PDA

View Full Version : RO Problems

Trier20
10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
I recently bought a used RO unit from the LFS. Owner only had it working for 3 months then figured out he needed a larger one. This is a 300gpd unit. It had a section of tubing missing where I later found out this is were a permeate pump was. It has to membranes on it and 3 canisters at 20-40 miscrons, 10 microns and 5 microns. When I first got this unit the pressure ran about 55psi. I switched out the canister filters to the ones mentioned now and shortly after that my pressure has dropped to about 20-23psi. I'm looking to purchase a booster pump for the unit but before I do that do you think i should get new membranes for it? Oh also the production went from about 200gpd to around 60-80. Thanks

Keith Perkins
10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't have an answer to your question Brandon, but I do have a question. Do you know how long the unit sat idle before you got it and what was done with the membrane during that time? I question the condition of the membrane based on the fact your water production went down when you changed your filters. My unit isn't that old and I've only changed out my filters once so far, but production and pressure sure didn't drop off when I did it.

nwehrman
10-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Does it have a flush on it? The flow restrictor also could be clogged.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trier20
10-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Nicole ill be honest. I wouldn't know what a flush looks like if it jumped out and but me. I'll take a pic and post it see if you can recognize anything.

Keith Perkins
10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
I'd do a little goggling with Nicole's suggestions.

Trier20
10-29-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't have an answer to your question Brandon, but I do have a question. Do you know how long the unit sat idle before you got it and what was done with the membrane during that time? I question the condition of the membrane based on the fact your water production went down when you changed your filters. My unit isn't that old and I've only changed out my filters once so far, but production and pressure sure didn't drop off when I did it.

Keith I'm not sure how long it sat idle.

Trier20
10-29-2012, 11:26 PM

Trier20
10-29-2012, 11:55 PM

Tommo
10-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Here's a pic showing the flush on a RO unit. It's best to flush the membrane once a week to extend the its life.

Hope this helps?

Trier20
10-30-2012, 11:40 AM
So you close that and let the water drain out? Mine doesn't have that.

Brent1972
10-30-2012, 12:24 PM
So you close that and let the water drain out? Mine doesn't have that.

Have a look at this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7rYNyL2eY It should explain all .

In the second pic you have a auto shut off valve fitted.

Trier20
10-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks Brent! Yea I have one of the flush kits but I don't have the restrictor on it....... this is where the section of hose is missing. So the water has been flowing unrestricted through the unit. Looks like I may have to go over and through the entire thing.....*sigh*

Mr.Al
11-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi Trier20, if you have a store hereby you that produces and sells bottled R/O water and services R/O units they sell, they might be able to look at your unit and see what is wrong and what parts you need to run your unit properly. I use to have a 150gdd unit with booster pump and even though I didn't purchased the unit from them. They were very kind to flush the member and replace the inserts for the housing units. I know my unit came with a back flush, and I used everytime before having the unit produce R/O water. The waste water outpour is higher than the R/o output. The pressure gauge read around 35 to 50ppm and it did take 24 hours to get the 150gpd. Keeps us posted on how things work out for ya....Mr.Al

DiscusLoverJeff
11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Brandon,

There are 2 types of flow restrictors, one that looks like this, it seats inside the end of the tubing

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=RO1210&child=RO1213&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=RO1213&gclid=COao1ZeotLMCFegWMgodZkcAbg

And then there is this type. Which if you had it, you would spot it.

http://www.waterfiltersfast.com/FLOW600-Flow-Restrictor-for-75-GPD-RO-Quick-Connect_p_6188.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=nextag

Since we both have a 300gpd unit, I can tell you that you will find out quickly that you will burn through filters faster depending on your daily usage.

I had to install a pre filter, followed by the booster pump, then the ro unit, then to the DI unit.

Hopefully all you need is to install the flow restrictor, which in your case would be at least a 1200. Once you do that and if you find your pressure is still low, you may need to do what I did and replace all the filters and membrane. Now my system is holding at 80psi.

Good luck!

nwehrman
11-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I have the second type of flow restrictor Brandon. But either would work, just be sure it's sized for your membrane.

Nicole

nwehrman
11-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Here is my flush and flow restrictor setup

Nicole

nwehrman
11-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Better pic ... Had to move DI

Nicole

Trier20
11-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I have looked through my unit a little bit. The flow restrictors and the one you pout into the line. I have a valve but realized after I installed that input it in the wrong spot lol :) BUT when I did close it even in the wrong spot I noticed my psi rose ~15-20psi. So on my day off I will have to go and install it correctly.. Thanks everyone for your help so far. Ill keep you updated on how things are going.

nwehrman
11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Keep us posted

Nicole

Trier20
11-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I went through everything on it Wednesday and couldn't find anything peculiar. It does not have a flush either. I fixed a few minor drips. The membranes are working well with a tds of 28-30. I'm just going to guess the first two stages of prefilters are junked up. I replaced them about 3 months ago and used it for about a month-ish. The canisters on that thing are 22" and filters are 20" I think. Most places I look I can't find filters that long. I got the last ones at culligen but they were out of this world expensive and not what I wanted. Any suggestions on a good place to get filters?

nwehrman
11-10-2012, 01:07 AM
I saw lots of that size on eBay ... Was shopping for a whole house filter also.

My pump just got here - haven't had time to look at hookup yet

Nicole

Trier20
11-10-2012, 03:30 AM
I saw lots of that size on eBay ... Was shopping for a whole house filter also.

My pump just got here - haven't had time to look at hookup yet

Nicole

If you don't mind me asking what did you pick up your pump for? And thanks ill check out eBay!

Buckeye Field Supply
01-29-2013, 05:27 AM
I looked at the pics you posted - and based upon what you wrote I'd recommend you change your prefilter configuration. Looks like you are asking your carbon blocks to also act as prefilters. Especially with a flow rates associated with a 300 gpd system, and with 10" x 2.5" prefilters, that's a no-no!

The concept of each successive prefilter having a smaller pore size is fine, but it APPLIES TO SEDIMENT FILTERS ONLY.

Russ