AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to off gas chlorine from tap?

Registered Member

Default How long does it take to off gas chlorine from tap?

Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how long it really takes to off gas (not sure if I am using the right term) the chlorine form tap water? I've heard 24 hours with an airstone. If multiple airstoens are run, can it be done in 12 hours?

thanks in advance for any explanations.
    Ant
    Anthony
    973 449 3110

Default Re: How long does it take to off gas chlorine from tap?

Quote Originally Posted by antpal01 View Post
    Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how long it really takes to off gas (not sure if I am using the right term) the chlorine form tap water? I've heard 24 hours with an airstone. If multiple airstoens are run, can it be done in 12 hours?

thanks in advance for any explanations.
    Ant

I'd just wait the 24, actually if you are sure you have just chlorine, sodium thiosulfate is cheap as dirt.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Hi Eddie, thx. I am not sure if I have only chlorine, but I can check w my water dept. Good call. Any suggestions on where to get sodium thiosulfate (if I have only chlorine)?

Also, does anyone know if 12 hours would be enough?

Reason I ask is because I am trying to do water changes twice a day (have an automatic system). Because of the set up, I don't have enough storage space to house water to do only one large water change - so I am breaking it into two smaller ones. Thus my question on whether 12 hours is enough.

Thanks again for any additional thoughts.

thx,
    Ant
    Anthony
    973 449 3110

Anthony the time may vary with every water source. Best bet is to check your water yourself. Chlorine test kits are cheap and easy. Do check with your water co. to see if you have chloramines.

I would just plumb some carbon blocks into your system before adding your water to your holding tanks. This method would be instantaneous. They'll need replacing at certain intervals.

I'd still age and aerate it though. Perhaps, rather than an airstone, try a water pump heavily splashing the water surface or add a venturi to it since you need that water ready fast.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

Ed13, makes sense. thanks. Any suggestions on places to get carbon blocks?

thx again!
    Ant
    Anthony
    973 449 3110

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by antpal01 View Post
    Hi Eddie, thx. I am not sure if I have only chlorine, but I can check w my water dept. Good call. Any suggestions on where to get sodium thiosulfate (if I have only chlorine)?

Also, does anyone know if 12 hours would be enough?
    Anthony,
    Chlorine is very unstable. So if you aerate vigorously, 12 hours should be plenty. But to be on the safe side, just use Sodium Thiosulfate. It instantly neutralizes both chlorine AND chloramine*.

You can find it (or sodium thiosulfite) in a swimming pool supply store. As Eddie said, it is as cheap as dirt. A very little goes a very long way.

But do check with your water supply company as to what exactly you have coming out of your tap.

* NOTE, there is a school of thought that chloramines need to be neutralized with expensive fish store products that also neutralize the amines (which could turn into either ammonia or ammonium). I firmly believe that unless you live in a high pH area (i.e. pH 8 and above), that you do NOT need to worry about the amines. Your seasoned filter will address the minute amounts of amine produced. I only use sodium thiosulfate to neutralize chloramines. And this was for daily 100% WC with juvies.

Tim

Real Name
    Rick

Your seasoned filter will address the minute amounts of amine produced. I only use sodium thiosulfate to neutralize chloramines. And this was for daily 100% WC with juvies
    I tend to agree however, make sure your filter is well established, this is a no-no for tanks not completely cycled. It also matters how large a water change and how much chloramine you have in your water.

I used to just "off gas" the chlorine in my water, but one time the city increased the chlorine drastically. The offgasing was not sufficient and I lost all my discus!
    I do not take chances anymore and always use a chemical agent to neutralize the chlorine. Carbon blocks work well also if you change them often enough.

With chloramine I would use prime.
    hth
    Ardan

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

i have an automated water changing system. at the suggestion of one of the forum members, i use the front end of a RO system (a simple chlorine filter). only have to replace the cartrige every few months.

I installed a 1.5cf carbon filter. been a year and a half and still working .treats whole house too.

Quote Originally Posted by csarkar001 View Post
    i have an automated water changing system. at the suggestion of one of the forum members, i use the front end of a RO system (a simple chlorine filter). only have to replace the cartrige every few months.
    Adding a sediment filter before the chlorine one will improve its efficiency.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

the front end of the RO system has a sediment filter.

Registered Member

How long it will take to degass chlorine depends mostly on the concentration of the chlorine in the water. That, and how heavy the aeration is will make a big difference. Lots of variables.

IMO, sodium thiosulfate is cheap and highly effective at dechlorination. Sending the water through a carbon system is very effective as well. I would still degas/aerate the water to stabilize parameters like pH.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I tend to agree however, make sure your filter is well established, this is a no-no for tanks not completely cycled.
    +1. A mature filter is a MUST have if you're neutralizing chloramines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    I would still degas/aerate the water to stabilize parameters like pH.
    -Ryan
    There is a huge amount of dissolved gases in my tap (the water comes out milky white). So I run the water through a pump, up a hose and smash it back into surface of the water in the holding tank. This creates all sorts of turbulence and degases that water pretty quick. If I did not do this, there would be minute air bubbles all over the tank and the fish which could get really uncomfortable for them.

The mixing also ensures that the sodium thiosulfate gets throughly mixed in.

Tim

Talking Re: How long does it take to off gas chlorine from tap?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd just wait the 24, actually if you are sure you have just chlorine, sodium thiosulfate is cheap as dirt.
    Hi Eddie, on a lighter note, I know it's just a saying but when you say "cheap as dirt" are you referring to soil ?
    If so, come to any garden centres in England and you will find that it certainly isn't cheap at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast