PDA

View Full Version : Black worms?

kreekree
10-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Ordered some black worms from kens and can't figure out how to feed them. They float. I tried holding them in the water some but they just stick up at top and float. Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated.

ZX10R
10-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Are they the freeze dried cubes or loose?

If cubes just stick them in the water and smush them against the glass they will stick.

If loose then some have presoaked them and gotten them to sink others just use a worm feeder.

Skip
10-17-2012, 12:13 PM
did you get loose or cubed?

cubed.. you stick on glass..

loose.. you can try to soak in cup of water for some time.. then add to tank.

the fish will learn to eat off the surface..

kreekree
10-17-2012, 12:44 PM
I got loose....once they start sinking they have eaten them but takes forever. I'll try soaking them now for tomorrows feeding. With only 2 discus in the tank...nobody is brave enough to come to the surface. I'm planning to make a visit to Michael Beals here soon and hopefully everyone will be happy once there are more in the tank. Warlock...did you get my PM?

Skip
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I got loose....once they start sinking they have eaten them but takes forever. I'll try soaking them now for tomorrows feeding. With only 2 discus in the tank...nobody is brave enough to come to the surface. I'm planning to make a visit to Michael Beals here soon and hopefully everyone will be happy once there are more in the tank. Warlock...did you get my PM?

no pm..

you get can a worm feeder.. and turn it upside down in tank.. that works to..
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Worm-Cone-Feeder-Live-Food-Brine-Shrimp-Discus-Fish-/05/!C!j5V9QCGk~$(KGrHqIOKpwEy+jC)0(CBNDiR9dMyw~~_35.J PG

DanCBW
10-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Both Cubes and Loose in an upside down Cone Feeder.

Dan
California Blackworm Co.

kreekree
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
GREAT..Thanks for your advice. Besides my water changes I was thinking great now I also have to remember to soak my damn worms everyday.... Will be purchasing a worm feeder ASAP :)

Dogvet06
10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
so thats how u guys are using the cone feeders! I bought 4 cone feeders so i could put my purepond balls in them but i didnt need that many. Now i have a good use for them! thanks!

a volar
11-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Both Cubes and Loose in an upside down Cone Feeder.

Dan
California Blackworm Co.

Dan, the ones that Kens fish sell are yours?

Discus-Hans
11-27-2012, 04:49 AM

I think everybody on this forum should buy their freeze dried black worms from http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?59-AquaticSuppliers-Freeze-Dried-Black-Worms-%28Al-Sabetta%29-Northford-Connecticut

Not only because he was the first to come with this product in the USA (the rest just copied this) buying from Al also sponsors this forum, what you all use and I think enjoy and learn from, I've personally tested his worms and I think they are the best around in quality and size for your Discus and at last (and not that important) he's a nice guy!!!!!!! I think if you feed your Discus freeze dried black worms and you don't get them from Al, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted and a prove this message,

Hans
Discus Hans USA

DanCBW
11-27-2012, 06:14 AM
: ) : )

Thank the good ole USA for the free enterprise system
(look at how much less $$ FD Blackworms are now) and Simply Forum members for encouraging us to start Freeze Drying our American Farmed Blackworms.
Forgotten ? That CBW has been a Sponsor here since 2002, yes 2002 and offering great prices and even deeper discounts for Simply Members such as the ones starting in the morning.

Dan
California Blackworm Co.

DanCBW
11-27-2012, 06:21 AM

Yes,
Ken offers our American Farmed FDCBW and will have our
new and upcoming varities of Frozen and Freeze Dried.

Dan

Discus-Hans
11-27-2012, 11:12 PM
: ) : )

Thank the good ole USA for the free enterprise system
(look at how much less $$ FD Blackworms are now) and Simply Forum members for encouraging us to start Freeze Drying our American Farmed Blackworms.
Forgotten ? That CBW has been a Sponsor here since 2002, yes 2002 and offering great prices and even deeper discounts for Simply Members such as the ones starting in the morning.

Dan
California Blackworm Co.

This has nothing to do with free enterprise, this is just trying to cut somebodies throat, copy him in everything he does, as a THANK YOU for letting you do the promotion of your food on this forum for 10 years.

That's how I see it.

