controller with the probe that can be positioned anywhere in the tank and away from the heating element is a better option. Also the titanium heater is not only shatter-proof but can also be positioned horizontally close to the bottom of the tank so you don't have to remember to switch it off and then on again during water changes

+++1 Yes Paul!!
    Last edited by tonytheboss1; 01-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Paul's way is the best way. I have an entire fish room of tanks to heat. The expense is prohibitive.

I spent a bundle on expensive heaters. They seem to fail sooner than cheap heaters. I grant that the Aqueons are the most reliable. I buy the cheap Won's. I always have extra heaters but since I stick my hand in all my tanks every day, I can catch a bad heater before it has a chance to do damage.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I use the ink bird controllers nice! I I've learned to use them in C mode. They fluctuate between one degree. Since C had a lower range of degree the fuluate very little..

Registered Member

+1 on the inkbird controllers. The other ones I have had good luck with are the Fluval digital, but they can be a bit too fussy. And the Hydor in-line heaters are great, but some people have had worse luck with them.