PDA

View Full Version : Best place in a house for a discus tank?

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone. So im going to be upgrading my 75 gallon discus tank to a 110 gallon discus tank and i was just wondering, what part of the house is best for a discus tank? In the basement where its quite and not as many people go down there exsept for partys/ gatherings or up stairs where people are walking by the tank all the time everyday where it can be a little louder? I have it up stairs currently because i thought it would get the discus use to the sounds and they would not be skidish (which it has worked, but if i put the tank in my basement i want to make sure they are just as good with people and dont hide. So if you guys could let me know what you guys think or experianced that would be great :)

BobDaniel
10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I would consider the effects of water in an overflowing tank and put that big boy in the basement. Also the tank setup will weigh nealy 1000 lbs full. I would feel much better with it in the basement. Are you going to keep the 75?

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 02:38 PM
I would consider the effects of water in an overflowing tank and put that big boy in the basement. Also the tank setup will weigh nealy 1000 lbs full. I would feel much better with it in the basement. Are you going to keep the 75?
Ya i am thinking that putting the tank in the basement because how much weight it has. But would the discus still be good with people even thought not as many people will go by the tank?

Bill63SG
10-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I've got my 180 upstairs in the family room.Plenty of traffic.Just make sure its on a supporting wall and lays across the floor joists,not with them.

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I've got my 180 upstairs in the family room.Plenty of traffic.Just make sure its on a supporting wall and lays across the floor joists,not with them.
Ok cool. it just did the math of its size and weight and it will have to go in the basement. But will that make the fish skiddish? I will try and go down there allot more so it wont be like they wont ever see anyone. But does the # of discus make them better with people? Or is that only with african cichlids? lol Thanks for the help

senior el roboto
10-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm sure they will be more skiddish in the basement with no foot traffic walking by. Just my 2cents but I could be wrong.

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 04:17 PM

I'm sure they will be more skiddish in the basement with no foot traffic walking by. Just my 2cents but I could be wrong.

Do you guys know if there is a good amount a discus in there (without over crowding) will they feel more comfortable because there is a bigger school? Please help me out. Thanks :)

Trier20
10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Do you guys know if there is a good amount a discus in there (without over crowding) will they feel more comfortable because there is a bigger school? Please help me out. Thanks :)

I would imagine so. I have mine in my basement. They are a little skittish when you first get down there but ease up after a few minutes. I usually spend a total of 2-3 hrs down there a day

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I would imagine so. I have mine in my basement. They are a little skittish when you first get down there but ease up after a few minutes. I usually spend a total of 2-3 hrs down there a day
Ok cool thanks :)

migdem
10-20-2012, 06:01 PM
In a quite room maybe?

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 06:01 PM
In a quite room maybe?
What about a quite room? Would make them skiddish or not skiddish?

joanstone
10-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Another consideration would be to put in where maintenance is easier. A fish room in the basement is a wonderful thing.

Chicago Discus
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
closest to a sink...LOL...Josie

discusmatt20
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Another consideration would be to put in where maintenance is easier. A fish room in the basement is a wonderful thing.
Ya i thought so to. Plus i dont have to worry about the weight of the tank. Im just worried they will become skiddish. They are soo good with people now and i love it because people can see them and they think its cool how they come out to people but i dont want that to change if i move them to the basement :confused:

Dogvet06
10-21-2012, 12:36 AM
closest to a sink...LOL...Josie
+1 lol

DiscusDrew
10-21-2012, 02:54 AM
If the fish are healthy and from a good source, the presence of people should not be an issue. Personally I prefer being able to keep people out when I need them to be so the fish room is my preference. But Im also solely focused and breeding and raising babies, not asthetics, in which case occassional people is fine but I need them to have times where they have no distraction as well. So my significant other goes in occassionally, I go in constantly haha, and when people are over I allow them in. With the quality of the stock (almost entirely Stendker) nobody ever hides or gets skiddish really. In fact even some of my parents with babies LOVE attention from people, they'll come over to the glass with the kids and show off a little.

My point, its about the fish, I have ONE tank left with fish from another sponsor here, who I will not name. They will run and hide in the corner EVERY time someone comes in, including me who is in there and doing the exact same things every day.... and they are my oldest fish.... If your fish are already accustomed to people I would doubt there would be a problem. Just establish a routine with going into the fish room, allow people down there, dont let them get to used to being alone.

