PDA

View Full Version : No power

krislewis3
10-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Ok guys...the east cost, where I live is expecting a power outage for an extending time!!! I have 2 battery powered air pumps that will hook up to my sponge filter. I'm at a lose to know how to keep 65 gallons of water warm......please suggest...please, please, please!! Kris

BlackComet94
10-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Raise temp a bit then insulated the tank.

Brokenrack
10-28-2012, 09:47 AM
your in better shape than me! But if you have gas powered water heater or stove that doesn't need electric then lower the water level a little and fill two liter bottles with hot water and float them in tank. I'm over stocked in a couple tanks so I may have to dump a few nice fish. I have chloramines so water changes prob will do more harm than good.

seanyuki
10-28-2012, 10:18 AM
If likely to happen often without power in the house perhaps get one of those gasoline generators at Home Depot for around US $189.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100637533/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=power+generator&storeId=10051#.UI0-GoayHMo

hope this helps

Poco
10-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Generator is your best option if you can find one.

senior el roboto
10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
If likely to happen often without power in the house perhaps get one of those gasoline generators at Home Depot for around US $189.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100637533/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=power+generator&storeId=10051#.UI0-GoayHMo

hope this helps

As luck may have it he/she prob lives in an apartment bld where they are not allowed.

Keith Perkins
10-28-2012, 03:34 PM
If you have a gas cooktop pouring a gallon of HOT water in occasionally as needed is one route to go. Even if you have electronic ignition a match will light a gas burner just as well.

bobdon
10-28-2012, 07:20 PM
heat water on stove

tonytheboss1
10-28-2012, 09:40 PM
:bandana: If you don't already have back up power it's too late so lower the water level a bit, use the battery pumps for airation & periodically add some hot water to keep the temp up. If prolonged outage, drain some - add some. That's my plan 'B'!! My plan 'A' is good for about 15hrs with auto-start ..... http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/backup-power/xpower-powersource-1800.aspx "T"

ronald sherman
10-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Sadly i'm in the east coast phila pa and been sick lately and started a discus tank about 2 month's ago 75 gallon 8 beautiful fisf from kenny, haven't prepared 4 a power outage never had 1 in the past 10 yr's that i can remember longer than 1 hr wondering if i should cut back or stop feeding as i used safe too cycle too help prevent any mini cycle have gas hot water so that's covered wondering if i remove so water then re-fill every 1 hr if that would add extra oxygen the fish need too live?

shawnhu
10-29-2012, 02:27 AM
If you want oxygen, all you need to do is use a quart and manually do a waterfall effect within the tank. Controlling the toxic levels should be your #1 concern.

krislewis3
10-29-2012, 04:44 AM
your in better shape than me! But if you have gas powered water heater or stove that doesn't need electric then lower the water level a little and fill two liter bottles with hot water and float them in tank. I'm over stocked in a couple tanks so I may have to dump a few nice fish. I have chloramines so water changes prob will do more harm than good.

My stove etc. Is all electric!!!!

krislewis3
10-29-2012, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE=shawnhu;944128]If you want oxygen, all you need to do is use a quart and manually do a waterfall effect within the tank. Controlling the toxic levels should be your #1 concern.[/I have my air power source hooked up to my 2 sponge filters. I also have battery's that I can run this with...therefore I'm good with the BB, and filtration!!!

edward1
10-30-2012, 01:43 AM
HELP anyone ASAP i'm in the east coast log in on a different computer and name as i'm without electric 4 five hr's now sadly did not prepare draining 5 gallon's out and replaceing water with hot slowly i'm mainting temp but have no air or battery operate pump i have a airstone in and blewing air every 5 min and doing the same too hopefully get the sponge filter a bit alive any fast reply and suggest as i can only stay on line where i'm at before i need too go home btw have 8 of kenny's discus in a 75 gallon tank setup 4 2 month's any suggestion please, lol

shawnhu
10-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Prime the water to prevent ammonia burns and create surface disruption for O2.

edward1
10-30-2012, 02:08 AM
THANK YOU so much i did add prime twice before logging off i'm new at this what is the best way too *** surface disruption i've been taking 5 gallon's out once a hr and replaceing with hot water and blew air into a airstone and sponge filter any other suggestion

Elliots
10-30-2012, 08:34 AM
I live in lower Manhattan. The radio said no electric for 3-4 days. I guess I am lucky that I postponed buying Discus until after Thanksgiving. I will airate my water by dumping water in and out. I will also use prime to offset ammonia. I have a large bioload but no rare or expensive fish, mostly tetras, corys and loaches. I will see what the casulties are by the weekend. Oh well, I guess I had too many fish anyway.

