PDA

View Full Version : Color of Gravel

mr limpet
10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Does the color of gravel have any effect on the color a Discus fish shows.I have 10 three and a half inch Red Turquoise in my 90 gallon display tank with a thin layer of black gravel in it.Also one other thing,I just recieved some pre filters from Kens and they fit fine on my 2 A/C 110s.But I also have a Fluval FX5 on the same tank and the pre filter they gave me for that strainer is just too huge to use in a display tank. I put a sponge from a A/C 110 on the strainer,will that work for me?

DiscusLoverJeff
10-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Color sometimes matters if Pigeon Blood based discus. The darker the color the more "peppering" they become. Light also plays a part in color as different lights give off a different hue.

Eddie
10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
The ground cover/substrate plays a huge role in the color of your fish, regardless of pigeon and non pigeon strains! Red Turquoise will turn very dark over the black ground. About the only type that a black substrate won't affect is albino strains/types.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Good to know about the turqs. My Flora's have not changed in color when I went from black to the white sand.

Eddie
10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Good to know about the turqs. My Flora's have not changed in color when I went from black to the white sand.

Do you have before and after pictures? Picture of them in the black and picture of them in the white.

mr limpet
10-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info.Will change color to natural
.Any comments on my pre filter question?

Eddie
10-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info.Will change color to natural
.Any comments on my pre filter question?

About the sponge on the end of the AC 110?

mr limpet
10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
About the sponge I put on my strainer on my fluval fx5.It is sponge that goes in a AC110.

Eddie
10-17-2012, 08:27 PM
About the sponge I put on my strainer on my fluval fx5.It is sponge that goes in a AC110.

Should be fine. Maybe a bit too porous.

Teshi
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
haha Love the name... Mr. Limpet. Havent thought of that movie in years!

mr limpet
10-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Yes,I get all kinds of remarks on the name.lol.I guess I am showing my age too.But it was a good movie(The Incredible Mr Limpet)

Eddie
10-18-2012, 04:12 PM
haha Love the name... Mr. Limpet. Havent thought of that movie in years!

One of my favorites!

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes,I get all kinds of remarks on the name.lol.I guess I am showing my age too.But it was a good movie(The Incredible Mr Limpet)

Great movie :D

shoveltrash
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Don Knotts, right? :D
loved that movie.....

how coarse is your gravel? just curious - I started out with coarse (large size) gravel & found that food (& debris) fell in nooks & crannies, which the fish were unable to eat (my Discus are big bottom grazers LOL).

mr limpet
10-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes Don Knotts.My gravel is maybe 1/8 of an inch in diameter.It's just a coating,just enough to cover the bottom.I do have natural color gravel that I want to use instead of the black.Can I remove the black all at once and put in the natural.Also I dont know if it will stress my fish out or not.I just got them last week.

Eddie
10-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes Don Knotts.My gravel is maybe 1/8 of an inch in diameter.It's just a coating,just enough to cover the bottom.I do have natural color gravel that I want to use instead of the black.Can I remove the black all at once and put in the natural.Also I dont know if it will stress my fish out or not.I just got them last week.

If its been in the tank a while, I would recommend moving ALL the fish out then removing it and doing a large water change before you add the fish back.

mr limpet
10-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes that black gravel has been in that tank a couple of years.Do you think I will lose any of my bio.I do have Fluval FX5 thats loaded with bio media so that should help.Was actually thinking of going bare bottom.(the breeder I got them from had them in a bb tank)

mr limpet
10-18-2012, 11:03 PM
I also change my water 2 times a week.50% each time.Like I said,I was thinking about going bb, but like they way a gravel bottom looks.

Eddie
10-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes that black gravel has been in that tank a couple of years.Do you think I will lose any of my bio.I do have Fluval FX5 thats loaded with bio media so that should help.Was actually thinking of going bare bottom.(the breeder I got them from had them in a bb tank)

You might get a mini cycle but if you keep up with water changes, it'll be fine. Just watch ammonia/nitrite. Definitely take the fish out when you remove the gravel and change all of the water before adding the fish back.

mr limpet
10-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Ok,thanks.Just don't want to stress the fish.But I guess they will be ok.

mr limpet
10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Then again,any time you net a fish I guess they get stressed.I now know that gravel color can change the color of a fish.What about the back round color that's used?Does the same apply here,darker the back round the darker the fish?

schoolaintsobad
10-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know if the peppering in the pigeon blood will go away if you switch the substrate from dark to light? Or, have I permanently peppered my discus?

Teshi
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
I think it depends on how bad it is. I switch my black background to green and the peppering in the tall and fins have lightened considerably but there is still black.

richardnuss
10-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Did this same excercise last week - went from black (Lava Stone) to light (silicate) - the difference is amazing! If you like your Turqs dark and moody, keep them on a dark substrate. On light they are all much more vibrant, the PB's have less peppering too (as stated above).

mr limpet
10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
You guys were right.Just changed from black to a natural color.What a differance.Thanks to everyone.

Eddie
10-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Told ya! ;)

Still waiting for Jeff to post pics of how his floras never changed. LOL I gotta see it to believe it!