PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstorm!!!!!!!!!!

YSS
10-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Urghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Not looking forward to it. Hope everyone in the mid-atlantic and northeast weathers the storm. Completely unprepared for it not that I ever was during other storms.

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Yun, Hope it veers off and stays away from land. Neither way I feel your pain and hope for the best for everyone in the path.
Pat

Disgirl
10-26-2012, 08:54 AM
I knew it was too good to be true, no hurricanes here in Oct or Nov recently. We will get it Sat afternoon through Sun afternoon. 4-6" rain and high wind. How I dread it. At least we do have a generator and gas. Will do big wc's later today.
Barb =(

terps
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Yup, it's a good time to prepare. Expect many days without power. Get a generator if you don't have one. Test your generator if you do. Or at least get some battery operated air pumps with lots of batteries to keep your filters going. Also fill your cars up with gas and fill up your gas cans. Buy some flashlights and batteries if you don't have any. It's a good time to clean your gutters too and to clear debris away from storm drains. This storm could really be a bad one. It's looks like a direct hit on the Mid Atlantic area.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL+gif/204249W5_NL_sm.gif

Another tip is to fill 2 or 3 liter bottles with water and freeze them and keep them in your freezer. This will help keep your food frozen longer when the power goes out. It's probably a good idea to eat what you have stored in the freezer over the next few days so it doesn't go to waste if the power is out for a long time. Be careful out there!

http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_18.gif

yogi
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Good luck to all of you in the northeast. Last night one of my Italian Ice stores had no power for 3 hours and my house was out for 8 hours. I'm near Ft. Lauderdale, Fl and
200 miles away from the storm. Some of the qualls were quite strong.

Scribbles
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Chris

roclement
10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
We get if Monday and Tuesday if it satys the course...how many Storm of the Century can you have in one century?
Last year we had Irene and snow on Halloween, not Frankenstorm!

Rodrigo

DonMD
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
So far, Rod, the NHC has the storm smashing into the Deleware Bridge. You'll get blasted. Here in the DC area all it takes is a bucket full of rain to create havoc, so I'm betting we'll be looking at days without power. Yun, you might consider a generator, if there are any still available. I had one wired into a manual transfer switch to my home electrical panel, it'll run everything except the AC, the electric stove, and a couple circuits, so hopefully I'll be able to "weather" the storm.

gersteven
10-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Frankenstorm has renewed my interest in purchasing a portable generator (all the big box stores here on Long Island have sold out.) I have a few battery operated air pumps that will keep my sponge filters and air stones running if need be however, my main concern is keeping my discus alive during a cold weather power outage. Can anyone recommend a reliable generator that will keep my refrigerator, portable heaters, tv's etc. running? My guess is that a 7500 watt unit should be sufficient.

Steve

terps
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
http://pjmedia.com/weathernerd/2012/10/26/dont-panic-but-prepare-sandy-looks-like-the-real-deal/

YSS
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Power outage is a concern as a fish keeper, but strong wind and lots big trees in my backyard is a bigger concern.

korbi_doc
10-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Gosh everyone out there, please be prepared & safe... These storms can be so dangerous...my daughter & family are right there in EHT, NJ too....pray for all to be safe.. ..then the critters too...

Dottie

Mgardner
10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm in NJ, potentially looking at the storm. If I lose power, will the air stones be sufficient? I have some limited battery power, don't want to waste it on the filters too if I can get away with less but for longer.
Thanks.

mmorris
10-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Depends on how long we lose power, I guess. I bought a 5,500 watt generator at a yard sale this last summer for $60, delivered. It's almost new. I was told it is very hard to start, but after getting it home and taking a good look at it, I guess the previous owners didn't know about the choke. :)

Disgirl
10-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Gee did you ever get a deal Martha! That may be the best deal of your life!
Barb

Keith Perkins
10-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Depends on how long we lose power, I guess. I bought a 5,500 watt generator at a yard sale this last summer for $60, delivered. It's almost new. I was told it is very hard to start, but after getting it home and taking a good look at it, I guess the previous owners didn't know about the choke. :)

I'm guessing Martha that the sellers weren't from our generation.

korbi_doc
10-27-2012, 09:55 AM
OOOHHHH!!!! OUCH!!! That one hurts, lol...............

