PDA

View Full Version : Co2 with Discus

Warren2308
10-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Hi I am wanting some advice using co2 in a Discus show tank.I have kept Discus for 5+ years with 0 problems,but NEVER had co2 before.Any advice?

Kingdom Come Discus
10-30-2012, 04:16 AM
I have seen it cause lateral line erosion.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-30-2012, 06:27 AM
I ran CO2 in my 95 gallon planted tank for over 2 years with no issues at all.

Warren2308
10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Great good to know.Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quangfee
10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
I ran CO2 in my 95 gallon planted tank for over 2 years with no issues at all.
Hi, I'd like to know how much will it cost to run CO2

Warren2308
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
The system cost $200 and its about $10 a month to run.

Lenin
10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
The first time that you wake up and find your $200 discus gasping for air is what makes you rethink this, it happend to me and another person here locally.

discuspaul
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
The successful discus-keepers I know of, who also keep their discus successfully without issues in a high-tech planted environment using CO2 do so, or have done so after having separately gained both some reasonable experience keeping discus, as well as having properly maintained & monitored a stable pressurized CO2 system.

The problem with discus-keepers moving into keeping them in a high-tech CO2 environment, without first having become familiar with and adept at maintaining a stable C02 set-up, is that they may likely experience, or certainly are more prone to experience, large, rapid pH swings, perhaps on a daily basis - thereby creating a potential problem for the discus.
I believe it's best to develop familiarity with using CO2 first in a planted tank with other, less expensive fish than discus, before proceeding to use it for the first time in an otherwise low-tech planted discus tank.

Oscarsx
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
The first time that you wake up and find your $200 discus gasping for air is what makes you rethink this, it happend to me and another person here locally.

You have to adjust your co2 levels before you add any fish into that tank, best to have a drop checker or a ph controller.

that's a human error not the co2.

Oscarsx
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi, I'd like to know how much will it cost to run CO2

You can put one yourself for about $150-200 depending on regulator quality and extra small misc stuff you may need..

My 5lb co2 cylinder refills every 3 months or so.

Warren2308
10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Mmmmmm maybe it's best to give co2 a miss.

mougliblore
11-05-2012, 03:41 AM
I moved my juvenile discus to a Planted setup this week which is running on a co2 setup. I have the sponge filter running in the sump which is sufficiently aerating the water before sending it to the display tank. Its working without any issues till now and the discus seems happy too..

Warren2308
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Ended up getting one.Running it for two hours in the mornings and everything seems to be good.Ph does not move much.
Fish look happy.

Altum Nut
11-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi I am wanting some advice using co2 in a Discus show tank.I have kept Discus for 5+ years with 0 problems,but NEVER had co2 before.Any advice?

Didn't take you long to jump the gun.
Co2 is not something you just jump into without a fair amount of research first.
What system did you get and why are you only running it just in the morning?
Are you using a reactor?
You should not have surface agitation.
Hope it works out for you.

...Ralph

BroodNV
11-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I've been running CO2 in my 90g for over 8 years with only 1 issue. Woke up one morning and all my fish were gasping for air after my electric solenoid broke and was just dumping CO2 into the water. PH controller was useless at that point cause it couldnt close the valve in the solenoid. Everything survived though.

discuspaul
11-06-2012, 07:07 PM
I've been running CO2 in my 90g for over 8 years with only 1 issue. Woke up one morning and all my fish were gasping for air after my electric solenoid broke and was just dumping CO2 into the water. PH controller was useless at that point cause it couldnt close the valve in the solenoid. Everything survived though.

Did you have discus in that tank at the time, Brood ?

DiscusLoverJeff
11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
My CO2 system cost $250.00 and that included a new 10 lbs aluminum tank. I was succesfully able to run my 95 gallon planted tank and a 30 gallon plant/shrimp tank. I started out with about 1 bubble a second using a bubble counter and good diffuser. After a month I increased to 2 bubbles and then finally settled in at 3 bubbles per second and had good succes. My system came with a in-tank ph meter so I was able to monitor the ph swing everyday.

My discus, cardinal tetras and cories never had any effects from the CO2. Plants grew nice and discus did as well. I monitored all water parameters daily for the first couple of months to be sure no spikes in nitrates/nitrites, all was good. 2 years later everyone was still fine and no loss of fish due to CO2.

Good luck.

discuspaul
11-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Jeff, I gather you had some previous experience keeping discus. But whether you did or not, you were obviously very careful adjusting & monitoring your CO2 pressurized system, and you seem to have done all the right things with it. That's just great - but unfortunately, some new discus-keepers who are not familiar with running a high-tech C02'd planted tank don't often have those good results. It can be a disappointing exercise, folks, if you don't do the right things keeping discus in a high-tech environment to begin with.

BroodNV
11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Did you have discus in that tank at the time, Brood ?

No, had angels, apistos, rams and tetras at this time.

Warren2308
11-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Good advice.Thanks

DiscusLoverJeff
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
That's just great - but unfortunately, some new discus-keepers who are not familiar with running a high-tech C02'd planted tank don't often have those good results. It can be a disappointing exercise, folks, if you don't do the right things keeping discus in a high-tech environment to begin with.

Very true Paul in your statement. That is why I started out with very low CO2 in the tank. For the newbie, it requires monitoring your water parameters everyday.

Also, depending on the size of the tank they are using they can always build the DIY CO2 system for a couple dollars (2L bottle, sugar, yeast, airline tubing and small amount of silicone). YouTube has some great DIY builds. This would save them from spending over $200.00 on a system and not succeed.

bigbutt
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I've been running CO2 in my discus tank for almost 10 yrs. First in a 65 gal and now in a 90 gal. Never had an issue with the CO2. Had an issue when I had to move the tank. Unfortunately I lost 6 discus as a result.

kalawai
11-14-2012, 01:42 AM
I run DIY CO2 during the day and run air at night on my 75. I don't care to prune every single week as I rather save time for my fish.