PDA

View Full Version : some of you guys r intimidating

inkbull
10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
i mean this just cause ive been a member here 4 awhile and havent posted tell now i kinda think of myself as a hybred discus owner as in i belive in the true self sustaned ecosystem i did it once in a 75gal gecko tank but i also agree whith the religious water change thing and my style of keeping is very reflective of both styles and theorys i have two tanks conected by bridge alge scrubber refugium and trickle tower sump my maintence schedual is frequent 50% waterchanges every 4 days i do intend to back off when my discus get grown out nice but im rambling im really posting cause im a big diy guy and im in mid process of a 75gal upgrade for my system and i intend to go dirt planted tank with large swords ive been throwing around the idea of dry star method to carpet the bottom of the tank with hopfully baby tears i already have a hydor under gravel heating cable built in to the tank and would like some advice here to help avoid problems for my beloved Hans Discus

matt56
10-22-2012, 11:43 PM
You seem like you really know what you're doing. Anything in particular you needed advice on? And i know alot of the people on here can be intimidating, especially since i was brand new to discus and looking on here too, they are just concerned for the fishes well being. Its not fair to the fish to have a person who hasn't done much research/isnt willing to put in the time to really take care of them, get the fish and not realize how much work it can be. These really are some of the nicest people you will ever meet though. There was a thread on here about a self sustained sorta tank on here ill see if i can find it. If thats what you are asking advice on sorry i cant help ya there im not that advanced yet ;).

DLock3d
10-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Some have success with planted tanks. Some don't. Some think its only a temporary success. It's all about what you want to get out of keeping the fish. Do what makes you happy and learn from your victories and mistakes. If you want the healthiest discus possible follow the advice given through the countless threads here. If you want to do it your own way, that's fine too. If later you have problems and ask for help you will get flak for not doing it the tried and true way that's been proven by many hobbiest for years. Regardless, remember its a hobby. Do what you feel you need to do to enjoy your hobby.

matt56
10-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Some have success with planted tanks. Some don't. Some think its only a temporary success. It's all about what you want to get out of keeping the fish. Do what makes you happy and learn from your victories and mistakes. If you want the healthiest discus possible follow the advice given through the countless threads here. If you want to do it your own way, that's fine too. If later you have problems and ask for help you will get flak for not doing it the tried and true way that's been proven by many hobbiest for years. Regardless, remember its a hobby. Do what you feel you need to do to enjoy your hobby.

+1

inkbull
10-23-2012, 12:18 AM
thanks all i guess i really dont have much to ask ive done my resurch and observed others experiences with an open mind and feel very confident in my way of going about things
i would love to hear some experiences with my approach my tank also is half planted soon to be fully planted and has a co2 reactor and fluidized sand bed filter

Trier20
10-23-2012, 02:54 AM
A planted tank can be done. A lot of people don't like them for cleaning reasons. I don't see a problem as long as you don't over feed and put adult discus in the tank. Your setup sounds pretty cool! Would love to see it when it's all said and done. Good luck and have fun! That's what it's all about!

inkbull
10-23-2012, 04:14 AM
it is basically done the 75 is just going to replace the discus display tank that is presently a 55 i tried to post pic it wouldnt let me

matt56
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Yep gotta submit one more post, gotta get to 10 post. Are you planning on adult discus? And i also would like to see pictures, thought about a fluidized bed filter before using a sump and K1.

inkbull
10-23-2012, 12:26 PM
here is post ten hopfully i can get a pic up now

inkbull
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
i wont let me or i cant figure it out

tonytheboss1
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
:bandana: Some do come on a bit strong (passion can be mis-read as aggression). There are always gonna be different schools of thought about some subjects. Who's right?? You be the judge. Education is a continuing process. Keep chasing information, breeders, books, forums ..... it's all part of the process. Enjoy the hobby. "T"

pastry
10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
regardless, no one should come in "guns blazing" or even making sly remarks but like any where else, inkbull, there will always be those that have no tact. that aside, i'd love to follow your progress. i have a planted tank with young discus in it right now. no Co2 though. i had wanted to learn at one point but then realized that my plants were doing so well that if they got any bigger then i wouldn't be able to see my discus.

inkbull
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
the way i look at it is their is a few on here looking to argue and thoes said people are very closed minded even with science thrown at them they preach the tried and true i get why their method works why cant they get why my method works im not a breeder or trying to show discus a happy heathy discus is all i want and if u want to get technical you shouldnt confine a wild animal period show me one bb that looks like a peice of nature i keep aquariums cause i want a peace of nature in my room i keep discus cause i feel like im better than most fishkeepers

