PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size: 120 Gallon or 50 Gallon?

thegundog
10-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Thinking about a Discus set up, will be my first.

I have the following empty tanks and wanted suggestions on which size would be best for me.

With the need for very frequent water changes I'm leaning toward the 50 gallon.

120 Gallon = 48x24x25

50 Gallon = 36x18x19

Appreciate some input.

Second Hand Pat
10-28-2012, 08:27 AM
First welcome to Simply and if discus are new to you (guessing they are based on your question), please spend time on the site reading the stickies and doing some research. A little knowledge and education will benefit your success with discus. A good place to start is the stickies in this section.

As to your question; the 120 is by far the best choice for six or more adult discus. The 50 would serve very nicely as a grow out tank or a QT.

Pat

DiscusLoverJeff
10-28-2012, 09:07 AM
+1 on the welcome.

As Pat suggested the stickies are your best best getting started. Know where you want to be this time say next year with discus will help in your decision. Discus do require more work than most and if you know how much time you want to invest, you can decide from there.

Discus do prefer to be in groups of 5 or more, so the bigger tank will give them space to grow. The bigger tank is good if you purchase some bigger than 2 inches each. With good filtration and water changes it will help their growth rate. Also for starters, possibly a bare bottom tank so it will be easier to clean and maintain for you.

Good luck, keep us posted. Thier are many sponsers here who sell discus, check it out.

shoveltrash
10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
hi & welcome!
........and oh how Jealous I am......'wish I had an empty 120 sitting around :D.
bigger is better imho

please do read up here - this forum is a wealth of information! and the sponsors are highly recommended, for buying quality Discus :).

thegundog
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you for the welcome and suggestions on tank size....

I kinda knew the 120 would be the proper tank and that's what I will go with.

The suggestion to read the stickies was also a good one, have spent most of the day reading the forum becoming more knowledgeable on Discus keeping - this is an amzing site....

I'm really excited as the more I read the more I realize that many of my current practices will carry into proper Discus keeping. Four of my six tanks are bare bottom and all of my tanks contain sponge filters.

thegundog
10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
hi & welcome!
........and oh how Jealous I am......'wish I had an empty 120 sitting around :D.

I spend too much time on Craigslist and can't pass up a really good deal...

As a result I also have several filtration options "not in use".

I have an extra 30 gallon which I think might make for a very nice sump for the 120.... but I also have an EHEIM 2229 AND I have a couple of Fluval 405's. But anyway that's another thread.