ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: does not gain weight

Registered Member

Default does not gain weight

I have a blue snakeskin that was discharging white poo so I treated it with general cure it was quite thin but it seemed to cure the problem no more white poo but it has been a month now and the fish has not gained any weight but eats quite well would it still have parasites

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: does not gain weight

Sounds like your fish is still infected. Maybe not a complete kill on the parasites. Most of the lifers here say that the metro component of general cure is not strong/pure enough to adequately deal with internal parasites in discus.
    Buy metro from jehmco. I believe the dosing is 500mg/10gal daily i think for 10 days, with a big water change b4 each new dose. Hopefully someone with more experience can conform the number of days...

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Sounds like your fish is still infected. Maybe not a complete kill on the parasites. Most of the lifers here say that the metro component of general cure is not strong/pure enough to adequately deal with internal parasites in discus.
    Buy metro from jehmco. I believe the dosing is 500mg/10gal daily i think for 10 days, with a big water change b4 each new dose. Hopefully someone with more experience can conform the number of days...
    Daniel is correct. It’s also recommended to raise temp to 90 degrees+/- during treatment and treat for 12-14 days. I guess if they are eating after 12 days you could stop treatment? I used jehmco and I mentioned this site and he knew us and our protocol. I did 90% wc daily and re dosed full amount daily. It’s a pain, but so rewarding to see them get hungry again and recover. Also mix metronidazole in warm water and shake it up to dissolve it before adding to tank. HTH
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If the fish is eating well and poop looks good and dark I would give it another month. Remember that parasites naturally occur in fish and the goal with metro is to knock the parasites back to give the fish a chance to regain a strong immunity system to keep the parasites in check. If the fish remains thin perhaps worms are a problem.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening