PDA

View Full Version : HELP?

ronald sherman
10-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Let me start by saying alittle over 1 month ago i started a 75 gallon discus tank until now everything has been flawless got 8 of kenny discus have been doing regular water changes water testing etc, normally change about 50-60% of the tank water with aged water, but today since i was working on my apt and let haven't did 1 the whole weekend decided i was going too change about 85% long story short when the tank was about empty i forgot too unplug the tank heater litteraly saw it blew up removed heater holding it by the cord and waited till it colled down and refilled tank several of the discus appear too be very dark since this has happen 1 hr ago i had this happen too other fresh water fish tank and all was well btw have another heater in there too replace when the heater cracked could anything toxic might iof happen or got into the water? hope all is going too be ok?

matt56
10-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Well i would normally have pointed to not using aged water after letting it sit for a few days, but you already covered that. If it made a very loud sound then im sure it spooked the daylights out of em. My discus are very interactive and always are at the front, yet if i accidently slam the stand door all hell breaks loose. They may have just been seriously spooked by it, but definitely keep an eye on it. Keep us updated!

bogia99
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
there is no thing inside the heater chemically that can leak out into the water column and kill your fishes. If your fishes survived the electrical shock when the heater shorted then that may explained the skittyness. People do +90% WC all the time and those fishes just flopping around like pancake ... they wouldn't die from that neither.

ronald sherman
10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
thx's i found out the day i set up the discus tank how easy they can be spooked as i made the first mistake of setting it up less than 10 ft from the front door and the first half dozen times i came threw the door i thought a few might of jump out ,lol there is no open spaces but that how much slapes and running around they made now after 1 ht there normal color hasd returned and when i just went too feed them they all ate normally, but never saw fish change color so fast 2 of them were completely dark, lucky when i ordered 2 heater 1 for this tank and 1 for the water changes i accently ordered 2 of the same wattages and been using a 300 wt heater too age the watyer in a 30 gallon tank that i can get waway with a 100 wt so will need too repklace that 1 in the next day or 2 i actually bought a 55 gallon large trash can too go water changes but after i got it home it had a very strong smell of soak and didn't want too risk killing the fish thx'ds 4 the input

matt56
10-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Good to hear. Yeah when i do my water changes within seconds some of the more sensitive fish get stressed and turn very dark, but literally 1minute after its filled back up they are completely normal. Its pretty incredible really.

shoveltrash
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
and hey, they do get used to things ;). at first mine spooked at the television (LR tank), now I swear they swim to the end to watch when we turn it on! LOL
'glad your fish are ok!