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
You remind me of an younger me, I too wanted to grow out discus in a planted tank.. After a few lessons with trial and error & getting banned(lol) .. I learned not to do it that way :)

- oz

pastry
10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I guess I'm still not old then... I keep trying to grow in a planted tank :) maybe someday I'll learn. until then, sounds like you have plenty of experience, ink. now, about those pics...?

inkbull
10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
i tried it wont let me what am i doing wrong i try to browse my pics n upload one it keeps sayin error

inkbull
10-23-2012, 03:39 PM
wow id like to show u but i cant finger out how

dpete9
10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
are you using an image host like photo bucket?

inkbull
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
no do i have to im trying to upload off my conpuper

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Photo bucket wold be the easiest imo

- oz

inkbull
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
ill check it out does it cost $

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I guess I'm still not old then... I keep trying to grow in a planted tank :) maybe someday I'll learn. until then, sounds like you have plenty of experience, ink. now, about those pics...?

A tiny bit of experience, not enough... Still learning like most of us here on simply

- oz

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 03:49 PM
ill check it out does it cost $

Nope, free.

- oz

nc0gnet0
10-23-2012, 03:57 PM
punctuphobia?

:angel:

inkbull
10-23-2012, 04:19 PM
ok so i got a few pics on my photo bucket now what lol im what i call conputer illiterate i hate them they hate me etc ....

inkbull
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
"Still learning like most of us here on simply" what somone on here isnt still learning

inkbull
10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/inkbull/0112_zps0d34698d.jpg

inkbull
10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/inkbull/fishbyjoey070_zpsd50f04f9.jpg

Skip
10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Ok.. Copy the link ur posting.. Then.. click the tree icon above ur text box here. ^^^

Click from computer.. Uncheck little box under the pasted url " Retrieve remote file and reference locally"..

Skip
10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/inkbull/fishbyjoey070_zpsd50f04f9.jpg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/inkbull/0112_zps0d34698d.jpg

Donno
10-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok.. Copy the link ur posting.. Then.. click the tree icon above ur text box here. ^^^

Click from computer.. Uncheck little box under the pasted url " Retrieve remote file and reference locally"..

Wow!! You actually helped someone instead of blasting them for not using the search function.

inkbull
10-23-2012, 06:07 PM
the fish on the top was at first considerably smaller than everyone got bullied but fought back and is now almost cought up with my largest fish id like to know what his color strain is hes deep purple with lots of blue hilights comming out around the edges my favorite fish i own

Skip
10-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Wow!! You actually helped someone instead of blasting them for not using the search function.

pffft.. its only to you i tell to use the search function.. OP.. never you mind this person.. who chose not to help you.. ;)

besides.. there isn't a thread to search on this.. or i would have.. :) :) :)

OP..

did you understand the directions on how to post...

i really should make a stick on this!

Donno
10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
pffft.. its only to you i tell to use the search function.. OP.. never you mind this person.. who chose not to help you.. ;)

besides.. there isn't a thread to search on this.. or i would have.. :) :) :)

OP..

did you understand the directions on how to post...

i really should make a stick on this!

A few months of watching this site showed me what kind of person you are. It's always search, search, search. You spend more time telling people where to find information than if you just point them in the right direction to begin with.

nc0gnet0
10-23-2012, 06:36 PM
A few months of watching this site showed me what kind of person you are. It's always search, search, search. You spend more time telling people where to find information than if you just point them in the right direction to begin with. You're a jerk.

Glass houses my freind......glass houses.

Skip
10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
A few months of watching this site showed me what kind of person you are. It's always search, search, search. You spend more time telling people where to find information than if you just point them in the right direction to begin with.

i am offended by your personal attack.. edit your statement

Donno
10-23-2012, 06:41 PM
You want an apology? I call things as I see them.

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't get why people get upset when asked to search, sure people are here to help each other but we are definitely not here to babysit..

Either way, photobucket ftw.

- oz

Skip
10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
You want an apology? I call things as I see them.

yes.. say what you want.. but leave out the PERSONAL NAME CALLING!

Donno
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
What personal name calling?

Skip
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
What personal name calling?

