PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Soaking Pellets ?

DiscusLoverJeff
10-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Hello friends,

The past few weeks I have noticed more and more that my discus are not eating the Tetra pellets or any other pellets I feed them (Spectrum, Hikari). I never pre-soaked them before as I usually feed pellets before going to work so it's just plop and they drop and the fish just turn away.

If you do soak them before feeding, how long are you soaking them for? At some point they would disolve I assume? Is there a better pellet than Tetra and Hikari?

Included in my balance diet for them, I feed freeze dried blackworms, beefheart flakes (with Pro-More), frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They seem to avoid not only the pellets now, but also the beefheart flakes.

As with a previous post regarding not eating bloodworms, I am thinking they are just going through different eating habits.

Thanks,

Jeff

Eddie
10-15-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't feed pellets too often but I generally never pre-soak. The fish will eventually eat the pellets when they are soft enough if that is the issue.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Not sure if being soft is the issue or they just get bored, so I figured if it is the consistancy that is the issue, pre-soaking could soften them up but will it also take away from flavor that attracts the fish to begin with?

I should just eliminated it from their diet as I have plenty of other food to feed them. Though I know many people feed pellets also and some are designed especially for discus.

Eddie
10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Not sure if being soft is the issue or they just get bored, so I figured if it is the consistancy that is the issue, pre-soaking could soften them up but will it also take away from flavor that attracts the fish to begin with?

I should just eliminated it from their diet as I have plenty of other food to feed them. Though I know many people feed pellets also and some are designed especially for discus.

Yeah, I never really used pellets as a staple. Back in Okinawa I did use Tetra Breeder pellets and I still have some but never use them. My fish get only mix with an occasional feeding of FDBWs.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
That makes sense Eddie about just the mix and FDBW.

I should just eliminate a couple staples from my many varieties and focus on 2, maybe 3 types as apposed to the 6 or 7 I am feeding them.

Eddie
10-15-2012, 09:57 PM
That makes sense Eddie about just the mix and FDBW.

I should just eliminate a couple staples from my many varieties and focus on 2, maybe 3 types as apposed to the 6 or 7 I am feeding them.

Its just easier for me and I know they are getting max nutrition. Mind you, I am growing my fish out. When they are full grown adults, I will switch to a dry food. Something clean and well balanced.