PDA

View Full Version : KH and GH does this affect discus laying eggs or affect the fish somehow?

Dlprice45
10-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if the KH and GH will affect my discus fish? I have had hardness in my water before and even have raised had pairs layed eggs and raise fry, but now I moved to a house that the levels are even higher. The pH is fine at 7.0 - 7.2 but the GH is up to 180 and KH 180-240. So I know that discus like softer water. the fish are doing fine but I hope to have pairs again and will this be a problem? I could maybe collect rain water outside and try to bring it down that way. Does anyone have a suggestion?

jeff_eruption
10-21-2012, 09:16 PM
some people likes aged water...that means put tap water in contaniner and use air bubbles...i like half ro water and half tap water ...if your tds is 200 -225 ppm.Hope this helps..tds means total dissolved solids in tap water..Hope this helps

Dlprice45
10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Well I dont think the aged water with air bubbles are the answer. I will try some ro with tap and see how that goes. So is ro the collected water outside from rainfalls? I have had 3 fish die in the last yr with no sx. They just stop eating and hide. The water quality is good except for the hardness so not sure if that could somehow cause it. I do 50% changes every other day in my 90 gallon plant tank which is where I have had them. I also have had a pair lay in there. So the whole thing is confusing.well any suggestions are helpful. I am setting up some bare tanks for new young discus and the pair to move into once they been successful at laying.

Eddie
10-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Well I dont think the aged water with air bubbles are the answer. I will try some ro with tap and see how that goes. So is ro the collected water outside from rainfalls? I have had 3 fish die in the last yr with no sx. They just stop eating and hide. The water quality is good except for the hardness so not sure if that could somehow cause it. I do 50% changes every other day in my 90 gallon plant tank which is where I have had them. I also have had a pair lay in there. So the whole thing is confusing.well any suggestions are helpful. I am setting up some bare tanks for new young discus and the pair to move into once they been successful at laying.

RO is reverse osmisis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination_membrane

Dlprice45
10-23-2012, 11:43 AM
So sounds like I may need to look into getting a ro system. Can you make something like this?

Chicago Discus
10-23-2012, 11:50 AM
So sounds like I may need to look into getting a ro system. Can you make something like this?

Lord no, RO systems are not DIY you really need to invest and get good unit or you will end up with a 100g per day producing like 20g. Just play with the water and try not to over think it in the end you will just drive yourself crazy and it will take all the fun away....Josie

Dlprice45
10-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I saw that I could buy one that just goes under the sink. It looks like a fairly good unit. So does this hardness in water affect the eggs? weaken the fish? Like I said I did have hard water and raised babies and I didnt need to invest back then but maybe I was fortunate., but I am a definitely hooked on this hobby and just trying to figure out how to get good quality water at my new place.

Dlprice45
10-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Ok, I had my water tested and these are the results: I heard that the Iron and magnesium my be unhealthy for the fish. The people I talked to suggested I get a water softener. Do you think this would is a good idea?
TDS - 190
pH - 7.4
Hd - 12
Fe - .9
Mn - .20