I'm guessing Martha that the sellers weren't from our generation.

mmorris
10-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Yes, Keith, we are the technology generation. LOL

Keith Perkins
10-27-2012, 10:40 PM
So how old would you guess the sellers were?

mmorris
10-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't know. It was the town-wide garage sale, and various interest groups, like the fire department, hold garage sales on that day to raise funds. They depend on donations. Someone donated it, and the woman at the garage sale told me what they said - that it was hard to start. I asked her how much she wanted for it and she said $50. I only had 20s on me (don't you hate it when that happens?) and since she said they would deliver it to my house, I gave them $60. Seemed fair. :)

YSS
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
The schools are closed on Monday and Tuesday already here in VA. I wonder what the Federal Gov't is going to do.

Mep1127
10-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't know what to expect for long island :( College classes are cancelled monday. LIPA, our power supplier has a horrible response time when the power does fail. It's been crazy the past 3 days this week :argue:

Disgirl
10-28-2012, 05:34 PM
This danged storm is still here in NC. It started raining in our little city, 30 mi. inland, on Thursday late afternoon, has not quit yet. It is moving so slowly we won't have any sun until Wed. at the earliest. Maybe it will pick up speed as it goes north. Our coastline is torn up, we are fine, just a messy yard. No loss of power (that must be because we are so well prepared for it). Good luck to all you up north.
Barb

DonMD
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
It's the quiet before the storm . . .

YSS
10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
So far so good, but bad things will come later this afternoon. We may even see some snow. :angry:

roclement
10-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Rain and wind gusts here but nothing major yet.

Rodrigo

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Crossing fingers for you guys and hope this amounts to nothing.

Skip
10-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Rain and wind gusts here but nothing major yet.

Rodrigo

pffft.. its a category 1 hurricane.. yall will be ok.. we get them down in the third coast all the time..

i just hope the elec. stays on for ya!

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2012, 11:31 AM
pffft.. its a category 1 hurricane.. yall will be ok.. we get them down in the third coast all the time..

i just hope the elec. stays on for ya!

Easy to say Skip living in an apartment :)

Skip
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Easy to say Skip living in an apartment :)

Pat.. AND i live 3 hours from coast :)

TORNADO'S are something that is very bad.. AND they is warning for them bad boys!

hope its all hype.. i'm really worried for all the fish keepers.. IF juice goes out.> :(

mmorris
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
If I lose electricity I lose water. :(

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Pat.. AND i live 3 hours from coast :)

TORNADO'S are something that is very bad.. AND they is warning for them bad boys!

hope its all hype.. i'm really worried for all the fish keepers.. IF juice goes out.> :(

Ditto on the power going out and Skip, tornado's do come with hurricanes sometimes :(

If I lose electricity I lose water. :(

Me too Martha, on a well. Lost power for six weeks total in 2004 with three hurricanes. It is not fun hauling water for horses. 100 gallons at a time. If I had discus at the time would have lost them all I suspect.

YSS
10-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Power goes out when wind kicks up. We are supposed to get 60 mph + gusts for over 12 hours. :(

Plus, I have several large trees in my backyard which is a concern when we get extended period of high wind.

mmorris
10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Lost power for six weeks total in 2004 with three hurricanes.
2004 sounds like a really bad year!

Second Hand Pat
10-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh man Martha, so many people lost roof singles when you flew into Orlando looked like everyone had blue roofs from the blue tarps everyone was using.

