ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for Heiko or someone who knows...

Registered Member

Default A question for Heiko or someone who knows...

Hi Heiko and everybody,

In a few weeks I hope my 650 litres tank will be ready for my nanays and I´d like to set up a Nanay river biotope so I´m looking for nanay river characids and corys. I´ve thought Boehlkea fredcochui as and c. julii would be fine but I´d really apreciate your opinion about another species.

Thanks a lot

Registered Member

Default Re: A question for Heiko or someone who knows...

Hi,

sorry for the late answer, but I was in Germany and just now leaving for judging discus in KL (at the AQUA FAIR in Malaysia) and for lectures there.

For your (nice) 650 liter aquarium have also a look at my Nanay decoration at:
    Bleher's Biotopes on my website
    http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/inde...d=99&Itemid=64

I would have at least 6-8 greens from Nanay in it (up to 10 is also ok, if you can afford it); some 5-6 angelfishes (if possible wilds from Peru), if you want a group of 8-10 Corydoras (best leucomelas or arcuatus); you can also have some nice Apistogramma bitaeniata in it (not biotope correct, but still nice); you should have some larger loricariids like Panaque species (about 2-3), 3-4 Rineloricaria or Loricaria spp., and if you want a couple of smaller freshwater stingrays (Tiger). If you want chacoids, i would take Petitella georgiae - a group of at least 15 (better 20-25), that will make it very well and they are much more group oriented that Boehlkea fredcochui.

Make sure you have fine white sand on the bottom and have some nice driftwood (well watered).

All the best now,

always

Heiko
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    www.aqua-aquapress.com

Registered Member

Hi Heiko,

Many thanks for your answear, I really apreciate it. I was thinking to set up a wild discus tank so I only will introduce some tetras and corys with them. I like so much blue tetras so I will but Petitella georgiae too then, I will do 2 groups of 25 each and 10 leucomelas.

Here some of my wild Nanay RSG waiting for their new home...

By ixaka

By ixaka

By ixaka

Sorry, don't mean to get in between the conversation Zulu but your Discus are extremely beautiful. Love their shape, color...everything. Goodluck with the set-up!

Eddie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heiko Bleher View Post
    you should have some larger loricariids like Panaque species (about 2-3) (well watered).
    Hi Heiko or anybody who is in the know,

Does large panaque species live together with the discus(in this case here in Peru)? I know there are large panaques such as LDA65 and L90 etc in Peru but would it be accurate that they live with discus? I have those two and would be encouraged to keep them together if they do!

Registered Member

Fantastic dscus Zulu!.What will be the measures of your new tank?
    lp

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Sorry, don't mean to get in between the conversation Zulu but your Discus are extremely beautiful. Love their shape, color...everything. Goodluck with the set-up!

Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

Of course you are invited to get into this post, it´s open to everybody!!!
    I´m glad you like them.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Fantastic dscus Zulu!.What will be the measures of your new tank?
    lp
    Hi,

It´s a 180x60x60cms tank.

Registered Member

where did you purchase those fine rsg's?

I would be hesitant to keep large Panaque with Discus but I guess you can always remove them should they prove too aggressive or more likely, too messy.
    I have kept Panaque sp L204 with Discus and because they like warm water it worked out well and they did not bother the discus. L204 are also messy, all Panaque are wood eaters and produce gross amounts of crude.
    I would use one of the Ancistrus spp and Hypancistrus spp for a clean up crew.
    You may want to consider the beautiful Coral Red pencilFish, Nannostomus mortenthaleri. They are endemic to Rio Nanay and some tributaries.
    Mighty fine looking Green Discus you have.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 11-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnm View Post
    where did you purchase those fine rsg's?

I purchased them directly from Iquitos, Peru. I made myself an import.

Registered Member

Thanks a lot everybody for your comments. I have already decided tankmates for my discus; some Boehlkea fredcochui, Petitella georgiae and Corydoras leucomelas. I will show you the tank when it´s finished.

Regards

Registered Member

Hi,

this is Heiko and thanks for the comments. And fantastic greens you have their, congratulation.

Yes you can keep Panaque with your discus, they live in the same habitat and I have never ever seen them be aggressive, contrary Hypostomus, do not ad those.

Naturally if you want blue tetra ok, but make sure they sell you the correct one with the white edged fin (as there a re two very similar looking, but one has almost no colour and no white fins). And Larry, I do not really think to ad Nannostomus mortenthaleri is a very good idea. They occur very far aways from discus abd their habitat, in tiny creeks and bodies of water.

Anyhow, keep up the good work,

always

Heiko
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    www.aqua-aquapress.com

Registered Member

Hello Heiko,
    just found this site
    have been out of discus for awhile, but was in KL in 2001 for their show; very nice show. then went to Aqua Rama, bangkok, vietnam, penang, hong kong.
    it's been a long time since we visited here in San Jose, CA. good to see you are still the world traveler.

take care
    Richard Feiller

Registered Member

hi Richard,

long time no see, hope you are well.

The AQUA Fair is the new KL show, since 2006 held in the a fantastic building (next to the most gorgeous skyscrapers on Earth, the Petronas twin towers) and sponsored by the Malaysian Government - is to be the number one ornamental fish show and competition on Earth. I was invited for the 2nd time (and besides judging and lecturing - 50 this year already - I had to colelct some fishes and found probably a new Betta, just beautiful).

Anyhow next year I will be lecturing in London, Ontario and in Portland Oregon, so maybe we see each other. Have you read my book? If yes give me some comment, we publish it under "comments" on our website.

All the best,

always

Heiko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast