PDA

View Full Version : Beef Heart Mix - Need Opinion/Input

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm about to make my first beef heart/seafood mix using the following and needed to confirm a few things.

Ingredient

2 lb Beef Heart
fillet of Cod
fillet of Salmon
Spinach
6 piece of Garlic Clove (If more let me know)
6 jumble Shrimp
1 Tablespoon of Sera Discus granules
1 Tablespoon of Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flake Food
1 Tablespoon of Ocean Nutrition discus flakes
2 egg yolks (boil first or raw?)
1 Teaspoon of Pro-growth (Is this enough or do I need to put more?)
1 tablespoon of Pro-More (Is this enough or do I need to put more?)
Fish Oil (Which Brand is recommend and how many to put in?)
6 One-A-Day multi-vitamins (Not sure if I need this)

Let me know if I need to take anything out or I'm overdoing it. Like to get everyone's input/feedback before I start making it.

Thanks,

Poco
10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
The best mix I ever made.

http://archersdiscus.com/discus_food_8.html

You need to scroll down to see the recipe.

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
The best mix I ever made.

http://archersdiscus.com/discus_food_8.html

You need to scroll down to see the recipe.

Thank you... Good info in your link... I never though of using banana to help hold the mix together. Also they recommend not to use spinach and to use Red lettuce. This is the first I've heard of this. So any input on this part?

Poco
10-17-2012, 10:56 AM
No problem.

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 11:10 AM
No problem.

Did you use spinach or went with Red lettuce? If lettuce did you boil it like for spinach or just put it in the food processor to grind it up?

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm about to make my first beef heart/seafood mix using the following and needed to confirm a few things.

Ingredient

2 lb Beef Heart
fillet of Cod
fillet of Salmon
Spinach
6 piece of Garlic Clove (If more let me know)
6 jumble Shrimp
1 Tablespoon of Sera Discus granules
2 egg yolks (boil first or raw?)
1 Teaspoon of Pro-growth (Is this enough or do I need to put more?)
Fish Oil (Which Brand is recommend and how many to put in?)
6 One-A-Day multi-vitamins (Not sure if I need this)

Let me know if I need to take anything out or I'm overdoing it. Like to get everyone's input/feedback before I start making it.

Thanks,

Ok I would take the vitamins out or the pro more+growth its way to much vitamin just use one of your choices
Also i use bananas in my mix to hold things together, the clove of garlic i would just buy the ground or chopped ones.
I use spinach but you can also use calored greens. the egg yolk messes up the tank so x that. the flakes you are using are great but I would X the Sera and just feed that by itself at another feeding.

Poco
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Organic Red Lettuce, no need to boil it just run it through a chopper.

Just saw you are adding pro growth (2.5 grams per kilo of mix) then don't add multivitamins as in the recipe.

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Lettuce organic or not you still need to blanch it before adding in your mix

Poco
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Lettuce organic or not you still need to blanch it before adding in your mix

Just wondering what is the reason for blanching it?

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
one it makes it a little more palletable for the fish to eat otherwise you will find the lettuce bits floating in the tank. two I always blanch fresh veggies before putting it in my mixes to clean them up.......josie

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Ok I would take the vitamins out or the pro more+growth its way to much vitamin just use one of your choices
Also i use bananas in my mix to hold things together, the clove of garlic i would just buy the ground or chopped ones.
I use spinach but you can also use calored greens. the egg yolk messes up the tank so x that. the flakes you are using are great but I would X the Sera and just feed that by itself at another feeding.

Thanks Josie, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I will x out the egg, vitamins, and Sera, and just keep both pro more and pro-growth and everything else.

Organic Red Lettuce, no need to boil it just run it through a chopper.

Just saw you are adding pro growth (2.5 grams per kilo of mix) then don't add multivitamins as in the recipe.

Thanks I will try Spinach for my first mix since this is what Josie uses with her mix and her mix is what I've been feeding my discus with before I ran out.

Poco
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Enjoy! making it is an experience and cleaning up after is another :D

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Josie, not sure if you use fish oil in your mix but should I take it out or keep them in the mix?