My husband told my sister flying into Orlando to be sure to check out all the blue roofs, he said it was a new fad. Once Lynda was close enough she realized it was blue tarps and had a good chuckle.

Altum Nut
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
My thoughts are will you all along the coast.
Once it hits land it will wind down hopefully but the winds will still be a factor causing power outages.
So if you guys and gals are still onlne...be safe.

...Ralph

Disgirl
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
We still have some wind here but rain is all moved up north. It gets cold tomorrow here. You all hang on and do what you can to stay safe. Remember, fish can be replaced, you can't. Hope it speeds by and doesn;t stay long.
Barb

YSS
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
We still have some wind here but rain is all moved up north. It gets cold tomorrow here. You all hang on and do what you can to stay safe. Remember, fish can be replaced, you can't. Hope it speeds by and doesn;t stay long.
Barb

Sounds like you came out ok, Barb. We are currently going through the worst part of the storm.

Eddie
10-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Hoping everyone on the East Coast remains safe! Thinking of you all!

Darren's Discus
10-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Hope everyone is safe !

cheers

AngryBird
10-30-2012, 02:41 AM
I have no power for the last 12 hours and I am not sure when power will be restored. I have 350 gallons of water with 48 discus mostly adults. I am safe but my fish are not.

forrest
10-30-2012, 07:22 AM
I have no power for the last 12 hours and I am not sure when power will be restored. I have 350 gallons of water with 48 discus mostly adults. I am safe but my fish are not.

hi Prabhu,
if u have the battery operating air pump, that will be great for the tank, stop feeding the fishes for few days willl help a lot n also water change with water conditioner added if u find fishes dont look good . lower the water level is another way to ease the fishes.

best rgds,
forrest.

YSS
10-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Came out fine with no damage and no lost power. Hope everyone else is holding up ok.

aalbina
10-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Prabhu - I have a 5000 watt generator I can bring down to you. Would the apartment management allow you to run a generator outside and pull an extension cord through a window?

Adam

aalbina
10-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Prabhu - I have a 5000 watt generator I can bring down to you. Would the apartment management allow you to run a generator outside and pull an extension cord through a window?

Adam

AngryBird
10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Yayyy. Power restored few hours back and I am happy and so are my fish :). Thank you Adam for offering your generator. My apartment wont allow generator and I already checked with them a week ago or else I would have purchased one. Once again thank you very much for your offer.

Adam

AngryBird
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Forrest,

I had four battery operated pumps and they were busy working for the last 24 hours. I had just finished my water change and the power went out last afternoon so it worked out well. As you had posted I didnt feed them. My tanks are made of very thick glass so the temperature didnt go below 80. Thank you very much for your tips :).

hi Prabhu,
if u have the battery operating air pump, that will be great for the tank, stop feeding the fishes for few days willl help a lot n also water change with water conditioner added if u find fishes dont look good . lower the water level is another way to ease the fishes.

best rgds,
forrest.

aalbina
10-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Great - glad you got power back! Let me know when you want to get rid of some fish so you can bring in some new ones. You know me, just trying to help my friend!

Adam

DonMD
10-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Yesterday morning woke up to find water in the basement ~ turned out the water heater busted a seam! Got a plumber ($ $ $) same day to fix.

Then this morning just after midnight lights went out. Still out at 8:15pm. Fortunately I've got a good generator and so fish stock is good. Can't say my neighbors are happy, but I've got heat, light, TV, internet, only some plugs not wired in. Tomorrow, Wednesday, I'm supposed to go to work, but I don't think I'll leave the generator running unattended for 10 hours.

My son in Westchester, NY is also without power, he'll be out for days. I'm hoping for a fix tomorrow.

jimg
10-30-2012, 08:38 PM
same here but i'll leave my generator on and hope for the best. when the 300w heaters kick on at the same time sometimes it stalls.
working on or rather in the hudson river so I don't think work will proceed to much this week. we're dredging contaminated soils from under the river so I would imagine dec will halt any of our activities.

