PDA

View Full Version : Oakton PCSTestr 35 Meter

DiscusLoverJeff
10-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Hello friends,

Has anyone used the Oakton PCSTestr 35 meter?

http://www.amazon.com/Oakton-Waterproof-Multiparameter-Conductivity-Temperature/dp/B004G8PWBO/ref=sr_1_5?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1350499781&sr=1-5&keywords=oakton+ph+meter

I have been using the Hanna Instruments HI 98129 Waterproof pH/Conductivity/TDS Tester and now after 2 ph probes, it takes over 2 to 3 minutes to get an accurate ph reading. I have sent the probe back twice and same issues. Had this meter for 2 years and the last I have had issues.

the meter has never been dropped or gotten wet (waterproof) beyond the testing range. So maybe I need to invest in a different piece of equipment.

jimg
10-17-2012, 06:52 PM
They all take a long time to get good reading. I had the hanna HI 9126 and still did the same, sent it back and got new probes, same thing. I got another mw102 and does the same thing. I don't bother much with ph meters I use ec. I do use ph on the heckles but what I do is not put it in the tank but rather take a small jar and fill with sample water outside the tank (the way all ph should be tested anyway) and let it sit for 3-5 mins. Every meter reads different too,so whatever they read I just keep it the same.
I am one for exact measurements and I went nuts a few years ago trying every meter I could to get the "right" reading and found their all off! I did settle on the milwaukee though. I think any meter around the $120.00 range is fine for us. cheaper is all garbage more $ did no better.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
That is the same thing I do Jim with small amounts of water in small jars that I clean out in ro water when done. It is just the reading takes forever. I only worry about ph when I am adding tap to the ro water for the juvies. I try to do the same routine and add the same amount of tap, but hey, we can't get it right everytime.

I might get this one and see what happens. Can't hurt I guess? Lol

jimg
10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
can't hurt especially if yours is 2 years old. Try doing water changes based on ec or tds. the ph will always be the same so long as tds readings are the same. I mix tap with ro in one tank and ro reconstituted in another. I have been relying on ec completely,except using ph because I am experimenting with muriatic acid again and need the ph meter. let me know if you like it if you get the meter

ozone
10-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I have an oakton ph testr1 and got a new electrode for it about 2 months back. It needs calibrated all the time but the result takes about ten seconds and the calibration only lasts about 2 hours and then it needs reset. To be honest i'm dissapointed it needs calibrated so often.That's only for ph though as for tds and ec I don't know. All in all they all get complained about and I would hesitate to recomend you getting one. I'm thinking about getting a new ph tester down the track.If anyone knows of the best one, if there is one I too would like to hear of it :)