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Josie, not sure if you use fish oil in your mix but should I take it out or keep them in the mix?

sorry for the late response I was feeding some fry LOL..the salmon usually has enogh fish oil to do the job so that should be good enough. and Poco is right making beef heart is a job LOL.....Josie

Im making 100 pounds to fill orders to be shipped this weekend...LOL....Josie

Poco
10-17-2012, 11:53 AM

WOW!! Is anyone helping you?

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 11:55 AM
WOW!! Is anyone helping you?

The mad Scientist always helps me...Josie

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
sorry for the late response I was feeding some fry LOL..the salmon usually has enogh fish oil to do the job so that should be good enough. and Poco is right making beef heart is a job LOL.....Josie

Thank you Josie, you are one of the hardest working individual I've ever known. Keeping a full time job and still manage to find time to do your business + this 100 pound order is insane... I don't think I've every seen or heard of anyone doing this big of an order to fill. I sure hope you got some help other then your aunt.

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you Josie, you are one of the hardest working individual I've ever known. Keeping a full time job and still manage to find time to do your business + this 100 pound order is insane... I don't think I've every seen or heard of anyone doing this big of an order to fill. I sure hope you got some help other then your aunt.

We have our handy meat grinder and just bought a vacume sealer so shold make it go pretty smooth.... I hope LOL.....Josie

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Almost forgot add some paprika to your mix...I was doing water changes and remembered what you missed LOL......josie

Eddie
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Ingredient

2 lb Beef Heart
fillet of Cod
fillet of Salmon
Spinach I prefer collard greens, better absorption.
6 piece of Garlic Clove (If more let me know) I use a clove per pound of food
6 jumble Shrimp I like the total mix to be at least 3 parts shrimp, better for binding
1 Tablespoon of Sera Discus granules I'd just use one type of processed food, whether it be granules or flakes and about 1 cup
2 egg yolks (boil first or raw?) Skip the egg, there is enough protein in the mix. Simple is better.
1 Teaspoon of Pro-growth (Is this enough or do I need to put more?) As Josie mentioned, use one type of vitamin
Fish Oil (Which Brand is recommend and how many to put in?) Not needed, you are getting plenty from the fish.
6 One-A-Day multi-vitamins (Not sure if I need this) Not needed

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Ingredient

2 lb Beef Heart
fillet of Cod
fillet of Salmon
6 jumble Shrimp I like the total mix to be at least 3 parts shrimp, better for binding
1 Tablespoon of Sera Discus granules I'd just use one type of processed food, whether it be granules or flakes and about 1 cup
2 egg yolks (boil first or raw?) Skip the egg, there is enough protein in the mix. Simple is better.
1 Teaspoon of Pro-growth (Is this enough or do I need to put more?) As Josie mentioned, use one type of vitamin
Fish Oil (Which Brand is recommend and how many to put in?) Not needed, you are getting plenty from the fish.

See great minds think alike LOL....Josie

TNT77
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
You have shrimp in the mix you shouldn't need anything else to bind it together. I only use shrimp and not very much of it in my mix and do not have any issues with my mix falling apart at all. Instead of going through tons of work chopping and boiling spinach or lettuce just use Gerber garden mix (peas, carrots, and spinach)..it is a baby food. All processed and palatable. Just dump and mix. I personally would not add both the pro more and pro growth in the same mix. Just divide the mix before adding those vitamins and add them separately. Also the amount added to the mix of pro growth versus pro more is different.

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Ingredient

2 lb Beef Heart
fillet of Cod
fillet of Salmon

Eddie, thank you for your input. Great feedback here. I hope those that read this will gain some knowledge from this as I did today.

You have shrimp in the mix you shouldn't need anything else to bind it together. I only use shrimp and not very much of it in my mix and do not have any issues with my mix falling apart at all. Instead of going through tons of work chopping and boiling spinach or lettuce just use Gerber garden mix (peas, carrots, and spinach)..it is a baby food. All processed and palatable. Just dump and mix. I personally would not add both the pro more and pro growth in the same mix. Just divide the mix before adding those vitamins and add them separately. Also the amount added to the mix of pro growth versus pro more is different.

Never thought about using baby food such as Gerber garden mix (peas, carrots, and spinach) for greens. Excellent idea and I might do this to make it easier on me. Anyway is the measurement for pro-growth and pro-more right. What's the issue with adding both to the same mix? Is my measurement right per mix?