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Good to see you are ok Jim

Scribbles
10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is ok. I hope that you get your power back soon.

Chris

shawnhu
10-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear you're ok Jim. Anyone hear from Al yet?

Second Hand Pat
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Yup, Al is ok with some downed trees and no power. He hopes power returns tomorrow.

jimg
10-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Good to see you are ok JimThanks Pat and Shawn on $72.00 in gas for generator, house getting cold but fish room nice!

judy
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Looking on from Canada, all my sympathies go out to those of you on the eastern seaboard in the U.S., and hopes you make it trhough will little or no damage. What an awful thing for you all to have to go through.

DonMD
10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
My power came back on last night, so about 24 hours without. Jim, glad to hear you're OK. Hopefully now work will pick up in the area for all construction. -Don

jimg
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM
My power came back on last night, so about 24 hours without. Jim, glad to hear you're OK. Hopefully now work will pick up in the area for all construction. -Donthanks Don. was off today again from work but have to go back tomorrow to start clean up. we're doing 2 dredging jobs, 1 is old bicc cable property and next we're going to sleepy hollow to clean up the old gm plant. so I should stay busy for awhile anyway.generators are a pita had too get up 3x middle of the night to restart it. time for propane generator!
I have 5 cages of birds here too had to move then into living room to be near heat.....wife not happy!

AngryBird
10-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Jim,

I hope things get better soon.
thanks Don. was off today again from work but have to go back tomorrow to start clean up. we're doing 2 dredging jobs, 1 is old bicc cable property and next we're going to sleepy hollow to clean up the old gm plant. so I should stay busy for awhile anyway.generators are a pita had too get up 3x middle of the night to restart it. time for propane generator!
I have 5 cages of birds here too had to move then into living room to be near heat.....wife not happy!

nwehrman
10-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Jim,

I hope things get better soon.

+1

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimg
10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
+1

Nicole

thank you both! we have it easy compared to to what happened down county and NJ. at least we can run generators, they have nothing. I was at a canary breeders house in long island sunday, I tried getting in touch with her to see how things were ut no reply so far. they got hit hard too.

Keith Perkins
10-31-2012, 09:51 PM
I watched the local news tonight and they were at a nearby community at the Generac company. They're currently working 24 hours a day loading semi-loads of generators heading east. So if you think you need one don't assume they won't be available, or at least very soon at a local Home Depot etc.

Here's a link to Walmarts prices.

$320 800 watts
$480 1600 watts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15862622?a...l5=pla&veh=sem

DonMD
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
thanks Don. was off today again from work but have to go back tomorrow to start clean up. we're doing 2 dredging jobs, 1 is old bicc cable property and next we're going to sleepy hollow to clean up the old gm plant. so I should stay busy for awhile anyway.generators are a pita had too get up 3x middle of the night to restart it. time for propane generator!

Well, Jim, it's time to upgrade your generator! I did last year, 7,500W, direct wired to a manual transfer switch, works great (knock on wood). My son in Westchester has my old Honda 2,500W, he called me today to ask if he could plug in a 1,300W electric heater, he's FREEZING! Plus his wife, my daughter in law, is 8+ months pregnant. Jeez!

jimg
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, Jim, it's time to upgrade your generator! I did last year, 7,500W, direct wired to a manual transfer switch, works great (knock on wood). My son in Westchester has my old Honda 2,500W, he called me today to ask if he could plug in a 1,300W electric heater, he's FREEZING! Plus his wife, my daughter in law, is 8+ months pregnant. Jeez! what brand did you get? I hope you son gets the electric back soon. we did last night.

YSS
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Saw this on my local club forum. Very unfortunate ....

