PDA

View Full Version : Crystal red shrimp Plz HELP!

Supatank
10-26-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't know why my crs are vanishing? i just started the hobby 5mth back and it has been very discouraging. So far this is my 2nd batch of crystals, the first batch all vanish; , i am down to only 7 crs left from 21. what is going on?

basic info
10gal fully planted tank
amo -0
nit -0
ph -7.5
kh -40
gh -30

MKD
10-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I think your KH & GH are way too high. you need to find way to low them down. Do you even see your crs empty shell?

http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/

DiscusOnly
10-27-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't know why my crs are vanishing? i just started the hobby 5mth back and it has been very discouraging. So far this is my 2nd batch of crystals, the first batch all vanish; , i am down to only 7 crs left from 21. what is going on?

basic info
10gal fully planted tank
amo -0
nit -0
ph -7.5
kh -40
gh -30

If those are correct parameters for your tank, you are not going to have much luck with CRS. Try kh below 2 and gh in the 4-6 range. Reconsititute water may be the way for you if those reading are from tap water.

Van

lipadj46
10-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing you are giving GH and KH in ppm so your KH is around 2 degrees and GH is around 2. Try to up your GH to 6 (using a shrimp specific GH booster if possible) and keep your KH under 1 using RO or distilled water. You can use peat or almond leaves to lower pH to under 7. Don't do too many water water changes and just top off with distilled/ro water. Make sure your tank is well established and only feed every other day to every three days.

Supatank
10-28-2012, 04:42 PM
no empty shell and no dead body anywhere in or outside the tank.

Supatank
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm guessing you are giving GH and KH in ppm so your KH is around 2 degrees and GH is around 2. Try to up your GH to 6 (using a shrimp specific GH booster if possible) and keep your KH under 1 using RO or distilled water. You can use peat or almond leaves to lower pH to under 7. Don't do too many water water changes and just top off with distilled/ro water. Make sure your tank is well established and only feed every other day to every three days.

correct, it off of those ppm api 5in1 test strip. its very hard to find thing for shrimp in my town. Is there a natural way to boost the gh?

Supatank
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
If those are correct parameters for your tank, you are not going to have much luck with CRS. Try kh below 2 and gh in the 4-6 range. Reconsititute water may be the way for you if those reading are from tap water.

Van

van,

Those are off the tank water, i haven't try testing the tap yet. I will post here once i get the chance.

Supatank
10-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Is there a way test the TDS off the KH & Gh?

DiscusOnly
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Are you using tap water for your tank? Anything else in the tank beside crs? What's the tank temp?

Definitely get the gh up. I don't use any shrimp water product. I only use R/O right and calcium chloride to on my RO only shrimp tank.

Another thing to consider is the quality of crs stock. It makes a huge differences regardless of grade.

lipadj46
10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
correct, it off of those ppm api 5in1 test strip. its very hard to find thing for shrimp in my town. Is there a natural way to boost the gh?

The cheapest way to go is to use plaster of paris and epsom salts mixed, 3 parts plaster of paris (CaSO4) to 1 part epsom salts (MgSO4). Some plaster of paris may have too much Calcium Carbonate though and raise KH too much. Depends on the batch. You can buy CaCl2 as ice melter too. I would go over to plantedtank.net and buy some Mosura Mineral plus though.

Curt
10-30-2012, 02:58 PM
If those are your tank params your PH is way to high. You could keep Neo Cardina Spcs no problem, Cherrys and the like. But crystals need a soft water low ph. I am told 6-6.5 is best. my ph was around 6.6 when I had them in my 55 and they did fine.

Curt

Supatank
11-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Are you using tap water for your tank? Anything else in the tank beside crs? What's the tank temp?

Definitely get the gh up. I don't use any shrimp water product. I only use R/O right and calcium chloride to on my RO only shrimp tank.

Another thing to consider is the quality of crs stock. It makes a huge differences regardless of grade.

I'm using only tap water because the person who sold them to me said that is all he used. I housed them with rcs and the temp is 74-75f. I have s,ss,sss grade crs.

Supatank
11-03-2012, 09:31 AM
The cheapest way to go is to use plaster of paris and epsom salts mixed, 3 parts plaster of paris (CaSO4) to 1 part epsom salts (MgSO4). Some plaster of paris may have too much Calcium Carbonate though and raise KH too much. Depends on the batch. You can buy CaCl2 as ice melter too. I would go over to plantedtank.net and buy some Mosura Mineral plus though.

I'll try the epson salt method first, then i will buy some mosura mineral.

Supatank
11-03-2012, 09:33 AM
If those are your tank params your PH is way to high. You could keep Neo Cardina Spcs no problem, Cherrys and the like. But crystals need a soft water low ph. I am told 6-6.5 is best. my ph was around 6.6 when I had them in my 55 and they did fine.

Curt

I did a diy co2 and it lower it around ph6.5.

Supatank
11-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Update:

I only have 5 left, i don't know where the other went but i haven't seen them for days.