Default Re: I am back!! Six new Cuipeuas from Mark/WB Sabby

Just 36 hours or so to go...
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by CozyKeith View Post
    Just 36 hours or so to go...
    Well, more than two days later, and there are no wigglers. The eggs now are light orange, almost yellow. This is kind of weird. The male did make runs in the cone during spawn, but apparently he is not fertilizing the eggs. Remember, this is confirmed pair. I got wigglers before. Any explanation? Is this common?

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Well, more than two days later, and there are no wigglers. The eggs now are light orange, almost yellow. This is kind of weird. The male did make runs in the cone during spawn, but apparently he is not fertilizing the eggs. Remember, this is confirmed pair. I got wigglers before. Any explanation? Is this common?
    Mauro,

What are the water parameters in terms of temp and hardness? Is the cone in a high flow area of the tank?

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Origins View Post
    Mauro,

What are the water parameters in terms of temp and hardness? Is the cone in a high flow area of the tank?
    Water parameters: TDS 91 ppm, PH 7.4. It has been very hot here in New Orleans, which has kept the tank's temperature at around 87F (I usually keep it at 82F). Since the fry failed to attach to parents in the two spawns in which I got free-swimmers, the pair is now in an area of the tank with very little water circulation.
    Last edited by DiscusBR; 07-20-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Water parameters: TDS 91 ppm, PH 7.4. It has been very hot here in New Orleans, which has kept the tank's temperature at around 87F (I usually keep it at 82F). Since the fry failed to attach to parents in the two spawns in which I got free-swimmers, the pair is now in an area of the tank with very little water circulation.
    87 is very high....I've never had good hatch rates above 83-84F. That may be problem....also male could be still young.

Real Name
    Mauro

87 is very high....I've never had good hatch rates above 83-84F. That may be problem....also male could be still young.
    Thank you, Mark. I might need to wait for the end of summer to make this work My apartment gets very hot during the day and unfortunately I cannot afford a chiller. But I have learned that discus-keeping requires patience, so I will wait.

Thank you, Mark. I might need to wait for the end of summer to make this work My apartment gets very hot during the day and unfortunately I cannot afford a chiller. But I have learned that discus-keeping requires patience, so I will wait.
    Do you keep your AC on in the apartment during the day? It's 95F here in FL but we set the AC of the warehouse at 80F. That keeps the water around 82F all day.

Also double check to make sure your heater isn't coming on when the water is warm.

Real Name
    Mauro

Do you keep your AC on in the apartment during the day? It's 95F here in FL but we set the AC of the warehouse at 80F. That keeps the water around 82F all day.

Also double check to make sure your heater isn't coming on when the water is warm.
    Hi Mark, I am leaving the AC on at home during the day, which has brought the tank's temperature to 82F. The pair spawned yesterday. I thought this time they would do it right and decided to not put the mesh. My mistake, the eggs were eaten. I will put the mesh next time.

The 4 discus in the 75g (including the confirmed pair) are doing well and look healthy. But things started going downhill today in the 48g tank where I have two Laranjal discus in quarantine. One of them started to Whirl an hour ago. No darting, but looks sick, with strong stress bars, and swimming in circles. Oh boy, here I go again... I decided to start immediately a treatment with Tinidazol: 500mg/10gal. I am also switching tank lights off and raising the temperature to 89F. Will see...

Real Name
    Mauro

Hi Mark, I am leaving the AC on at home during the day, which has brought the tank's temperature to 82F. The pair spawned yesterday. I thought this time they would do it right and decided to not put the mesh. My mistake, the eggs were eaten. I will put the mesh next time.

The 4 discus in the 75g (including the confirmed pair) are doing well and look healthy. But things started going downhill today in the 48g tank where I have two Laranjal discus in quarantine. One of them started to Whirl an hour ago. No darting, but looks sick, with strong stress bars, and swimming in circles. Oh boy, here I go again... I decided to start immediately a treatment with Tinidazol: 500mg/10gal. I am also switching tank lights off and raising the temperature to 89F. Will see...

and raising the temperature to 89F
    Do not do that! The high temperature helps bacteria reproduce faster.
    Check from time to time pH, because the medicine may raise them above 7, which will not be good for the fish.
    My wild Browns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_r41J-o6M

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Mapet View Post
    Do not do that! The high temperature helps bacteria reproduce faster.
    Check from time to time pH, because the medicine may raise them above 7, which will not be good for the fish.
    Ok, I am keeping the temperature at 84F. I don't understand your comment about PH. The PH in that results from my RO/Tap water mix is 7.4. It is always above 7.0.

BTW, the Laranjal looks a bit better. He hides a lot in a corner, but was swimming around the tank today. Stress bars remain strong, though.

I did a 50% WC and re-dosed the Tinidazol.

I don't understand your comment about PH. The PH in that results from my RO/Tap water mix is 7.4. It is always above 7.0.
    It's about medicine, when pH drop under 6 treatment is not strong enough to kill bacteria, if go above medicine can be toxic for fish.
    When I treatment my fish to bacteria i not doing water changes a few days. Only I was using enroflaksacin.
    My wild Browns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_r41J-o6M

Real Name
    Fred

Darned Mauro, For those with the whirling disease, when I had an outbrack, I turned the light off, but I also taped some garbage bags on the side of the aquarium to make them darker. I hope you beat it.

Real Name
    Mauro

Hi everyone,

Time for another update. First, the good news about the 2 laranjal discus that were in quarantine in the 48g tank. After I saw one of them swirling, I did two separate rounds (two doses each) of a Tinidazol treatment, with a five-day interval between the two rounds, followed by a lot of clean water. I am happy to report that the laranjals are doing very well. After two months in quarantine, I moved them to the 75g with two of my Cuipeuas. I made a video of the tank today with the four wilds (sorry for the poor-quality and shaky video). The video starts with the two laranjals and then moves to the two Cuiepeuas:

I took the tank divider and moved the Uatuma Red-Cuipeua pair from the 75g to the 48g. After a few days in the tank, they got busy again:

As you can see in the video, both fish are shedding a bit of slime coat (top of the dorsal fin). I am not very concerned, since I have been doing a lot of WCs to keep water quality. Is it normal for breeding pairs to shed some slime coat?

I hope that this spawn will succeed. Temperatures remain very hot here in New Orleans. Even when I leave the AC on in the room during the day, the tank’s temperature is around 85F. Now that the pair has their own tank, things should work better. I am going to put the mesh over the cone. Fingers crossed.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Things seem to be working out for you Mauro and love seeing those two run the cone. Best of luck in getting wigglers
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast