PDA

View Full Version : White feces/some discus not eating

matt56
10-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Just noticed an hour ago white feces attached to one of the discus. It quickly fell off and got some of it in a vial to take to the vet and get is scoped tomorrow. Some of the discus have not been eating anything lately and havnt really been showing signs of growth ie no color gain in 2 weeks since i first got them. When i collected some of the poop and put it in the vial, i noticed a free swimming worm, it was actually quite large like an inch, very thin and it was for sure swimming not just the movement of the vial. The other discus in the tank are eating and looking fine. Just these 3-4 that ive seen problems with.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Some are darker, not eating, white poop, not hiding 24/7 but the 4 are for sure never out in the open as much as the others, sometimes see them poiting downward.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

Tank is 55 gallons 2 weeks,9 3 inch discus.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% a day vacuuming after every feeding and refilling. the tank has been running 2 weeks, bb, yes i age. Will soon be doing 90% a day when i can get a larger water barrel.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __around 82__

- ph _8.3____

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading ___1-3ppm_

- well water ____

- municipal water: yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently: nope

Heres the poop in the tank.
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy260/mattster56/DSC01709_zps4fcc5c33.jpg
Sorry about all the crap in the tank, just fed them their beefheart and needed to get the pic before i vacuumed it all up.

Heres it in the vial
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy260/mattster56/DSC01710_zpsbc6c607f.jpg
Yes thats an api test vial lol. I have a bunch of extras since the white paint marks always fade on me fast.

Eddie
10-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Doesn't look like anything strange to me. There are only a few worms that are visible to the eye, such as tapeworms which are a long segmented worm and callamanus which are red.

matt56
10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Do you think it was white because some haven't really eaten in several days? Also do you think I should just do a deworming treatment for the whole tank? I know most people do it as a routine but I just don't like messing with meds.

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Matt what do you feed?

Eddie
10-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Do you think it was white because some haven't really eaten in several days? Also do you think I should just do a deworming treatment for the whole tank? I know most people do it as a routine but I just don't like messing with meds.

Its possible. Try bringing the heat up a bit and feeding foods they go crazy for. No need to worm.

matt56
10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I feed a beef heart mix, super beef heart flakes, omega one veggie flakes and freeze dried black worms from al. I'll bring the temp up to around 86 when I get my heater controllers from kens fish tomorrow.

Eddie
10-17-2012, 12:50 PM
I feed a beef heart mix, super beef heart flakes, omega one veggie flakes and freeze dried black worms from al. I'll bring the temp up to around 86 when I get my heater controllers from kens fish tomorrow.

Sounds like a plan, also make sure you have adequate air/circulation in the tank with elevated heat.

matt56
10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Yep 2 air stones from the sponges would be enough right?

Eddie
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Yep 2 air stones from the sponges would be enough right?

Should be good.