View Full Version : Red Diamond Discus

DiscusLoverJeff
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Could the Marlboro Red also be classified as a Red Diamond discus?

I was asked this question this past weekend from someone who was buying some of my ARSG juvies. We started talking Blue Diamonds and it shifted to "is there a Red Diamond discus?"

I did a google search and started looking at some of the images but nothing struck me as being as solid as a BD except for possibly the Marlboro Red. Like the BD with it's soft light blue color throughout its entire body, I have not seen a completely solid red. The Marlboro most times has a black halo around its body.

Just a question.

terps
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
A red diamond discus is a cross between a leopard and red turquoise. The fish has lines that are dotted and dashed and sometimes connected. Here's some photo links:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTf9YsoRXyUkYOqSffU68cdT9_jtrRq7 jeztiwvawrajbbSEcNb

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5uXNVJDYHE2uvDYRv9A0x9x5SL8cZq rzblPnSPIWwEmjXHDTb

cjr8420
10-15-2012, 05:06 PM
A red diamond discus is a cross between a leopard and red turquoise. The fish has lines that are dotted and dashed and sometimes connected. Here's some photo links:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTf9YsoRXyUkYOqSffU68cdT9_jtrRq7 jeztiwvawrajbbSEcNb

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5uXNVJDYHE2uvDYRv9A0x9x5SL8cZq rzblPnSPIWwEmjXHDTb
sure they are according to who took the pics making up a name for a bad pattern leopard

Could the Marlboro Red also be classified as a Red Diamond discus?

I was asked this question this past weekend from someone who was buying some of my ARSG juvies. We started talking Blue Diamonds and it shifted to "is there a Red Diamond discus?"

I did a google search and started looking at some of the images but nothing struck me as being as solid as a BD except for possibly the Marlboro Red. Like the BD with it's soft light blue color throughout its entire body, I have not seen a completely solid red. The Marlboro most times has a black halo around its body.

Just a question.
its the name game is that marlboro red, a marlboro red or a red melon lol call it what u want but a red diamond is not a strain just a made up name for someones mutt cross variety my $.02 lol

rdiscus
10-15-2012, 05:10 PM
I think red diamond should be solid red ... like blue diamond is solid blue

terps
10-15-2012, 05:56 PM
sure they are according to who took the pics making up a name for a bad pattern leopard

its the name game is that marlboro red, a marlboro red or a red melon lol call it what u want but a red diamond is not a strain just a made up name for someones mutt cross variety my $.02 lol

You are wrong. That "Red Diamond" cross has been around for many years. I believe it was developed in the late 1990s. The red diamond discus is mentioned and photographed in the books Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng and also in Asia Discus by Johnny Yip.

The Red Diamond is a cross with a red spotted green and red turquoise, not a leopard(my mistake). They are still being sold. I think Sunrise Tropicals still sells them. They are nice looking fish too. I think sales of the red diamond slowed when the spotted snakeskins became available and got cheaper.

camuth8
10-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't think that they're the same because I know that a Red Marlboro is a Pigeonblood strain, and I'm pretty sure that Diamonds aren't Pigeonblood strains.

Keith Perkins
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
In my thread about about the odd 25% offspring I saw with from my F1 Red Cover/Virgin Reds, Rod mentioned he thought the offspring would look like RGDs (Red Golden Diamond) or golden melons when they grew up, depending on how well the red color transferred. That got me wondering if RGDs were somehow related to Blue Diamonds so I PMed him. I assume he won't mind me passing on excerpts of his response. "The diamond name in discus actually refers to perfect solid color. Yellow diamond, blue diamond, red diamond, white diamond are only connected by name, not by gene."

The other thing I asked that seems relevant to this thread was if he could tell me if RGDs are actually in the backgrounds of Red Covers or Virgin Reds? His response, "Yes, RGD's are in the background. Or more specifically they share a common mutated gene. That is the gene that causes the normal blue/green/turquoise/white striations to disappear. Virgin red, san merah, red melon, RGD, flamingo, albino golden melon, rose red....etcetera etcetera. The list is really, really long. On the surface some of these types appear unrelated. After all, red melons are pigeon bloods, rgd's are goldens and albino golden melon are albino. More subtly, there are color differences even between the brown based types rose red, virgin red and red cover. All of these differences however, does not change the fact they all share 1 thing, the mutated gene that causes the pattern to disappear."