bogia99
10-30-2012, 11:27 AM
diy heat bottle -> put as much salt into a 2L bottle as possible, fill it up with water and leave 1" airspace for expansion, drop the bottle in the 120F-???F water and let it soak up the heat, and then drop the bottle into your tank for overnight. I have never tried to find out the melting point of the salt water bottle so be careful there. Salt absorbs a lot more heat than pure water and it will keep your tank warm for a longer duration. # of bottles will depend on how large is your tank. Good luck.

krislewis3
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
How do ypu heat the water if you have no power????? My stove etc is electric!!!!!

krislewis3
10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
HELP anyone ASAP i'm in the east coast log in on a different computer and name as i'm without electric 4 five hr's now sadly did not prepare draining 5 gallon's out and replaceing water with hot slowly i'm mainting temp but have no air or battery operate pump i have a airstone in and blewing air every 5 min and doing the same too hopefully get the sponge filter a bit alive any fast reply and suggest as i can only stay on line where i'm at before i need too go home btw have 8 of kenny's discus in a 75 gallon tank setup 4 2 month's any suggestion please, lol

I have 2 battery powered pumps that power my sponge filters, which also provides air through the air stone that connects to the sponge filter!!! They were about 10.00 each.....which does not include the size c batteries....pretty cheap to save expensive fish!! My only issue is keepinfg the tank warm, since my stove etc. Is all electric.

Harry Marsh
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I will be curious if anyone loses fish to temperature
That would be my worry

I have a fish room. I would use a propane heater to keep the entire room heated

One tank in a room?
Propane heater/stove could work, but probably not available

bobdon
10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
electric stove use a match

bonginator
10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Do you have a propane camping stove? Might be an alternative if you only have electric. Maybe a neighbor has one?

BODYDUB
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
I would've bought a gas powered generator to keep everything running in the tank...................

krislewis3
10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
I did look into that during the last episode, and of course every one was out of them. Even so, after the research, to get one that would do the job for several days, we are talking about 800.00 and up!! The less expensive generators didn't seem like they would do the job. Does anyone out there have, and used any of the cheaper generators, and give me advise on those.

flexo248
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
my power was out for 24 hr. and i used a car jump start and hook it up to a car cig. invertor and it works for like an hour.... make sure the inverter is size to your heater...... i have a 300 W and the inverter is only 175 but luckly i kept my 50W heater so that helped.

also i did a 5 gal 90deg water change every 1-2 hours to keep the water at 84-86...i used a small propane burner to boiler water and mix with sink water until it is 90 deg.

hope this help

Keith Perkins
10-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I watched the local news tonight and they were at a nearby community at the Generac company. They're currently working 24 hours a day loading semi-loads of generators heading east. So if you think you need one don't assume they won't be available, or at least very soon at a local Home Depot etc.

Here's a link to Walmarts prices.

$320 800 watts
$480 1600 watts

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15862622?adid=22222222227009182983&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13692148990&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Elliots
11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I live in apartment in Lower Manhattan. Power expected back tomorrow or Saturday. As yet no casulties. Tank temperature in 60s this morning. I hope all is well! Once again, I glad I did not spend $600 plus plus plus on Discus yet. I will not be deterred, I will have discus within 30 days if my power ever comes on again!

BroodNV
11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Last year during the October snowstorm i lost all my fish. This year i had no power for 6 days and just took water out and replaced with warm water and prime every few hours. I was lucky that my hot water still worked. Didn'e lose a single fish this year.

tonytheboss1
11-06-2012, 08:17 PM
:bandana: If you don't already have back up power it's too late so lower the water level a bit, use the battery pumps for airation & periodically add some hot water to keep the temp up. If prolonged outage, drain some - add some. That's my plan 'B'!! My plan 'A' is good for about 15hrs with auto-start ..... http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/backup-power/xpower-powersource-1800.aspx "T"

UPDATE!! POWER BACK FINALLY!! It was touch & go for about close to 4 days. Backup lasted 14hrs the first time. Partial recharge in the car gave me 8hrs, recharge, 8hrs recharge etc. till the block came back online. -0- casualties for the tank. No food for almost 88hrs but all are eating well (even the cats came out of hiding for the first food). Will continue to monitor but so far so good. "T"

random-cichlid
11-06-2012, 08:25 PM
blowing in to your air stone will be putting co2 in your water not oxygen apart from the actual surface disruption from the bubbles hitting the surface

BODYDUB
11-06-2012, 09:35 PM
blowing in to your air stone will be putting co2 in your water not oxygen apart from the actual surface disruption from the bubbles hitting the surface
That's a negative ghost rider, it's actually putting O2 in the water. It's the bubbles that disturb the top of the waters surface that cause the O2 exchange......................