PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Discus in Eastern Oklahoma/Western Arkansas

bennieporter
10-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Many pet stores in this area (Fort Smith, Ar, and Poteau, OK), but none want to carry Discus (Petco, Just Fish, Middle Earth, etc.). One store even claimed to have them in stock online with pictures (I was so excited at first), until they told me that the website is a year old and they don't even carry them anymore. I was lucky to buy 2 Blue Diamond Discus at petco, but they haven't stocked any since other than only one, and he/she was sickly. Import prices are outrageous and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Discus sellers in this area. It sucks living in this type of rural area because us Discus lovers have very few options and take many chances for getting our fish which can get expensive over time.

PS: I even called the Muskogee Petco and they don't carry Discus! Other places, the most I can do is have them special order, making me question the quality of the fish not knowing the source.

pastry
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Bennie, if you spend enough time on this site then not only will you fall in love with all the sponsor's discus (that you'll see pics of on her) but you'll trust them & their quality. Not sure of any breeders out your way. Yes, it's expensive to pay for shipping but totally worth it.

bennieporter
10-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Bennie, if you spend enough time on this site then not only will you fall in love with all the sponsor's discus (that you'll see pics of on her) but you'll trust them & their quality. Not sure of any breeders out your way. Yes, it's expensive to pay for shipping but totally worth it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already looked at the Floridadiscus site and I am looking at several others. Actually good prices so far, but the expected high shipping. Still, this may be my only option and I would at least know I am getting good fish from reputable sources.

Thanks, and I love this site!

Dogvet06
10-30-2012, 03:35 PM
read all the stickies in the beginner section and learn what to look for....ive been through many pet store discus and believe me buying from a sponsor on here is like night and day!

Discus-Hans
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi Bennie,

all pricing and stock you can find on our online store www.discusfishstore.com

If you make an account and put some Discus in your "basket" and go to check out, you get also the shipping cost BEFORE you pay,

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Hans
Discus Hans USA

BABYJIZAY
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Buying fish from sponsors on this site and buying from local stores is vastly different. Very much worth the shipping. I have purchased from Hans and have nothing but positive things to say. Local fish stores do not have the skill required to take care of discus and I have found they are always stressed and die soon. Buying from sponsors such as Hans has yielded me discus that remain healthy and pair up. Just my 2 cents.

Elliots
11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
If you look at Hans' prices and add shipping the prices are still probably less that what your LFS would ask. The shipping prices make it smarter to buy all your fish at once. Buying all your fish at once is usually a good idea no matter where you buy, less chance of new fish adding something you do not want in your tank. If you have a local friend who also wants to buy you can split the shipping.

pastry
11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Elliots is exactly RIGHT... even with shipping, you'll pay LESS than if you buy from a local store (unless you buy discus one at a time... you don't want to do that though). Still, don't think that discus need to be pampered and are so delicate that they're too much a of a pain in the @$$, it's just that, like BabyJ said, the LFS don't have the skill and/or won't dedicate the time & care needed.

John_Nicholson
11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I always recommend sponsors..especially Hans. If you ever get down to Dallas there are several small time breeders in this area.

-john