PDA

View Full Version : Where did the eggs go?

HAYVERN
10-24-2012, 12:50 AM
So I posted here awhile ago about some aggressiveness I was experiencing in my tank, it was suggested more fish would help and it certainly did.

Recently I had a surprise with a couple of the fish I was able to pick up from another peson paired off and spawned on a piece of driftwood. Now I never expected much out of this spawning, but it was good to see that I must be doing more than a few things right as they felt that they were comfortable enough in the tank to do their business. I am not in a position to take them out and put them in a breeding tank to try to raise fry, but maybe someday.

But I did have a question, after about 48 hours, all the eggs were gone, I did not seen any of the other fish eat them and the spawned pair were very diligent about keeping the other fish clear of the spawn site. Where do they go, is it possible they hatched and were eaten? Do the eggs eventually detach from the spawn site? I am just curious more than anything, but figured someone here would have the answer.

chaoslite
10-24-2012, 12:58 AM
It is possible the parents ate them. Unless you see the parents guarding another spot, they were eaten by fish in the tank.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

HAYVERN
10-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks, poor fish one of the parents is still there protecting the same spot, I understand they may likely try again shortly, so I will keep watching them. I am not expecting them to have a successful breeding in a community tank, but I was more excited about the fact they did spawn.

chaoslite
10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Parents have been known to move wrigglers. Check around where the one is still guarding. If they are not there do not worry they will try again and again and again...lol

Mishka

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

HAYVERN
10-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Well I awoke this morning to a pleasant surprise, I guess I could not see them before, but there are small fry in the tank where they were hatched. Mom and Dad are protecting them. They are starting to try and swim around, but noticed this morning that the parents would take the fry in their mouths and then spit them back onto the driftwood where they were hatched.

There was around 30 of them as close as I could tell, I am curious to see what is happening when I get home today.

chaoslite
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Congratulations!! The parents either put them in a better spot or they were too small to see. How many other fish are in the tank? I would not hold out hope that they will make it since you said there are other fish in the tank but I am sure the parents will give it a good try.

Mishka