ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Buddies = Discus Nightmare

Thumbs down Tank Buddies = Discus Nightmare

Oh when the good turns to bad it's really bad. Anyone who knows me knows I have tried just about every drug on the market and a few not on the market on my discus. The goal is simple. I'm always striving for healthier discus when I send them to my customers.

The other day I found out my pazi had gone bad. I always treat my discus with prazi before I ship them. I had ordered more but it had not come in. A friend of mine suggested he used a product by Jungle called Parasite Clear "Tank Buddies". It looked like a good product to me mostly containing prazi. I went out and purchased enough to treat several tanks. Day 1 I treated 2 tanks. I noticed after 18 hours the discus were coming to the top and the tank was very cloudy. No problem. I did a 90% water change. The next day the discus were fine. No worms though. My friend said he saw worms after 15-17 hours so I figured this tank was clear. So I did the same on a few more tanks. I followed the recommended dosage of 1 tablet per 10 gallons of water. This time a few tanks did not make it 12 hours and the discus were gasping for air. So again I did a 90% water change. It was 11:00 at night so after the water change I left and set my alarm for 3:00am to come back and check on them. Well you can see what I found.

All I can say is if you have used this product and it works good for you. If you have not used this product DON'T. I see no reason to. I will never again use this product. My thoughts are my water is high Ph 7.8 and high hardness 780ms. It looks like it works well in soft water, but I have no desire to experiment with this product any further. I'll stick to the real deal Pazi and mix it myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Tank Buddies = Discus Nightmare

another shot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Jeff
    Thanks for the info. I will sure stay away.
    Sorry about your losses.
    Bryant

Registered Member

Oh my God! What a shame!
    I've used this once with high PH and hardness and my fish were fine. They did not produce worms either. I think this product has metro in it too?? My tank just turned a shade different and a tiny bit cloudy. I do have 2 large AC filters and two sponges on a 90 gallon. Do you think it could have been that it reduced the oxygen in the tank?
    I feel terrible for you, I would have had a heart attack if that happened to me.
    Maybe you should contact Jungle and see what they have to say.
    So sorry!
    Karen

Forever Friends

Hi Jeff, sorry to hear. I've used it in my ph of 7.7 and haven't had a problems. What was your tank temp when you used it?

Barb

Real Name
    Brian

What a shame! I've used it on fry as young as 2 weeks and have never had any problems...

Registered Member

Ack!! Very sorry Jeff I've used it multiple times, on new fish, etc. I was warned however to provide extra air stones while treating. I think Jungle needs to put that warning on the package. How terrible for you!
    Thanks for the heads up....I'm not sure I'd use again either.

Robin

Real Name
    Jim

Jeff,

That pic breaks my heart

Sorry about your tragic loss but thanks for the heads up

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

Jeff that sucks bud if you have any left send it up and I will test it on some culls in soft water

OMG Jeff, I'm so sorry . I've used the product more than a couple times on my tank with good results on new discus (used a little less though on my tank, 4 tabs instead of 5). What kind of filtration was going on the tanks? I have softened water and my pH is about 7.6-7.8.

Banned

That's a real shame about all the dead discus. Seveal months ago I bought enough to treat 300 gallons per pkg. instructions (I got a great deal on them, that's why I tried them). I never used them before. I had no adverse effects whatsoever on any of my discus, albino bushynose, and a pair of blue rams. I do not know if pH and water hardness has an effect or not. My water out of the tap is very soft and slightly acid.

sorry bout ur loss i have use it for a long time now and have never had a prob my ph is 8.1 and pretty hard water

No idea why it so adversely affected my discus, but it did.

Forever Friends

I think it is like Dylox, you must keep your tank temp under 83 or 84 and add extra aeration. I've read that the chemical in it becomes more toxic with higher temps.

Barb
    Last edited by Barb Newell; 02-13-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Possibly. My temp is 84-86.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast