PDA

View Full Version : frozen BH to buy?

Dogvet06
10-14-2012, 09:58 PM
i see most of you make your own beef heart mix....does anyone sell theirs frozen? im giving mine frozen beef heart plus and they dont seem to keen on it and it probably isnt the best. im also feeding bh pro growth flake, new life spectrum discus pellets, fd black worms, mysis shrimp.

thanks!

Eddie
10-14-2012, 10:00 PM
i see most of you make your own beef heart mix....does anyone sell theirs frozen? im giving mine frozen beef heart plus and they dont seem to keen on it and it probably isnt the best. im also feeding bh pro growth flake, new life spectrum discus pellets, fd black worms, mysis shrimp.

thanks!

May I ask why you don't want to make any of your own? Its not that tough. It can be messy to prepare and clean but WELL worth it. I know Al used to sell his. Not sure if he still does.

Dogvet06
10-14-2012, 10:03 PM
b/c all my free time goes to WC! LOL i dont have food processor or anything nor am I home at a time i can go to butcher etc to get any. i work out of town and drive an hour to and from work. it would just be easier to buy it :/

Eddie
10-14-2012, 10:13 PM
b/c all my free time goes to WC! LOL i dont have food processor or anything nor am I home at a time i can go to butcher etc to get any. i work out of town and drive an hour to and from work. it would just be easier to buy it :/

You don't necessarily have to go to the butcher. Some food markets sell everything that you need. :) But yeah, definitely check with Al (brewmaster), he may still be selling.

Keith Perkins
10-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Al was the only one I thought of as well. I grind mine by hand so it's nearly a labor of love, definitely not something I'd sell.

DLock3d
10-15-2012, 12:20 AM
There are many substitutions that you can use for beef heart. A lot of people use turkey. You could probably make a good recipe in a blender. If you have a good blender that is. :)

Wes
10-15-2012, 12:30 AM

thanks! Hans online store http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44
"Discus Hans Custom Beef Food Mix $15.00
This custom beef blend food is fed exclusively to all fish at the Discus Hans Facility. Sold in 1 lb packages. Available by custom order only - please email: discus-hans@comcast.net to place an order."

Skip
10-15-2012, 12:31 AM
yep.. hans

BobDaniel
10-15-2012, 01:01 AM
San Fran Brand sells a beefheart in small cubes. Since I have only 6 fish, this is the way I go. If I had multiple tanks, I'd make my mix at home without a doubt. I could make enough in one afternoon to last two or three months.

Dogvet06
10-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks didnt see the food on hans site. Will look again!

Keith Perkins
10-15-2012, 07:46 AM
I think Hans is feeding ground beef, not beefheart, but here's the link.

http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=131

Moon
10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I've been making my own for quite a few years. It takes about 3 hours of my time to make a batch of 8lbs. It is quite labour intensive but worth it.

kreekree
10-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I bought some today as I am waiting for my black worms to show up from Ken's. My 2.5" discus x2 showed no interest and prefer the tetra color bits. Just keep offering it I assume?