PDA

View Full Version : Prime before or after (aging question)

Oscarsx
10-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Do you guys add your dechlorinator in your aging barrel or directly in your tank.

I've read that adding dechlorinator in your aging barrel creates bacteria, is that true?

I'm adding prime during my aging process, wondering if I should change things up to avoid problems.
- oz

lipadj46
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
After

Oscarsx
10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Care to explain why, or is it just a preference.

- oz

Poco
10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
I add it directly to the tank not to the aging barrel. Adding prime to barrel will not create bacteria out of the blue, my understanding is if there is bacteria in the aging barrel it will grow in de-cholrinated water but if you dont add prime/safe bacteria will not survive in chlorinated water.

Oscarsx
10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Makes perfect sense, if I decided to change things now should I do it now or is there a system I should follow to slowly get them used to it, thanks for your answer.

- oz

Eddie
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Directly to the tank prior to filling, never the aging barrel as it can create slime build up.

drew22to375
10-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I am always learning new stuff on here. I have been adding prime to my aging tank. So when adding purine to the main tank only do you add just enough for the volume you are adding from the wc or the entire tank volume.

Sent from my DROIDX

Oscarsx
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
I am always learning new stuff on here. I have been adding prime to my aging tank. So when adding purine to the main tank only do you add just enough for the volume you are adding from the wc or the entire tank volume.

Sent from my DROIDX

I've been doing the same for months, I just cleaned out my barrel and started this new method.

As for your question I would do just the amount you took out of your tank, that's what I've always done. Plus it saves you prime :)

- oz

DiscusDrew
10-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Prime on re-fill, prime tank, add back water, no chemicals in barrels as a general rule. Keep it clean pure water, minimize your own maintenance. I have way too much storage water to be cleaning barrels every week because of excess compounds being in the water. I would just assume most people save themselves the hassle as well. I still wipe down barrels about every month or two.