Eddie
10-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Put it somewhere where it will be easy to do maintenance/tank draining and filling.

krislewis3
10-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I have to disagree with the majority......first, ask yourself why you have a discus tank.... That answer will tell you where to put it!! If your breeding, and selling..put it in the basement!!! If the answer is that you want to enjoy the beauty of the fish, and the peacefulness of the aquarium sounds, looks, etc., put it in the family room!!! But that's just me!!!!!

discusmatt20
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
If the fish are healthy and from a good source, the presence of people should not be an issue. Personally I prefer being able to keep people out when I need them to be so the fish room is my preference. But Im also solely focused and breeding and raising babies, not asthetics, in which case occassional people is fine but I need them to have times where they have no distraction as well. So my significant other goes in occassionally, I go in constantly haha, and when people are over I allow them in. With the quality of the stock (almost entirely Stendker) nobody ever hides or gets skiddish really. In fact even some of my parents with babies LOVE attention from people, they'll come over to the glass with the kids and show off a little.

My point, its about the fish, I have ONE tank left with fish from another sponsor here, who I will not name. They will run and hide in the corner EVERY time someone comes in, including me who is in there and doing the exact same things every day.... and they are my oldest fish.... If your fish are already accustomed to people I would doubt there would be a problem. Just establish a routine with going into the fish room, allow people down there, dont let them get to used to being alone.

Ive gotten most of my discus from kenny. They seem to be very good with people. Do you have any of kennys discus?

angmat
10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I have to disagree with the majority......first, ask yourself why you have a discus tank.... That answer will tell you where to put it!! If your breeding, and selling..put it in the basement!!! If the answer is that you want to enjoy the beauty of the fish, and the peacefulness of the aquarium sounds, looks, etc., put it in the family room!!! But that's just me!!!!!

+1

I've always had my discus tanks in the family or dinning room, lots of traffic and my 4 year old always running around the tank, never had issues with this. As stated above, it depends what you are aiming to do with your discus tank.

DiscusDrew
10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I do not really buy from Kenny, but trust me its not because he lacks quality obviously. I tend to lean towards German/European fish. If I were buying Asians he would have my business.

discusmatt20
10-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I do not really buy from Kenny, but trust me its not because he lacks quality obviously. I tend to lean towards German/European fish. If I were buying Asians he would have my business.
Oh ok. Ya his discus are great

pastry
10-21-2012, 07:56 PM
+2 on krislewis' post. not only is my tank (150) in the family room, but also pretty close to the front door. have a one year old that smacks the aquarium once or twice a day too but doesn't phase the fish. in fact, when he comes close they go to him! when someone comes through the front door they go to that side of tank... guess after awhile they just get used to it. i like being able to watch tv and then turn and look at the aquarium whenever.

discusmatt20
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
+2 on krislewis' post. not only is my tank (150) in the family room, but also pretty close to the front door. have a one year old that smacks the aquarium once or twice a day too but doesn't phase the fish. in fact, when he comes close they go to him! when someone comes through the front door they go to that side of tank... guess after awhile they just get used to it. i like being able to watch tv and then turn and look at the aquarium whenever.

Haha thats cool

shoveltrash
10-22-2012, 05:30 AM
I have to disagree with the majority......first, ask yourself why you have a discus tank.... That answer will tell you where to put it!! If your breeding, and selling..put it in the basement!!! If the answer is that you want to enjoy the beauty of the fish, and the peacefulness of the aquarium sounds, looks, etc., put it in the family room!!! But that's just me!!!!!another +1
my tanks are in the family room/living room :).

kreekree
10-22-2012, 06:53 AM
With them being in the family room/living room have you encountered any problems with algae do to increased lighting? I have always maintained a tank in a darker room with the blinds closed. The one tank I had in my son's room always seemed to grow algae and it was exposed to more light.

shoveltrash
10-22-2012, 07:54 AM
light does affect algae growth imho. I dark tinted the windows by both my tanks, and clean the glass regularly. not a problem for me.

kreekree
10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Great. Thanks! Our windows are tinted too in the family room. Forgot about that.

pastry
10-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Mine is somehow positioned so that it doesn't get direct sunlight. I do have algae on the wood and what not but it's not due to direct sunlight (and I sort of let it grow... kind of like the look). No algae on my glass really.

discusmatt20
10-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Posted a new thread guys, check it out instead of this one :)