PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank set up suitable for a Discus starter tank?

Brewski
10-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi, I have already posted a message asking for clarification on tank size. I just wanted to know if the 50 gallon tank suggested as " a good size" for 6 Discus was measured in U.S or Imperial gallons. My guess (considering this is a .com website) is for U.S. I'm in England so I can't take anything for granted. Anyway....

I have a 50 U.S Gallon tank, with an external Hydor, thermal, inline heater and an external filter with a flow of 370 Gallons an hour. The external filter also has a uv sterilising light which I don't usually use.

My idea would be to find homes for all of my current community aquarium fish and turn off my heater and filter. Remove all my gravel and decorations. Remove and then clean my filter sponges in the tank and then put them back inside the filter. Syphon all the water out of the tank and replace with new, de-chlorinated tap water. Adjust the temperature on my heater to suit and turn the heater and filter back on. I will also have to remove my background and either replace with a plain blue background or, more probably, paint matt black.

I realise that removing my gravel and decorations will also remove quite a bit of good bacteria, but my tank is pretty much full of fish at the moment (with around 60 Kribensis fry) and I will be buying young Discus so I'm expecting the bacteria in my filter will be sufficient. I will also continue adding food while my tank is empty to feed the bacteria.

Please let me know what you think. I'm sure there will be plenty I haven't thought of or accounted for.

Thanks

Brewski

Donno
10-20-2012, 11:55 AM
If I were you I wouldn't worry about the beneficial bacteria as much as I would some sort of bug left behind from your existing fish. That being said I would completely clean the tank and filters and start over with a new cycle.

I have a very similar setup as yours for my 7 Discus that were about 3" when I got them, but this was only intended to be temporary until they grew larger. I don't think 50 gallons is large enough once they get to 5" and I'm currently working on a 120 gallon display tank that will be their permanent home.

There is a lot to read here about raising Discus so you've come to the right place.

discuspaul
10-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Agree with Donno's comments which are appropriate.
Re-start from scratch to be fully on the safe side.

Brewski
10-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I had read on the main website about setting up a tank and using bleach or rubbing alcohol to disinfect. I assumed that was for brand new tank set ups. Thanks for putting me right. I am very impressed with the website, it's obviously been running a while and from my experience it is administrators and regular posts from experienced members that really make a site like this work.

Thanks again.

brewski.

Kingdom Come Discus
10-20-2012, 03:46 PM
This is a fantastic product for cleaning tanks. Better and safer than bleach. I think it is availble in the UK.
http://www.wchemical.com/VIRKON-AQUATIC-P44C10.aspx

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Brewski, there is a great website located in the UK and it is called BIDKA, British and International Discus Keepers Association http://forum.bidka.org/ I suggest you join BIDKA also as it can address issues related to living in the UK such as the use of HMA filters. Many members are registered at both sites including myself.

Welcome to SD,
Pat

Brewski
10-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks again. I will check that out Pat. To be honest you lost me at HMA filters. I've been reading a lot about sponge filters and pre filters and internal filters. Is it right that you can clean pre filter sponges (attached to the external filters in tube) in tap water? I would have thought there was a chance of chlorinated water and/or chlorine getting into the external filter and killing some good bacteria?

Anyway, thanks again.

brewski

Kingdom Come Discus
10-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks again. I will check that out Pat. To be honest you lost me at HMA filters. I've been reading a lot about sponge filters and pre filters and internal filters. Is it right that you can clean pre filter sponges (attached to the external filters in tube) in tap water? I would have thought there was a chance of chlorinated water and/or chlorine getting into the external filter and killing some good bacteria?

Anyway, thanks again.

brewski

Your right the about the tap water. I use tank water or aged water ready for the water changes.

Second Hand Pat
10-20-2012, 07:35 PM
brewski, I do not know alot about HMA (Heavy Metal Axe) filters other then I believe they are used in part for removing heavy metals from the tap water. Such a filter would be used to filter all the water prior to use in the WC barrows and/or tank. Perhaps one of the UK members can provide more info and use of HMA filters.
Pat