Bad News for New York Aquarium :-(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/01/hurricane-sandy-new-york-aquarium-evacuate/1675513/

Good News for the aquarium's baby walrus, however:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/0 ... 51348.html

We heard about this from Long Islander Frank Greco today in a call to Joshua Wiegert. It looks like the aquarium is severely damaged and looking to relocate their livestock. I have sent an email to them to see if they need volunteers or any assistance. The news is reporting that they are considering relocating their livestock.

I'm wondering if there is anything PVAS can do to help them out. The website says that the aquarium is "closed indefinitely", and I do not see that they are set up for emergency donations at this point. However, there is a donations page on their site.

Road trip anyone? I wonder what a few vans full of Virginian fish keepers could do to help them evacuate their livestock???

DonMD
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
what brand did you get? I hope you son gets the electric back soon. we did last night.

ConEd shows he'll get power back Nov. 9 by 11:59pm! Suuure. I bought a Briggs & Straton from generatorsdirect.com. Glad your lights are back!

Floppy Fin's
11-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Has anyone heard from Discus Hans in Baltimore MD...?? Or posted ?? Does his e.mail work ??
Floppy Fins

Second Hand Pat
11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Hans posted after the storm if that is what you are asking

roclement
11-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Noreaster coming next week...then we will have a plague of locust...

Rodrigo

YSS
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Rodrigo

Heard about the noreaster, but not about the locust. But won't be suprised if they do come....

DonMD
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Rodrigo

Ha ha. Waaaaaa!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

shawnhu
11-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Edited

Mep1127
11-02-2012, 11:10 PM
And on the fifth day god said let there be light.... just got my power today. :o It was getting annoying boiling water for the tank. My discus are so scared right now after I had wrapped my tank in various layers of plastic wrap, aluminum and blankets. Hopefully they don't contract ich (water got nippy at times) I Haven't fed them because I knew I wouldn't be able to do water changes with cold water and gas was limited. Hopefully everyone who was affected is alright and has power once again. Now we must prepare for the nor'easter. 2012 please be a myth :(

roclement
11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
If we are to end in 2012, can't it just be easy? Why do we have to suffer from now untill the end? :)

Rodrigo

jimg
11-03-2012, 07:43 AM
If we are to end in 2012, can't it just be easy? Why do we have to suffer from now untill the end? :)

RodrigoHA!!!

terps
11-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I feel sorry for the people on Staten Island. The lack of response by the Federal Government and FEMA is a national disgrace. Just look at the news links of people suffering on the top of Drudge's site:
http://www.drudgereport.com/

And stupid Mayor Bloomberg wanted to run the marathon instead of helping his people. They had 3 large generators that were sitting idle to be used for the NYC marathon. Those generators could have given temporary power to hundreds of homes. Instead, they were to be used by the media covering the marathon. What an embarrassment. At least he finally cancelled the marathon late yesterday afternoon. The guy is such a moron.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_island/borough_that_nyc_forgot_RFyV3Z55HcTM7iqgcRsWzH

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57544725/sandy-victims-run-low-on-fuel-and-patience/

http://nation.time.com/2012/11/02/surviving-hurricane-sandy-the-island-that-new-york-city-forgot/

The worst story: Non-Union Alabama Utility Workers Denied Entry into New Jersey – Told to Stand Down (Video) What the hell is wrong with these unions. People are suffering and need power, but they only care about themselves. Shameful.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/non-union-alabama-utility-workers-denied-entry-into-new-jersey-told-to-stand-down-video/

Floppy Fin's
11-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Has anyone heard from Discus Hans in Baltimore MD...?? Or posted ?? Does his e.mail work ??
Floppy Fins

Great, thanks SHP.... I was worried he may have power or water problems there too. I am in Iowa, but I am awed by the devastation I am seeing on TV. If I were closer, I would bring food, water, and my chain saw to help you all in the eastern states. Especially in the NYC vacinity. I am sure many here in the mid states are doing it as well.
This is what America does best, pull together to defeat disaster.
Hang tough..
FF