Kal-El
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Almost forgot add some paprika to your mix...I was doing water changes and remembered what you missed LOL......josie
Paprika... Can that be purchase at a local Jewel or Grocery store?

Eddie
10-17-2012, 12:47 PM
What's the issue with adding both to the same mix? Is my measurement right per mix?

The issue is that Pro-More is geared toward health and growth and Pro-More is more of an aid to improve breeding health. Using them together just wouldn't give you much benefit. As mentioned, splitting the mix and adding PG to one half and PM to the other half would be the best route.

Moon
10-17-2012, 04:05 PM
The mad Scientist always helps me...Josie
It took me 3 hours to make 10lbs of BH mix. I wander how long it's going to make 100lbs

Eddie
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
It took me 3 hours to make 10lbs of BH mix. I wander how long it's going to make 100lbs

Dang Moon, you using a hand grinder? LOL

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM

It's not the preparing that takes so long it's the packing thats a pain in the butt......Josie

Dogvet06
10-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Well Josie I am so thankful you are doing it for me and my fish and I will love you for it! :)

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Well Josie I am so thankful you are doing it for me and my fish and I will love you for it! :)

The best way to feed the beef heart mix that I found is an old trick I learned from a member on the forum. Get a presto salad shooter on eBay for about twenty bucks brake off a few pieces from the frozen mix throw it in the shooter and what you get is little pieces of worm like food that my Discus go crazy for.......Josie

Dogvet06
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
is their a certain attachment needed or setting to make the worm pieces?

Chicago Discus
10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
is their a certain attachment needed or setting to make the worm pieces?

Just the normal grater that comes with the unit....josie

DiscusLoverJeff
10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
In theory, can this grating process be done ahead of time? Meaning after the mix is made and then frozen, can it be quickly grated and back to the freezer. I know it will form together once in the freezer but it should come apart once it is introduced to the warm water? Also, won't the blades get dull very quickly by adding a frozen product to the salad shooter which is normally used for softer items?

Eddie
10-18-2012, 03:44 PM
In theory, can this grating process be done ahead of time? Meaning after the mix is made and then frozen, can it be quickly grated and back to the freezer. I know it will form together once in the freezer but it should come apart once it is introduced to the warm water? Also, won't the blades get dull very quickly by adding a frozen product to the salad shooter which is normally used for softer items?

Yes, it can be.

Kal-El
10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
The best way to feed the beef heart mix that I found is an old trick I learned from a member on the forum. Get a presto salad shooter on eBay for about twenty bucks brake off a few pieces from the frozen mix throw it in the shooter and what you get is little pieces of worm like food that my Discus go crazy for.......Josie

Wow what a great idea. I will have to get this to make worm like pieces for my little guys... As always thanks for sharing this info Josie.

Chicago Discus
10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Wow what a great idea. I will have to get this to make worm like pieces for my little guys... As always thanks for sharing this info Josie.

I just hope it helps everyone :) :).......Josie

Altum Nut
10-18-2012, 07:20 PM

This thread gives you an idea for the grated worm like pieces.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?34961-Carol-s-beefheart-will-not-disolve-in-tank!

...Ralph

Chicago Discus
10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
This thread gives you an idea for the grated worm like pieces.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?34961-Carol-s-beefheart-will-not-disolve-in-tank!

...Ralph

Thanks Ralph I was trying to find that thread to show them that's where I got the idea from and it works great ......thanks

Kal-El
10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for your input... I made my mix at 5pm using the ingredients everyone recommended. Everything went well and wasn't as much work as I originally thought. Anyway, finally tested a frozen piece a few mins ago and they loved it.

Ingredient

2 lb Beef Heart
fillet of Salmon
Gerber Vegie baby food with Spinach, carrots, and green peas.
1 banana
2 piece of Garlic Clove
6 jumble Shrimp
1 cup of mix flakes (Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef & discus Flake Food)
1 Teaspoon of Pro-growth

Eddie
10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
That's great news.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Dogvet06
10-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Cant wait to get my Josie mix...and the salad shooter i got on ebay for less than 15$ including shipping! Hope it works lol