PDA

View Full Version : Would like input on cycling my new 55 gallon

bonginator
10-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I have set up a new 55 gallon discus tank and have a few options for cycling it.

About 10 days ago, I put a sponge filter into my 40 gallon tank along with the oversized sponge filter that has been in the tank for 4 mos. I wanted to seed that new sponge filter in advance of this tank arriving.

My options for cycling the new 55:

1. Move One of he sponge filters over from my 40 gallon tank along with aged heated water.

2. Do a fish less cycle.

3. Do a tetras start cycle with a new larger sponge filter.

Which of these do you think will be the quickest cycle?

Thanks everyone...

Kingdom Come Discus
10-20-2012, 03:25 PM
I think placing the new sponge in your existing tank will seed the new filter just fine. It wouldn't hurt to add pure pond or pure aquarium balls to the existing tank while the filter is being seeded. I would leave it in the exsiting tank for at least two weeks. After this is should be ready to be dropped in your new tank. The only thing which would make me nervous about this method would be anything bad in your existing tank could be transfered to the new tank via the sponge filter.

I also think you could cycle a tank with the pure pond/aquarium media, while adding some type of organic material to the tank each day. Maybe someone here has a idea on what would be the best way to do this?

Here is the link to the Pure Pond/Aquarium http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96202-PURE-AQUARIUM-bacteria-is-here.

bonginator
10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Kraig. I have been pretty diligent on the existing tank and not introducing anything new to it. It is the tank that has my current Piwows from you in it! I think I will throw in another sponge filter this week so I have 2 seeding. Perhaps if I couple this with Pure Pond/Safe Start, it will be a very quick cycle. I have other canister filters I could move onto the tank but I am less sure about the inhabitants of those tanks and what they might carry so don't want to do that.

I will check out the pure pond link.

Sandy

Kingdom Come Discus
10-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Keep us updated please.

bonginator
10-20-2012, 05:01 PM
OK. No rush in getting fish any fish into it so I will test params til it is ready. Just hoping to speed the process along. I am leaving on a trip anyway so can get the additional sponge seeding while I am gone.