PDA

View Full Version : Other discus eating eggs as they are being laid

jozwikjp
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Hello,
One of my discus has been laying eggs of my UV filter. The egg layer lays a single egg, and the other discus just sucks it off.
Is that normal? Is this fish some kind of a-hole?

http://youtu.be/RDVUBPXfly0?hd=1

Second Hand Pat
10-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Hello,
One of my discus has been laying eggs of my UV filter. The egg layer lays a single egg, and the other discus just sucks it off.
Is that normal? Is this fish some kind of a-hole?

http://youtu.be/RDVUBPXfly0?hd=1

It is not unusually for discus to eat eggs. Quite offer young pairs will eat their eggs for several spawns before allowing the eggs to hatch. Some discus will always be eggs eaters.

Craigmax
10-30-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm going through the same thing with 6 blue diamonds that I adopted. 2 very large males and 4 females. Two pairs partake in the same ritual of laying/eating at the same time and they're two years old. I'm convinced they'll always be egg eaters. I will split them up when I buy another 125. Good luck all.

Keith Perkins
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Egg eating is sometimes thought to be a defense mechanism. You could try giving the pair more privacy from the other fish and yourself and see if it makes a difference. As Pat said some will always eat eggs no matter what you do, but perhaps it's worth a shot.

camuth8
10-30-2012, 08:27 PM
I'd separate the one that's not paired from the other two. If you have 3 discus in one tank, the odd man out might want to interfere like yours. Another question. Which one isn't paired? The one trying to eat the eggs, or the one on the bottom?

mrblah00
10-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a pair that will do that same thing, the male follows and eats the eggs. When i add a third fish to the tank with them they seem to do it right. I guess it's the competition thing....
Sam

Keith Perkins
10-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Every fish is different, but definitely some good food for thought for you here.

jozwikjp
11-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd separate the one that's not paired from the other two. If you have 3 discus in one tank, the odd man out might want to interfere like yours. Another question. Which one isn't paired? The one trying to eat the eggs, or the one on the bottom?
Hello,
I have 15 discus in that tank. I can't really tell at this point who is paired with who. I though there was one pair but then it turns out they were both females and both laying eggs. I am not going to worry about it, I don't think I can handle any more fishes.

camuth8
11-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, if 2 are females, that's definitely not going to work out. :p