DiscusLoverJeff
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Great information Keith.

I was always thinking if the red diamond would be solid red strain like the blue diamonds.

If you look at Sabre1's avatar, and if you see the deep red in his fish, that would be the color I would like to see all the way through a red diamond. Although his is a pigeon base fish, the colors are incredible. Incredible enough to keep breeding until you may get a full body red.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Eddie
10-15-2012, 10:23 PM
You are wrong. That "Red Diamond" cross has been around for many years. I believe it was developed in the late 1990s. The red diamond discus is mentioned and photographed in the books Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng and also in Asia Discus by Johnny Yip.

The Red Diamond is a cross with a red spotted green and red turquoise, not a leopard(my mistake). They are still being sold. I think Sunrise Tropicals still sells them. They are nice looking fish too. I think sales of the red diamond slowed when the spotted snakeskins became available and got cheaper.

This is 100% accurate

Eddie
10-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Great information Keith.

I was always thinking if the red diamond would be solid red strain like the blue diamonds.

If you look at Sabre1's avatar, and if you see the deep red in his fish, that would be the color I would like to see all the way through a red diamond. Although his is a pigeon base fish, the colors are incredible. Incredible enough to keep breeding until you may get a full body red.

Thanks everyone for the information.

As Terps mentioned, the red diamond is not a solid strain. Its a turq variation/cross.

CliffsDiscus
10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
The original Red Diamond and Blue Diamond was name by Low Wing Yat, sold in the U.S. by Marc Weis back in the 90's.
Why Diamond, Low Wing Yat deal with precious stones.
Cliff

Eddie
10-15-2012, 10:39 PM
The original Red Diamond and Blue Diamond was name by Low Wing Yat, sold in the U.S. by Marc Weis back in the 90's.
Why Diamond, Low Wing Yat deal with precious stones.
Cliff

Nice! Great info Cliff.

cjr8420
10-16-2012, 04:04 AM

The Red Diamond is a cross with a red spotted green and red turquoise, not a leopard(my mistake). They are still being sold. I think Sunrise Tropicals still sells them. They are nice looking fish too. I think sales of the red diamond slowed when the spotted snakeskins became available and got cheaper.i am not wrong u just confirmed me being right by putting the name of the people who made someones bs name for there rsg X turq mutt even know about.cant sell as a bad pattern RSG cant sell as a bad pattern turq so they made up a new bs name and its the new fad $$$ just happened bk in the 90s.im sure there are pics in books of a wayne ng blue knight and i dont know what he crossed a colbalt with but its still just a wayne ng bred colbalt with a new name and bigger price tag.i bet if u posted those pics asking what kind of discus is this u wouldnt be getting red diamond as an answer.and if u did who ever that would post it would never know for sure from the pic.but most would tell u a rsg or rsg cross.if u post pics of a forest giant blue no one will tell u forest giant blue they will tell u turq,colbalt,scorp,blue SS,or cross of these cause these are the strains a forest giant blue is made up of forest giant blue is just a made up name for his blue mutt cross but it is just like red diamond is a made up name for the breeders version of a rsg.i like the breeders that just add their name to a strain without making up new names for them.a piwow turq ,stendker turq and wattley turq all look different they are still turqs not bs made up names like red striped saphires.they all could have changed the name to anything they wanted but in the ends they still would have been turqs just like ur red diamond pics is just a breeders version of a rsg that instead of adding their own name to ex.Low Wing Yat RSG they made up a brand new name but its still a rsg and thats my take on the name game it started way back then and thats why its so bad now

rdiscus
10-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Think the other name of Red Diamond is Blood Diamond

Here's Blood Diamond link http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95014-Blood-Diamond&highlight=red+diamond

Eddie
10-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Think the other name of Red Diamond is Blood Diamond

