PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a new 75 gallon question...

Sandy Clay
10-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I currently have a 30 gallon aquarium and have looked at my local pet shop for a 75 gallon. I can get one, stand, aquarium top and light for $349.00. What would be the best way to get it cycled? Could I just take my HOB filter and move it to the new one? I have filters, one is new. Could I just set up the new filter and move the older seasoned one to the new tank? I won't be doing this for awhile yet, but, would like some input. Oh, the tank I have presently is Bare bottom, some driftwood with a few plants. I could also move the driftwood and plants, they would have some bacteria on them also....correct?

aalbina
10-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes - you can move your 30 gallon filters to the 75 or just put the filter media into the larger filter you may be getting for your 75 (which you should do). If the biological load is the same - you'll be fine. If you are upgrading to a 75 and adding more fish then the biological load will be greater than what the filters can handle so you will probably go through a bit of a min-cycle. Watch the ammonia levels and water changes are your friend.

Adam

Sandy Clay
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks...no , same fish just bigger home. I have 2 Aquaclear filters I was going to run in the new tank, one from the old tank and the new one. Is that going to be sufficient?

BobDaniel
10-26-2012, 04:37 PM
With Discus, we like to filter the water so that the entire tank is filtered at least 5 times an hour.

Trier20
10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Yup like stated above. I would find a filter that pumped at least 375-450 gph and put my old filter media into the new filter to help seed it. I like to have at least one sponge filter in the tank too to help build a stronger bacteria colony.

discuspaul
10-26-2012, 06:16 PM
What size are your existing AC filters ? Is one an AC 50, or a 70?
If you plan on HOB filters for your 75 gal discus tank, I suggest 2 AC 110's (or a 110 and a 70) would do the job nicely.
Place both new filters in your tank, with all of the seeded media from your existing tank filter - some in each filter - (along with your existing DW & plants). If it's just the same number of fish going in the 75, you are good to go, with the 2 new AC's providing the strength of filtration/flow that you should have in that larger tank.

Sandy Clay
10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I will have to check the size of my Aqua Clears. I was thinking when I bought them, I got a bigger size than I needed.

Sandy Clay
10-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Ok, I have 2- 50 Aqua Clears. Will these two work?

aalbina
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Ok, I have 2- 50 Aqua Clears. Will these two work?

Yes - that's going to move 400gph - this will be fine.

Adam

Sandy Clay
10-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks Adam. I hate to have to buy all new filters too! I bought a heater that is good for up to several hundred gallons by accident, so, that will work.