Hans

DanCBW
11-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Hans,
Where have you been for the last 2 & 1/2 years? Followed at all?
Han's from what I've been told your a nice guy, a great Discus guy, and that's great but your diminishing it a little.
We've talked I think twice over the years, Frankly I enjoyed the conversations.
I say just keep posting and I'll post a thank you after a little aging. : )

Dan

LizStreithorst
12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Hansie, the man simply asked how best to feed his worms. What's up with your off topic posts? Are we not all allowed to buy from whom we choose, or are those of us who buy from Dan supposed to feel ashamed?

Chicago Discus
12-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Ordered some black worms from kens and can't figure out how to feed them. They float. I tried holding them in the water some but they just stick up at top and float. Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you get feeding cones turn them upside down and place a few in they will float and the discus will pick them out through the holes, it usually takes a few times for your discus to get it but when they do they start looking forward to it........Josie

Discus-Hans
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Hansie, the man simply asked how best to feed his worms. What's up with your off topic posts?

oooohhhh my, what happened to you?? became holy all the sudden????? lol lol lol

Are we not all allowed to buy from whom we choose, or are those of us who buy from Dan supposed to feel ashamed?

Oh yes you are and I don't say if you buy from Dan you should feel ashamed, but if you use this forum, learn from it, find help to maybe even save your Discus, or as some, just have some fun and try to stir the pot (lol), etc I would feel guilty NOT to buy my freeze dried blackworms from Al and support that way the forum that most are happy to use and.........IT'S FREE!!!!!!

Now if you want to buy all other stuff that Dan is selling, great, feel free, buy from a sponsor. I understood Dan is selling all his different kind of foods all over the world to the biggest customers, great for him. But my question is just, why to try in all possible way to kill a guys little business, that also supports this forum.

This world is so big, there are so many forums, customers, etc etc out there, why so despaired trying to get this little marked called "Simply" for just one type of food, a fraction of what Dan is selling all over the world????? Why does he care so much?????

And yes Dan, I had a close look on what's going on with those freeze dried blackworms, I wanted to get that dealer ship from Mal, but when I told Joanne, I'm going to call him. Al posted he got it and you know what???? I called Al and said: You smart a$$, congrats, I was just to slow this time.

From there this crazy war started.

Let me tell you something, I can get a product somebody makes a little (extra) living here on the forum and I can start selling it, so cheap, it would blow that person away.
I can make my prices so low on the Discus, Mike, Kenny, Kraig, etc etc couldn't make a dime on their Discus anymore, remember Simply is maybe only 5% of my business, so who cares....................

I DO!!!!!! Most of the other sponsors here are my friends, yes competition, but for most MY FRIENDS. And I don't have to buy my "friend" with free food.

Just my 2 cents,

Hans

BoiseDiscusGuy
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I think everybody on this forum should buy their freeze dried black worms from http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?59-AquaticSuppliers-Freeze-Dried-Black-Worms-%28Al-Sabetta%29-Northford-Connecticut

Not only because he was the first to come with this product in the USA (the rest just copied this) buying from Al also sponsors this forum, what you all use and I think enjoy and learn from, I've personally tested his worms and I think they are the best around in quality and size for your Discus and at last (and not that important) he's a nice guy!!!!!!! I think if you feed your Discus freeze dried black worms and you don't get them from Al, SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted and a prove this message,

Hans
Discus Hans USA
I personally have been feeding FDBW from Dan for quite a while and not only do the fish love them, I feel Dan does alot for Simply members and this hobby. I do appreciate all that Al does keeping this forum going for all of us to enjoy and learn from, but by your logic, are we supposed to feel ashamed if we dont buy our Discus from any one supplier in particular?

Discus-Hans
12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I personally have been feeding FDBW from Dan for quite a while and not only do the fish love them, I feel Dan does alot for Simply members and this hobby. I do appreciate all that Al does keeping this forum going for all of us to enjoy and learn from, but by your logic, are we supposed to feel ashamed if we dont buy our Discus from any one supplier in particular?

Chris, it's not only: "the good ole USA for the free enterprise system", everybody is also free to his own opinion.

And I gave mine.

Can you give me a sample of: "I feel Dan does alot for Simply members and this hobby" strange but nothing comes to my mind at the moment.

Hans

BoiseDiscusGuy
12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Chris, it's not only: "the good ole USA for the free enterprise system", everybody is also free to his own opinion.

And I gave mine.