Keith Perkins
11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
I feel sorry for the people on Staten Island. The lack of response by the Federal Government and FEMA is a national disgrace. Just look at the news links of people suffering on the top of Drudge's site:

And stupid Mayor Bloomberg wanted to run the marathon instead of helping his people. They had 3 large generators that were sitting idle to be used for the NYC marathon. Those generators could have given temporary power to hundreds of homes. Instead, they were to be used by the media covering the marathon. What an embarrassment. At least he finally cancelled the marathon late yesterday afternoon. The guy is such a moron.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/staten_island/borough_that_nyc_forgot_RFyV3Z55HcTM7iqgcRsWzH

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57544725/sandy-victims-run-low-on-fuel-and-patience/

http://nation.time.com/2012/11/02/surviving-hurricane-sandy-the-island-that-new-york-city-forgot/

The worst story: Non-Union Alabama Utility Workers Denied Entry into New Jersey – Told to Stand Down (Video) What the hell is wrong with these unions. People are suffering and need power, but they only care about themselves. Shameful.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/non-union-alabama-utility-workers-denied-entry-into-new-jersey-told-to-stand-down-video/

Yup, plenty of stupidity on both sides of the political aisle.

mmorris
11-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Ironic that many people now in serious need are Republicans, who support a party with a platform strongly based on 'get big government off our backs.' That ideology does not include import tariffs and corporate support to force open foreign sources of raw materials, energy, markets and cheap labour. It does include health care, affordable housing, affordable quality food, education, decent wages...and emergency relief. A lot of people are going to find that the Democrats in office are not going to provide the help they need. Will they turn to the Republicans? This is a good time to remember that there are more than just two candidates running for offices. Before you vote, know what the candidates stand for..how do they envision the allocation of our nation's resources?

roclement
11-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Ironic that many people now in serious need are Republicans, who support a party with a platform strongly based on 'get big government off our backs.' That ideology does not include import tariffs and corporate support to force open foreign sources of raw materials, energy, markets and cheap labour. It does include health care, affordable housing, affordable quality food, education, decent wages...and emergency relief. A lot of people are going to find that the Democrats in office are not going to provide the help they need. Will they turn to the Republicans? This is a good time to remember that there are more than just two candidates running for offices. Before you vote, know what the candidates stand for..how do they envision the allocation of our nation's resources?

Man...never tought I would say this! :) I agree with Martha! I don't care what peoples political views are, please look into the complete picture before voting. Remember that this is a privileged country to be able to participate in the electorial process, do it justice!

Rodrigo

terps
11-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Yup, plenty of stupidity on both sides of the political aisle.

This is Obama's Katrina. Shameful!

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/11/02/NBC-Staten-Island-Abandoned-By-FEMA-Red-Cross

http://twitchy.com/2012/11/02/obama-hits-vegas-with-eva-longoria-while-sandy-victims-dumpster-dive-in-nyc/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/long_cold_weekend_here_dNBkjbGISUiRGERUvnbMXN

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-residents-arm-looters-article-1.1196031

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/klyn_bat_man_run_looters_VxfnY8FAH2MYZZ9GrKM6eJ

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/battered_by_sandy_staten_islan.html

God Bless the animal rescuers.

http://www.thedogfiles.com/2012/11/01/animal-rescue-aftermath-hurricane-sandy/

YSS
11-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Getting tired of people turning everything into political BS and it always come from the right.

mmorris
11-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Man...never tought I would say this! :) I agree with Martha!
LOL

Keith Perkins
11-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Getting tired of people turning everything into political BS and it always come from the right.

If you're on the far left it would look that way to you, lol.

a volar
11-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Completely agree with you Martha...

gersteven
11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
We have been without power here on LI since Monday (no damage thank goodness!) I've been using a battery operated air pump to run cycled sponge filters as a back up to my Rena canister until power returns. Can I use the Rena as is or should I replace some or all of the media before running it.

