ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: bought 3 more discus...

Registered Member

Default bought 3 more discus...

and added to my 8, from Ken's Discus.
    the 3, from Mac's Discus, are 2,3,4 in size of total.
    the 1 big #1 is chasing them all around, to establish who's boss...
    so when is enough is enough?
    are they playing? I don't think so, cuz 1 of them never does the chasing.
    how long to you give them to be more 'friendly'? before I have to seperate them.

Registered Member

Default Re: bought 3 more discus...

Hi Turock, Discus do that,they chase each other around,I was kind of Surprised by that to.If one Fish is getting injured to the point that the Fish might be killed,you should move that Fish to another Tank.I recently started a 47 Gallon Cube Aquarium and put a Piece of Driftwood Right in the center,That way they can chase each other around the Piece of Driftwood.It's only worked a little bit,I still see Fish with scales missing from there sides, from being rammed into.But there Healthy enough to endure it.How do you like your Discus from Mac's Discus?I was thinking of ordering from them.

Registered Member

Mac's Discus, his name is Steve..., is an importor. He doesn't breed anymore.
    So of course there will be some Prime specimens, and runts.
    Best way of course is to see first hand and pick them yourself.
    But, since you can not, I would ask Steve to pick the best.
    He does not have all varieties pictured on his website.
    It is best to call and see what he has in.
    He is getting a shipment of Thai yellows today, I'm gonna pick one up.
    And another big shipment May 6th. I'll be there to, he said he had tigers? coming.
    He said he imports from Thailand.
    I bought 3 discus from him Monday. Blue diamond, Red, Red Ribbon.
    The 2 red were 4", and blue was 2.5.
    The 2 red's eye's were I bit bigger than an discus I grew from 2"...
    But the blue was perfect I thought.
    When I first saw the Red, it has red fins, orangish body, I had to get him. I said Wow, those lit up the room for me. But the tail fins are lil frayed, hope they grow out. I don't remember the exact name of this red, not on his website.
    His lives out in rural area, woods, otters, racoons visits his giant pond in his back yard. Discus are housed in an garage. About.. 100 tanks. Seattle water is great, we don't have to add anything to the water, straight tap, maybe a little prime.
    If I were you, I would purchase the smaller ones, with small eyes, when he gets them in. And feed and grow them out. Like all importers, they aren't in it to grow out show fish. They want to sell.
    Yes, I would buy from him again. But he is local and I can pick and choose.
    Ken's Discus is also near, he is a breeder. He has nice discus to. I got to see the parents, which is great, to see what the babies grow up to be. His website is more accurate with his stock at hand. His place is in the city of Seattle, in an garage, about 30 tanks. He recently had an local sale, picked up 5.
    I just started raising discus 2 months ago.
    I would say, the only way I see to get perfect specimens, is to breed and grow them yourself. So many variables along the way. Is that about right?

As for my discus, I see no blood yet... and no one is hiding in the corner.

i hope you dont get disease problems. adding to existing stock from other sources is very risky. best to start a new tank and separate hoses etc with new fish.
    if they keep chasing..you may have to take the one out whos chasing keep him in a bucket for a bit move things around if you can..then re-add him. then hes the new guy in the tank.

Please take April's sound advise. The best way to buy discus is to aquire them all at once, as a group from the same source. That way they are all being quaranteened together and there shouldn't be any problems. Also the fish seem to establish their pecking order as they grow so you don't have the extreme fights to establish their pecking order. My 5 golden albinos, now adults, fight like crazy but it is more evenly fighting. Not one bully taking control.

Registered Member

Turok,

Hey I am getting back into freshwater tanks (did reef for many years), looking for some good breeders and stores up in this area (or down in my area in relation to you) and would love some input. I am wanting to do a Discus tank in my front room. I had some discus 15 years ago and I actually bought them from Mac's when they were out of a store in Redmond I beleive. I also bought some angels from them that did well. Bummer they don't breed anymore. I think it was the wife I met and dealt with. She was very nice and helpful. Do you know anything about the water in Puyallup? I will be running some tests on it, but wondering if you have heard good or bad about it. Thanks.

Chris

Registered Member

Hi Turok, I live north from seattle and when i do test on the tap water I never had any result no ammonia,nitrite,nitrate. I was wondering is the water good or the api master test kit is not working?

Quote Originally Posted by circle View Post
    Hi Turok, I live north from seattle and when i do test on the tap water I never had any result no ammonia,nitrite,nitrate. I was wondering is the water good or the api master test kit is not working?
    you know.. this thread is 4 yrs old..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Sorry just pay attention to the date not the year,my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by circle View Post
    Sorry just pay attention to the date not the year,my bad.
    thats means your researching.. good..

if you find a old thread.. click name of person you want info from.. and see their LAST ACTIVITY DATE>. if they are current.. send them a PM AND link to thread you are referring to.. they may need the heads up for any updates you want.. LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rowland Herron

Thank you everyone for answering my question on macs discus, I plan to get 8 babies and want to get them all at once.
    It's hard to find sights with the pictures of the parents so you can get an idea of what the babies would look like.
    Everything I see in the pet shops don"t look too good.

Real Name
    TONY

It's hard to find sights with the pictures of the parents so you can get an idea of what the babies would look like.
    Not exact but chk under the heading color from small to big http://discus-hans-usa.com/ It will give you some ideas. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"