Can you give me a sample of: "I feel Dan does alot for Simply members and this hobby" strange but nothing comes to my mind at the moment.

Hans
Be it California or Austrailian blackworms, they are not cheap. To the potential customer that has never tried them, it can be a costly venture not knowing if their fish will even like them. Dan has offered free samples many, many times. Free new products to test only asking for user feedback in return. Offering member discounts for this and other forums just to name a few...Al, if you see this, my hat off to you sir! I appreciate all you do more than you know, but I dont recall ever seeing any of these offers on Austrailian blackworms...I will leave it at that

LizStreithorst
12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh my, what has happened to you, Hans? I've never seen you go off the deep end before. Are you OK?

oooohhhh my, what happened to you?? became holy all the sudden????? lol lol lol

Oh yes you are and I don't say if you buy from Dan you should feel ashamed, but if you use this forum, learn from it, find help to maybe even save your Discus, or as some, just have some fun and try to stir the pot (lol), etc I would feel guilty NOT to buy my freeze dried blackworms from Al and support that way the forum that most are happy to use and.........IT'S FREE!!!!!!

Now if you want to buy all other stuff that Dan is selling, great, feel free, buy from a sponsor. I understood Dan is selling all his different kind of foods all over the world to the biggest customers, great for him. But my question is just, why to try in all possible way to kill a guys little business, that also supports this forum.

This world is so big, there are so many forums, customers, etc etc out there, why so despaired trying to get this little marked called "Simply" for just one type of food, a fraction of what Dan is selling all over the world????? Why does he care so much?????

And yes Dan, I had a close look on what's going on with those freeze dried blackworms, I wanted to get that dealer ship from Mal, but when I told Joanne, I'm going to call him. Al posted he got it and you know what???? I called Al and said: You smart a$$, congrats, I was just to slow this time.

From there this crazy war started.

Let me tell you something, I can get a product somebody makes a little (extra) living here on the forum and I can start selling it, so cheap, it would blow that person away.
I can make my prices so low on the Discus, Mike, Kenny, Kraig, etc etc couldn't make a dime on their Discus anymore, remember Simply is maybe only 5% of my business, so who cares....................

I DO!!!!!! Most of the other sponsors here are my friends, yes competition, but for most MY FRIENDS. And I don't have to buy my "friend" with free food.

Just my 2 cents,

Hans

Skip
12-02-2012, 09:41 PM
let the consumer decide

MGKelly
12-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Money! the root of all evil! ;)

Donno
12-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow. It seems we have a war going on in the FDBW business.

Discus-Hans
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Oh my, what has happened to you, Hans? I've never seen you go off the deep end before. Are you OK?

I'm fine, only if I see "wrong" things going on, I like to say my part, as you would.

Be it California or Austrailian blackworms, they are not cheap. To the potential customer that has never tried them, it can be a costly venture not knowing if their fish will even like them. Dan has offered free samples many, many times. Free new products to test only asking for user feedback in return. Offering member discounts for this and other forums just to name a few...Al, if you see this, my hat off to you sir! I appreciate all you do more than you know, but I dont recall ever seeing any of these offers on Austrailian blackworms...I will leave it at that

As far as I know Al was one of the first to send out free samples.

My shipments of Discus to new customers get all (if I've enough of them because Al can't always keep up with me lol) a FREE sample of the Austalien freeze dried black worms, I think Kenny and the New Jersey Discus do that too (correct me if I'm wrong)

Does Dan do it with all his food or only the freeze dried blackworms?????

Hans

DanCBW
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
You brought my name up.
Seriously,
Why are you so concerned about what me, my Daughters and their Husbands do as a business?
I'm flattered but get your facts straight if your going to discuss me or my business, OK.

We've been here since 2002. Take a look at the Years on a few of the other first Members, 2002.
In fact we were one of the first who were asked if we would like to be a part of "this new Forum we're starting"
I said sure thing, and since then we have offered great products at good prices and even
better prices for Simply Members and this started when there were three of us "Sponsors" and 150 Members here.
Being a Sponsor in any Forum also means paying to help Fund that Forum.
Heck my Screen name was given to me by the Founder.

I continue to do so with great thanks to our Members/Customers here as they have been part of "Our" Family Business growth. I will say thank you to all the Simply Members who emailed and PM ed suggesting and trying to convince me to start offering my California Blackworms in Freeze Dried and even Frozen Form.

