PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish fish in the am

Mgardner
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Is it normal for my fish (all - angels, tetras, and discus) to be totally sluggish in the am? I turn my lights on, but don't even bother to feed them anymore since they won't eat right away. I toss in some pellets but my Cory's eat them. When I come home later, they're active and begging for food...
Thanks

matt56
10-26-2012, 10:30 PM
The sudden brightness of the lights will shock them for a bit, might try a moonlight? Just make sure it isnt too bright. Other then that i wouldn't worry about it, unless one of them gets too spooked and hits the side.

xKevinx
10-27-2012, 05:22 AM
normal. i turn my lights on and feed hour later and the fish eat

BODYDUB
10-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I open a window shade when I first get up in the am before I do anything to let the sunlight light up the room. Then I turn on my lighting about 1-2 hours later. I like to give their eyes time to adjust to the light before I turn on the lighting. This method allows me to feed them as soon as I turn on the lights if I wanted........

Mgardner
10-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks all. The room has a window so a little filtered light comes in. I guess it's just more noticible because its darker in the mornings now.

Pancho
10-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I open a window shade when I first get up in the am before I do anything to let the sunlight light up the room. Then I turn on my lighting about 1-2 hours later. I like to give their eyes time to adjust to the light before I turn on the lighting. This method allows me to feed them as soon as I turn on the lights if I wanted........
+1

Kal-El
10-28-2012, 05:49 PM
I normally just turn on the room light and leave it on for 15 mins. By the time I go to the tank and turn on their light and feed them... they are fully awake and waiting at the front for me to give them food.

wannadivesteve
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
You could try what my wife does... a little coffee first thing in the morning might perk them up.

BODYDUB
10-29-2012, 07:07 PM
You could try what my wife does... a little coffee first thing in the morning might perk them up.
Umm, she may be trying to poison them......