Steve

nwehrman
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Take apart the Rena... Everything is dead. Clean thoroughly and restart like its brand new when power comes back on. You do not want to pump what's in the Rena now back into your tank. The bacteria from the sponges will help it come back quicker but you will have a mini cycle probably till the bacteria re grows

Nicole

YSS
11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
If you're on the far left it would look that way to you, lol.

That was actually funny not that I am on the far left. :)

shawnhu
11-04-2012, 01:16 AM

In a nutshell, this country is run by $ and screwed up politics.

Hope those affected will make a recovery. Lots of lives affected by this storm, and it's definitely not the last we'll see in our lifetimes I'm sure.

a volar
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM

I agree also Yun. And I'm not in the far left, not in the left at all!! :)

jimg
11-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Getting tired of people turning everything into political BS and it always come from the right. how true... and i'm not on the left either!

gersteven
11-04-2012, 09:43 AM
We have been without power here on LI since Monday (no damage thank goodness!) I've been using a battery operated air pump to run cycled sponge filters as a back up to my Rena canister until power returns. Can I use the Rena as is or should I replace some or all of the media before running it.

Steve Thanks for the info!

Steve

terps
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Devastated Rockaways residents lash out at Bloomberg during unannounced visit

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/when_are_we_gonna_get_some_ing_help_T35TrXo1FCdu7Y RBmQkQ8L

Union halting power repair crews is top Democratic donor:

"The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, cited in news reports for halting nonunion repair crews from helping to restore power in superstorm Sandy's New Jersey-New York path, is one of nation's top union donors to Democrats, a group President Obama last year praised in a visit to an IBEW training Center."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/union-halting-power-repair-crews-is-top-democratic-donor/article/2512430#.UJaTfYYXHy8

NYC Marathon generators needed by Sandy survivors wasted in NJ lot
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/couldn_take_it_one_lousy_mile_rbF98fD5z4Rnqj0qzDjm vK

Chaos reigns at free gas fiasco
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/desperate_dash_for_free_fuel_l2MbJN8dRsSTYQW0lnsf0 I

FEMA out of water for victims
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/02/FEMA-Still-Doesn-t-Have-Bottled-Water-to-Distribute-Finally-Places-Large-Order-Today-for-Delivery-Monday

I think the Democrats on Staten Island are starting to feel like diplomats in Benghazi. I really can't blame Obama for campaigning instead of helping the Sandy victims, when you lose a job is this terrible economy, it could takes years to find another one.

Discus-Hans
11-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes we are okay, no problems here, I'm not much on the forum at the moment because with so many friends in problems (without power) selling fish is at the moment on second place, just very busy with phone calls from and to friends and try to help were I can. In many cases you can only hope for the best and just give an ear to talk to.

This whole thing sucks.........

Hans

PAR23
11-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes we are okay, no problems here, I'm not much on the forum at the moment because with so many friends in problems (without power) selling fish is at the moment on second place, just very busy with phone calls from and to friends and try to help were I can. In many cases you can only hope for the best and just give an ear to talk to.

This whole thing sucks.........

Hans

Yes Hans and thank you and Jim for being one of those ears for me........We were "spared" for the most part on the North Shore part of Long Island........Down trees and for some still no power but we did not see the devastation as seen on Long Beach, Breezy Point or at the Jersey Shore. People on the South Shore of Long Island still do not have basic necessity for life such as shelter, clean drinking water and proper sewage disposal

The problem now is getting gas.....people are waiting 12-14 hrs on line "hoping" for the next delivery to arrive. My question is: where the h*ll is the gas? Where is the leadership when we needed it the most? Where did they all go after their photo ops?

Yes I am conservative Republican and proud of it but right now I don't care what side of the aisle they sit.....we need help here and desperately plead for it.

I apologize for the rant but people are suffering here with no help in sight......temperature reaching the freezing point over next few nights. Now with another Nor'easter on its way, conditions will only further deteriorate.