"Crazy war" this doesn't even warrant a reply.

What you do have here now are two GOOD products offered by two GOOD suppliers and because of this Hobbyist through out the USA have a chance to try and use them at more affordable prices.
Nothing was ever said a couple of years when AU Blackworms arrived.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91057-California-Blackworms-vs.-Australian-Blackworms
This was started when we started processing FDCBW. Take a look at it.
Yet you choose to amp up something that is not there.

I hope you give out 1000's of Samples, I really do.
Hans, as I said before.
Thank you :)

Dan

tonytheboss1
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
WOW!!!! This is very irregular! I do see Hans point. Buying the worms from Al helps him run the forum that WE ALL benifit from. Dans many products, although discounted to members, are self serving at best. Why compete with the one product that supports the forum?? Yea, yea free enterprise, supply & demand yadda yadda but at the end of the day one guys profits go to the forum & the other guys profits go elsewhere. Personally my choice is made. If not for this forum my continued success with this amazing hobby would be questionable. I don't have the history that some here have but my short stint has been fantastic. The way I see it my support purchase helps the next desperate hobbyist have a place to turn to for help.
As to the OP, KreeKree I use the free freeze dried worms also & although it takes a minute for them to enter the water column, mine have learned to come & disturb the surface to help the process. The cone is good. I usually use it for live worms though. "T"

jimg
12-03-2012, 07:06 AM
All I can say is unbelievable..... like a bunch of children. isn't this the same as whining about kraig ,josie, mike beals, etc (just examples of names selling their fish) on here and competing with hans,kenny etc? SAME THING!! that's free enterprise, if someone can't handle that then other issues are at work. I buy fdbw from Dan he does support the forum the same as any other sponsor. Al is my friend but I buy my worms from Dan because my fish go for them much better, simply the same as some liking coke,some liking pepsi.I also never had any problems with them.To say that the forum would not be here free for us if we buy Dans worms is total bs every bit from everyone helps this forum as far as I know anyway.
time to act like adults. how about sending paypal from our own accounts to help instead of constantly picking on a sponsor who does pay more per year than most people who ***** on here will ever pay.
I would like to add too that I know of a LOT of people on here use Dans worms with no problems. The ones who do say they have problems I'd like to see proof. unless you have it ...remain silent,kissing one persons *** will get no one anything.

brewmaster15
12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi all,
I've Locked this thread and will make a closing post in it now... I've read this thread and have alot of opinions and thoughts on it...some I will share and some I will keep to myself..

Every member here is free to buy from any sponsor here. As in all things, you need to make a decision as to what you value. Some people buy on price, some buy on quality, some factor in things less tangible, like a businesses social standing or who benfits from the business. Ultimately the choice is yours to figure out. You decide whats important to you and you go with it from there. If someone choose Dans' freeze dried Blackworms over my Australian Freeze Dried Blackworms , thats their choice as far as I am concerned..Period. As a seller and content provider here, I obviously want you to buy my products and Dan wants you to buy his.

Dan has a family to support and a large business to Run and has been for years... as you know from his posts in this thread. I have small business to run, consist of me with my wife and 2 young kids helping outas they can....and I have this forum to operate. Its Not a stretch to say your purchases of Blackworms from Dan helps him and his, nor is a stretch by any means to say that when you buy from me, you help my business and my family. Lastly it is not a stretch of reasoning to say your purchases from me benefit the forum...its a fact....as my Business owns both this forum and Aquaticsuppliers.com.

I understand why Hans has posted as he has, and I understand why Dan has as well. I also get why members have supported one over the other.. I am also very well aware of the political currents and motivations of some individuals..However, I have tried to stay the high road here and I do not like sponsors to get into public wars...So though Dan and I are competitors, We will not go that route.

I will close by saying this. If you buy from Dan , you are supporting the Forum in a manner as he is a Sponsor, and he pays a yearly fee for the right to sell here as do all sponsors. If you buy from me, you are also supporting the forum as I am both a Sponsor here(actually the original and primary sponsor:) ), and the owner of this forum....You chose based on what you value when you make your decisions and considered all thats important to you. Thats your role as a consumer.

As for me... I will continue to do as I have done for the last 10 years as owner of this forum, and the last 3 years as a seller of Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms.

Regards all,
Al