Calling me a J*RK! i am offended.. Edit that.. the rest is just fine :)

inkbull
10-23-2012, 06:57 PM
wow see this is the stuff im talking about on this sight some are going about the purpose of theise forms wrong

Harry Marsh
10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
wow see this is the stuff im talking about on this sight some are going about the purpose of theise forms wrong
Eyes. Bleed.

Every forum needs at least one Troll. We're lucky: we have a Warlock

Teshi
10-23-2012, 07:01 PM
I feel compelled to say something here. I do not know warlock at all. But he has been very helpful to many people. There is a forum policy for no personal attacks.

Donno
10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Let's just get to the bottom line. I don't like you Skip and you probably don't like me either. I think you're an ****** and we'll leave it at that.

Skip
10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
sorry for the distraction for my fan club...

OP..once again.. did you understand how post from photobucket or not?

Skip
10-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Let's just get to the bottom line. I don't like you Skip and you probably don't like me either. I think you're an ****** and we'll leave it at that.
http://cdn.mdjunction.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/Suzie_hugs_n_kisses.gif

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Eyes. Bleed.

Every forum needs at least one Troll. We're lucky: we have a Warlock

I'm not consider a troll Anymore?

I have failed.

- oz

DLock3d
10-23-2012, 07:10 PM

How ironic that you're now guilty of the same accusations you've made. With an attitude like this, you won't be here for long and you certainly won't be missed.

Pretty funny how you posted something that was completely off topic of the discussion and somehow feel justified in attacking another member.

Cosgrovb
Deleted

Skip
I'm not consider a troll Anymore?

I have failed.

- oz

sorry man.. :(

you were way better then i ever could be.. your still number one to me!!

inkbull
when i want to fight i go to the bars not the forms

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
when i want to fight i go to the bars not the forms

Thug life! Lol...
What is there to fight on these forums anyways?

"yea my fish could beat up your fish"

- oz

inkbull
10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
i dont know how this fourm made it at all with people acting like this my first posts and my simply discus experience is ruined

Oscarsx
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
i dont know how this fourm made it at all with people acting like this my first posts and my simply discus experience is ruined

Once you been on these forums for longer than a week, you kinda learn not to take everyone so serious.

We are all here for the love of the hobby, obtain for information and meet new people along the way.. You can't take all of our post serious... You seem like a cool guy, stick around you'll end up loving this place and even log in from work, like I'm doing right now..

I hope not to forget to plug in people's oil drain plug while reading on simply (I'm a subaru tech) lmao

- oz

Skip
10-23-2012, 07:20 PM

i have asked you like 3 times.. if you understood how to post pics.. did you understand the directions?

still trying to help you out, if you need..

inkbull
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM
sorry thanks warlock i havent even tried yet this little fight thing has kind discusted me but i will deffently try thanks again

Skip
10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
sorry thanks warlock i havent even tried yet this little fight thing has kind discusted me but i will deffently try thanks again

the TREE icon is for posting PICS..
dont' forget to click the URL TAB.. the UNclick the part about retrieve data.. :)

the FILM strip icon is for posting YOUTUBE vids

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Gentleman, time too chill

John_Nicholson
10-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Well Skip look at it this way at least they didn't imply that their was some great big behind the scene story when there really was not one.....so it could be worse....LOL.

-john

Larry Bugg
10-23-2012, 07:44 PM

WOW!!! Way out of line. Your attack was definitely uncalled for. You weren't even involved.

There is a reason there is a search function. Ops should learn to use it.

Skip, you have remained very civil during this. Way to go.

yim11
10-23-2012, 07:47 PM

I helped Simply help us:

Some examples of inappropriate posts are:

Spam
Foul or abusive language
Commercial posts from non sponsors
Troll like behaviour
Persoanl attacks

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98339-Help-us-to-help-you

Wjmulder
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
just trying to help the OP post pics..
http://images.wikia.com/zombiejombie/images/9/9b/Puss-in-boots.jpg

Lmao!!!

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks all, Lets return this thread back to the original subject...Please

Skip
10-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks all, Lets return this thread back to the original subject...Please

Sorry..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7060/6919329205_34093abf3a.jpg

Second Hand Pat
10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Skip, I am a dog person :D

tonytheboss1
10-23-2012, 09:30 PM
:bandana: Jeeze, the OP was already apprehensive about aggression on the site. I imagine he's traumatized by this display. Inkbull, friend, unfortunately, some folks have to be placed on permanant ignore. Don't be discouraged by the minority, embrace the majority. Most here are fantastic, knowledgable, helpful folk. Keep smilin' "T"