Here's Blood Diamond link http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95014-Blood-Diamond&highlight=red+diamond

No, totally different fish.

pcsb23
10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
i am not wrong u just confirmed me being right by putting the name of the people who made someones bs name for there rsg X turq mutt even know about.cant sell as a bad pattern RSG cant sell as a bad pattern turq so they made up a new bs name and its the new fad $$$ just happened bk in the 90s.im sure there are pics in books of a wayne ng blue knight and i dont know what he crossed a colbalt with but its still just a wayne ng bred colbalt with a new name and bigger price tag.i bet if u posted those pics asking what kind of discus is this u wouldnt be getting red diamond as an answer.and if u did who ever that would post it would never know for sure from the pic.but most would tell u a rsg or rsg cross.if u post pics of a forest giant blue no one will tell u forest giant blue they will tell u turq,colbalt,scorp,blue SS,or cross of these cause these are the strains a forest giant blue is made up of forest giant blue is just a made up name for his blue mutt cross but it is just like red diamond is a made up name for the breeders version of a rsg.i like the breeders that just add their name to a strain without making up new names for them.a piwow turq ,stendker turq and wattley turq all look different they are still turqs not bs made up names like red striped saphires.they all could have changed the name to anything they wanted but in the ends they still would have been turqs just like ur red diamond pics is just a breeders version of a rsg that instead of adding their own name to ex.Low Wing Yat RSG they made up a brand new name but its still a rsg and thats my take on the name game it started way back then and thats why its so bad nowInteresting. So, by your reasoning then all domestic discus should be classed as mutts? after all they are crosses from wild caught discus at some distant point in their past.

cjr8420
10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Interesting. So, by your reasoning then all domestic discus should be classed as mutts? after all they are crosses from wild caught discus at some distant point in their past.yes all are mutts but many have been line bred to become an actual strain as in 90% or more of the fry breed true to the parents.although discus genetics dont allow some varieties to ever acomplish this.i dont have a problem with the mutt part i have a problem with the made up name bs.to me a colbalt is a blue patterned discus that the pattern on the body will fade as it grows to adult and become mostly solid blue with pattern still on the fins and face.now i just described a wayne ng blue knight and 1 of the 2 9bar versions of a forrest giant blue which has 4 distinct versions posted earlier.why not a wayne ng colbalt. or a forrest colbalt.they all started as mutts just because someone added to the gene pool to come up with maybe a different shade of blue but still all the same traits doesnt warrant a whole new name just add the breeders name to the current strain as in their version.

Keith Perkins
10-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I think the singer formally known as Prince had some of the same thoughts as you Mike, but his ideas sure made it a drag for people to introduce him. :) I get part of what you're saying, but I seriously doubt it's ever going to change.

cjr8420
10-17-2012, 12:53 AM
I think the singer formally known as Prince had some of the same thoughts as you Mike, but his ideas sure made it a drag for people to introduce him. :) I get part of what you're saying, but I seriously doubt it's ever going to change.
i know i was bored just tryin to ruffle some feathers but i guess everyone is busy or just not in the mood lol

pcsb23
10-17-2012, 02:35 AM
yes all are mutts but many have been line bred to become an actual strain as in 90% or more of the fry breed true to the parents.although discus genetics dont allow some varieties to ever acomplish this.i dont have a problem with the mutt part i have a problem with the made up name bs.to me a colbalt is a blue patterned discus that the pattern on the body will fade as it grows to adult and become mostly solid blue with pattern still on the fins and face.now i just described a wayne ng blue knight and 1 of the 2 9bar versions of a forrest giant blue which has 4 distinct versions posted earlier.why not a wayne ng colbalt. or a forrest colbalt.they all started as mutts just because someone added to the gene pool to come up with maybe a different shade of blue but still all the same traits doesnt warrant a whole new name just add the breeders name to the current strain as in their version.Just so as you know ... the Red Diamond did in fact breed true, i.e. again using your definition 90% or more of the fry ended up looking similar to their parents - so I'm guessing that they were in fact a strain ;).... the name game will only get worse imo but it is what it is.